When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

La Vie En Rose

Pugwash

American tastes are usually quite different from this kind of melodramatical movies, as shown in your list, but I never meant it was bad... just different...

Quite so, Luisik. I understand, don't worry.

But your reply seemed like a non sequitur and the followup replies are backwards-logic (reasoning based on subsequent replies). Pugwash was describing this film, how great Marion Cotillard was, without any allusions to tastes or America. Then you replied "too melodramatic for our American fellows tastes"?

This is my guess about your train of thought:

You said that because no one had replied to Pugwash's post until you did. You think this forum is mostly made up of Americans, and therefore it resulted in a lack of interest to his post.

Is this it?

Just wondering.

Foreign films are hard to find in the US outside of major cities. You have to hunt for them in other locations. Thankfully, some appear late at night on satelite.

Saw Jacque Brell is alive and well a few summers ago in Paris and loved it but I actually saw some get up and leave so I guess tastes change over time. Now in the US I love getting his music out.

Usil

Foreign films are hard to find in the US outside of major cities. You have to hunt for them in other locations.

I think that's true of any foreign film in most English-speaking countries. BTW, the American Golden Globes were given out tonight, in a low-key press conference.

Marion Cotillard won for Best Actress. :victory:

Please note, not Best Actress in a foreign film. Just "Best Actress" (in a musical or comedy, of whatever language). Unlike the French C

• 1 month later...

Agree!!!

I didn't see this thread in January- I woulda joined in. This is a truly remarkable film. I was amazed by the use of original recordings, and the raw talent Mme Cotillard brought to the film.

The film sent shivers up my spine- the whole way through. I still have the LP of the Carnegie Hall performance that I bought in 1962.

The best performance of the year!!

Unlike Javier Bardem, she didn't dedicate her win to her country -- France. And she was VERY nervous. But she ended with the most beautiful line of the night:

"This is really a city full of angels"

@Ken: Yes, Ken. She won for Best Actress. It's the only spoiler I'll risk, since in an international forum, some people will have recorded it. :)