When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello And A Question

Antonio:

I know sometimes people (newbies) react negatively to the "take some time and read" advise...people are not trying to give you a hard time...it really is the best advise you can get. As you read, you'll find that all reps are from China and the "swiss" part generally refers to reps with ETA movements (which are swiss, but probably assembled in China!).....as you read you'll start to see the range of options available: are you a R*lex person? And if you are is it daydate or sub? Stainless or TwoTone? And of course Panerai...wait till you see the choices from the 111h to the new davidsen PVDs....speaking of that do you prefer vintage (r*lex DRSD) or new....Panerai: sandwich dial, suasage dial pre-V or pre-A?

6 months ago I couldn't have conceptionalized these questions, let alone known the answers and how they translated into purchase decisions. And the dealers...everyone has their experiences and preferences AND for the most part have documented those on the board.

So, the best advice (which i suspect you won't take--especially the buying part) is don't buy anything for two weeks and read as much as you can. Once you've done that, you'll get a sense of the field and you'll enjoy the hobby even more. Otherwise, just buy the best sub.....

jeff

Antonio

It appears you have been a member here all of 14 minutes.

Might I suggest you have a look around and read for a few days before asking this question? There is no easy answer to your question.

True, I am new here. But been researching for days, actually on and off for weeks. It's funny, every forum or review site seems to be tied to a bunch of preferred sellers, leading me to wonder the legitimacy of any of it. I know it's a hard thing to figure out, esp. considering the subject matter. globalreplica seems to have some good reviews, yet those could all be made up. And they sell swiss, or what they claim to be, for $850+. I want a rep that I can wear daily for years, would rather get something decent. At least to "fake it until I make it" and can buy a real one.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I am studying the site as I'm participating in this thread.

Antonio:

I know sometimes people (newbies) react negatively to the "take some time and read" advise...people are not trying to give you a hard time...it really is the best advise you can get. As you read, you'll find that all reps are from China and the "swiss" part generally refers to reps with ETA movements (which are swiss, but probably assembled in China!).....as you read you'll start to see the range of options available: are you a R*lex person? And if you are is it daydate or sub? Stainless or TwoTone? And of course Panerai...wait till you see the choices from the 111h to the new davidsen PVDs....speaking of that do you prefer vintage (r*lex DRSD) or new....Panerai: sandwich dial, suasage dial pre-V or pre-A?

6 months ago I couldn't have conceptionalized these questions, let alone known the answers and how they translated into purchase decisions. And the dealers...everyone has their experiences and preferences AND for the most part have documented those on the board.

So, the best advice (which i suspect you won't take--especially the buying part) is don't buy anything for two weeks and read as much as you can. Once you've done that, you'll get a sense of the field and you'll enjoy the hobby even more. Otherwise, just buy the best sub.....

jeff

Jeff,

A friend and I are buying together. Probably a sub, though I like Sea Dwellers because they have no cyclops to be badly-aligned, haha. And looking at stainless because if I can find a quality one, it won't wear out as fast.

-Antonio

True, I am new here. But been researching for days, actually on and off for weeks. It's funny, every forum or review site seems to be tied to a bunch of preferred sellers, leading me to wonder the legitimacy of any of it. I know it's a hard thing to figure out, esp. considering the subject matter. globalreplica seems to have some good reviews, yet those could all be made up. And they sell swiss, or what they claim to be, for $850+. I want a rep that I can wear daily for years, would rather get something decent. At least to "fake it until I make it" and can buy a real one.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I am studying the site as I'm participating in this thread.

Well, a quick note of advice.... Never pay $850 + for a rep from one of those sites.... You can get the same (in most cases better) for less than $200 after you do some research. Take what buckeye says to heart. The more you know the better you'll understand.

Before some time i was looking at the 850$ price tag cause i wanted a decent rep that could last, now i can get that decent rep that could last for years spending around 200$. Eventualy everything will be come crystal clear, stay here and you will see what the matrix is, hopefully you got out of it, you are here .

John

First of all to Buckeye I applaud you.....................execellent post :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Antonio all I can suggest is to at least take the time to get to know this forum, you will soon come to realise that this site has something all the others lack openess.

You will find that we have over 2000 members from all around the world many of who are very active in posting each day, that the dealers are real people who can and often do participate in to forum discussions and you will find that the watches that you believed were $800 - $1000 are in fact up to a quarter of that cost here.

Quite simply you have stumbled upon rep heaven you just need time to realise that.

So Antonio welcome to RWG and patience my friend patience. :)

Ken

A healthy dose of skepticism -- You're going to be just fine!

You are quite correct, the sites you see all over the net that profess to be consumer oriented are generally bogus. The difference you will find here is, YOU can post, YOU can say whatever you like, and YOU will find yourself fielding the heat of stinging remarks in the event you get stupid - and the most common stupid is, "OMG, I have been ripped off, I sent my money to DEALER_ABC two weeks ago and I haven't got a watch yet."

One clue - go to the various consumer sites and see if you find open conversation critical of the chosen dealers. Check here for example, identify a dealer who appears to be "In," and then see if anyone says anything bad about them - you will find that every dealer has some complaints.

On the scam sites, you will find a far different relationship.

Also, on a site like this, you will soon gat a feel for people's very, VERY different personalities. You will see pictures posted that are obviously the poster's real watch on their real wrists, or in some other situation that is obviously something they took.

You will see posts of problems, where the same people, over and over and over take their time to try and help.

Just read a while, look at pics, read reviews and shop for a DEALER. Once you have made a decision as to which Dealer you want to try, buy something from them and be patient for a few weeks until your watch arrives.

This place is legit.

Bill

Jeff,

A friend and I are buying together. Probably a sub, though I like Sea Dwellers because they have no cyclops to be badly-aligned, haha. And looking at stainless because if I can find a quality one, it won't wear out as fast.

-Antonio

If you check past posts, you will find that I argued precisely that same point. In fact, if you find the right post about SD's, you will find that some nutcase, who probably had a few too many beers that evening (or mebbe it was bourbon) made the statement that if someone reading his review of the watch he bought, and bought that particular SD from the same dealer he got his from, and then found it was not exactly what he said it was, he'd buy it from them at the purchase price.

LOL

Bill

Hello Antonio,

and welcome ! I'm a newbie too, and I can advice you of only one thing, as pointed out by others: Read, read,read.........and learn learn learn. And you will be confused, confused, confused. Just the moment you think you start to get a clue, you will read just a couple more threads, and realize you didn''t.

If you wanted to by a car and stumbled accross a site like this, you would end up with no car in two years but a lot of knowledge about engines, transmission, suspension, chassis, maintenance, strong and weak points, possible dealers, their families, where they live and how they run their business :D .

So, be patient and you will find your way to the promised land!

jens

Another one saved from the clutches of scam rep sites! Good job guys!

Welcome Antonio... everything you need is right here. Have fun and prepare to have less money! ^^

Haha, so far, I'm on my way. Excited to see what is out there, and happy to combine my visual (photographic) sense with fine watches. First one is on its way, should ship this coming weekend. We'll see how long it takes to get to me.

-Antonio

soooo many conflicting sites and reviews?!!! :blink:

now i am confused! where did you find that!!!!

take your time...do a research..there is plenty of usefull- priceless info on this forum...you'll realize everything by spending some time on the forum...

welcome...enjoy your stay and you'll find yourself what are you searching of..no need of any info from other members...everything about it was and is already written...just read!

Hello all. I'm new to this, and confused. There are so many sites. I want to buy a true swiss rep. but there are SOOO many conflicting sites and reviews. How do I find the truth?

Do you want help or a stock answer?

If you want help, stick around and enjoy the read. If you want instant gratification and to buy a watch now-now-now, get a cheapo Noobmariner from Trusty or similar.

Click on the picture for instant gratification, but it'll be nowhere near as rewarding as learning what you're buying.

72273-32321.jpg

Yes, this is now one of my stock answers to "who has the best ..." and while it is nowhere near as helpful as Edge's guide for newbies, it's quicker. :D

ps. Read Edge's guides for newbies.

Holy cow. Actually ordered 2 watches from Joshua, one sub for a friend and a sea dweller for me. The sub took 3 days to get to me, the SD will take longer as I had him fully service it for a little extra (after what I'd read here). The sub is unbelieveably good, can't wait till (hopefully) next week when the SD gets here. I'm jealous that my friend has his before I got mine.

Also bought a winding case on ebay, holds up to 4 watches in the winding part, and 4 more inside. Wound friend's Sub in it, works great. Now after my SD I'll have to acquire at least 3 more automatics!

Thanks everyone for the help so far!

Antonio

Holy cow. Actually ordered 2 watches from Joshua, one sub for a friend and a sea dweller for me. The sub took 3 days to get to me, the SD will take longer as I had him fully service it for a little extra (after what I'd read here). The sub is unbelieveably good, can't wait till (hopefully) next week when the SD gets here. I'm jealous that my friend has his before I got mine.

Welcome to the start of the horror. The cravings for a second watch will hit you soon, and then you'll look at them funny square watches with parts of swan in them ... and you'll be glad you saved so much money as you'll need to spend it all on more reps. Muahahahaha.

ps. Good purchase, welcome to the hobby.

The sub is unbelieveably good

Oh, you get a little so give a little. Take photos of the Sub and show it off! :D

Took my first plunge into the world of reps about 6 weeks ago. Bought my SMP from Joshua. Great service and wonderful watch. Been on my wrist ever since, and has been faultless.

I was also gripped by the desire for more..... and bought wifey a Datejust.

It is just as Pugwash says

"The cravings for a second watch will hit you soon"

It can't be resisted....... Muahahahaha Muahahahaha Muahahahaha!!!!!

ps. Good purchase, welcome to the hobby.

Oh, you get a little so give a little. Take photos of the Sub and show it off! :D

Yeah, I'm sure I will get another or two. Do like gens as well, have a few I like, but nothing really expensive. Have a photo of my Seastar 660 in the Photo Gallery.

Will have to have my friend shoot his, he has it already and I dunno if I could wrest it from his wrist long enough to do a picture. Haha. You can expect a shot of my SD up here sometime after I get it. Working on a better rig to hold my watches, really need to start with a good acrylic form.

Learning a lot from you guys and this site. Very fun stuff.

Oh, and BTW, anyone know where I can find a clear acrylic watch stand? Just really want the insert thing that makes a form for the watch to sit on, I can add a bar to clamp to a stand to help me with my project of photographing my watches.