When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Major Price Increases

Doninaz

It's been about a year since I was last on the site. I have several replicas that I have previously bought from King and Silix and in general I have been happy with the product and service. But, as I now go on the sites and look, I see that there are major price increases. Even the replicas I bought which are not 14K have gone up significantly. Hence, I will not be ordering. There is an old saying: "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".

There is an old saying: "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".

In the year you were gone, several "ultimate" watches have come out -- the Fiddy, the uPO, and a few IWCs. The pricey ceramics like HBBs even have lite versions which are very good.

But even so, there would be resistance. Dear God.

What IS this problem people have with businessmen making a profit?

In the year you were gone, several "ultimate" watches have come out -- the Fiddy, the uPO, and a few IWCs. The pricey ceramics like HBBs even have lite versions which are very good.

But even so, there would be resistance. Dear God.

I agree Victoria - some people seem to have a problem with other people charging whatever the going rate is for goods. Simple economics dictates the balance of demand vs supply and price sustainability in any given free market. As soon as buyers start drying up at any given price, the price will drop.

If the price is too high for you, please shop elsewhere, don't [censored] about it to me :D

K

These are knock-offs, the low price is their main reason for existing.

Right... but even these 'high' prices are low compared to the gens... and some of these, with a little mod work and a service, are great watches that look and feel darn close to gens... so, still a bargain....

... and, while I don't really believe it, am I the only one who thinks "greed is good!" when I see the price raises chalked up to excessive profiteering? ;)

I don't mind so much if it means higher quality reps or a larger variety of them but on the other hand, I would order a BUNCH more if they were cheaper...

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not :)

Besides, how much mark up do you think there is on a gen for Gods sake. It's like anything, the orginal guy who invented a wristwatch should have been a millionaire, everyone else just took a good idea and improved upon it. Heck, if you gave me a book I couldn't build a simple clock that fit in anything smaller than a closet.

It's like 3 of the 10 highest paid executives in the city I live in all work for the electric company, it's not like they discovered elctricity or anything. They took a successful business that everyone needs and didn't run it into the ground. Wow, so what?

Exit my rant

Eric

Edited by banshee35

Prices will always go up guys...this is simple basic economics. Sure a few years ago, chewing gum may have been less than 50c, now they're almost $1. Prices for everything goes up due to CPI and GDP, its only normal that these "luxury" goods also go up. I think the prices are generally quite acceptable.

Plus people are willing to pay for it. Like one has mentioned already, supply and demand. If we stop buying them, demand drops, therefore prices drop and their supply drops. But I think it'll take a lot more than just us board members to make a change in the market.

This is a hobby I have come to truly enjoy. Do I need so many watches? Of course not! Collecting and tinkering with watches is a source of happiness for me, and if the cost of that happiness is usually 10% or less of the genuine watch, I consider myself lucky! It all boils down to one question... What is your price? Mine tends to vary.... :p

Have the prices gone up lately? YES. Are the prices still reasonable? PROBABLY.

I believe simple economics and supply and demand are the major forces at work here rather than unbridled greed (even so, as a free market American and a businessman I agree with Gordon Gecko that "...greed, for the lack of a better word, is a GOOD thing").

Still, I have been able to shop around and find good (if not better quality) reps at lower prices from reputable dealers other than the Cartel.

HammerTime

Guest carlsbadrolex

I dont have a problem with the prices... They are reasonable in my opinion. I think the quality has improved greatly over the past couple years also. I just wish that customer service and communication were improving at the same rate.

It seems all of the dealers are quick to post new products, quick to comment on their great quality and the fact they done drop ship, quick to answer pre-purchase questions, and once the money is sent... nothing. I have had three watches received DOA, 2 confiscated and another that fell apart after a few weeks on a winder in the last year. Would I pay MORE for these issues to be taken care of? CERTAINLY... Would I appreciate a little better communication and support after the purchase? SURE...

The next time you have the opportunity to have both a replica and GEN of the same model in your hand... look at the quality, look at the fit and finish, and THEN let us know which of the two is more worthy of their price!

It's been about a year since I was last on the site. I have several replicas that I have previously bought from King and Silix and in general I have been happy with the product and service. But, as I now go on the sites and look, I see that there are major price increases. Even the replicas I bought which are not 14K have gone up significantly. Hence, I will not be ordering. There is an old saying: "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".

Depends on where you live. For many EU countries, they are significatly cheaper now even if the USD list price is higher.

I haven't checked the USD development against asian currencies in detail, nor the price increases for reps in %. But the fact is, USD have weakened significantly towards all major currencies, which means that US customers will have to pay equally higher prices for (all) imported goods.

So, take this into account before you shoot the collectors.

I don't have a problem with businessmen making a profit or even asking whatever the market will bear. I have more problem with fellow hobbyists with little or no knowledge tossing their money at dealers no matter what price they ask for.

There are, indeed, instances when paying a higher price is correct. But I think the appeal of some reps is actually increased by virtue of the higher price tag -- Rolexes and Pateks etc. are more desirable in part because teh price of admission to the club is higher. This is a known marketing principle of luxury goods, and it is somewhat ironic that the same principles apply even to reps of those luxury goods.

If the value-oriented rep buyers were to exercise their ability to not pay more than x amount for a rep, and if newbies realized that you don't necessarily get a better or more prestigious rep at $400 or $500 than you do at $250 or $300, then we would all be in a much better position.

A Rep is a replica, not a replacement...nothing truly compares to the craftsmanship of a gen, that is why they demand the high price. I think that we get a lot more than 10% of the genuine article so in my opinion we get a good deal. :lol:

If I had the money, all my watches would end up being genuine ones...alas my profession will never allow for that level of spending! ^_^

That's what this forum is all about! Because of this forum I dodged the bullet of a SWISS AAA REPLICA Panerai and learned everything my search button could uncover about the abilities of various factories, dealers, and modifiers. Once I had the knowledge, I applied my own cost/benefit analysis and came up with my own best bang for the buck watch to buy. I couldn't be happier, and I owe it all to RWG, thanks everyone!!! The more we discuss the quality of each new release, the more we can make an informed decision, on an individual basis, whether the watch in question is worth the price of admission :)

If the value-oriented rep buyers were to exercise their ability to not pay more than x amount for a rep, and if newbies realized that you don't necessarily get a better or more prestigious rep at $400 or $500 than you do at $250 or $300, then we would all be in a much better position.

I don't mind paying couple of hundred dollars for a replica watch that is of good quality but in the past year my 2824 Omega PO with correct markings, AR etc., has broken on me. Cost of the watch $240, price to send/receive to be fixed $60 bucks. It's broken again (Stem and Crown has come completely out) and a new problem has emerged... one of the markers on the dial has come unglued. Now the seller won't even answer my emails. I don't mind paying for the watch but I do mind paying for a watch that's a POS that's not going to go the distance (not even a year).

On the flip side I purchased a BR-03-92 with blue markers for $147 and it works fabulous, I also paid $158 for an IWC FA Jones with Blue markers and it purrs like a kitten. 2 of the best watches I've ever owned. I'll pay for quality but not crap.

OK I agree some watches are quite pricy now - but look at how much work had to be done so we can have them on our wrists.

The HBB is expensive but look what gens sell for and think about what would be the odds of you sporting a gen HBB or any HBB in the case there would be no such rep as we are lucky to have?

I know it is a bit like fooling yourself but right now as I write this I have my nice shiny MBW ROO here on my desk... I look at it and feel great that it's here! It really makes me happy! And that's what counts.

Oh and one more thing... when I bought my first rep after joining RWG back in 2004 - a Swiss PAM 111 with old, incorrect, sticker movement I paid $600. Yes... six hundred DOLLA. And USD was not as cheap as it is now!

Now these watches sell for half of it or even less and they are A LOT! closer to the real deal.

When you think of it all you realise it could be better but after all it is not THAT bad guys!

Cheers!

While the prices have gone up noticeable, good deals still exist. The noob submariners are a really good example of this. Of course, while the HBBs and latest IWCs are going to really make you tremble, many great $98-$118 watches still exist and are often just as fun to wear as the $400+ super duper turbo xtreme versions...

I don't have a problem with businessmen making a profit or even asking whatever the market will bear. I have more problem with fellow hobbyists with little or no knowledge tossing their money at dealers no matter what price they ask for.

Well, that's true enough.

But you can't stop uninformed consumers from buying anything.

Creating barriers for consumers is also not going to happen, nor should it. Not that you were saying otherwise Jack, but it's called a "free" market for a reason: free to make your own choices, good and lousy.

@Jmt: No you aren't the only one! ;)

@Sql_PL & Corgi: "Agree"!!

Since I've been browsing this forum, I have been wondering, "How many of the members here have been to asia and bought watches there?."

With so much purchasing power, one would imagine that the forum commands low prices, but this is not the case. I think the problem is that enthusiasts always overvalue things that are important to them. Last summer I spent about 300 usd in malaysia, and I ended up with a collection that this forum would probably value at $1200-$1500.

If someone wants to spend $120 or $150 on a $30 watch and by doing so avoid hassles and ensure to some degree that the product is QC'd then, by all means, go ahead. What I find astonishing is that many memebers here spend thousands on their respective collections when, with the same money, they could have had a vacation in asia AND come back with the same watches.

WTF!!!?!?!?!

I run a profitable business on a 30-50% margin. The "collectors" that are at the source can sell retail in asia for 30% of what they charge you guys. I have no problem with business, but I'm a fair business man, a 500% margin is a scalping, especially with customers that do so much repeat business.

So, my question is this; Why aren't members banding together to reduce prices?

Since I've been browsing this forum, I have been wondering, "How many of the members here have been to asia and bought watches there?."

With so much purchasing power, one would imagine that the forum commands low prices, but this is not the case. I think the problem is that enthusiasts always overvalue things that are important to them. Last summer I spent about 300 usd in malaysia, and I ended up with a collection that this forum would probably value at $1200-$1500.

If someone wants to spend $120 or $150 on a $30 watch and by doing so avoid hassles and ensure to some degree that the product is QC'd then, by all means, go ahead. What I find astonishing is that many memebers here spend thousands on their respective collections when, with the same money, they could have had a vacation in asia AND come back with the same watches.

WTF!!!?!?!?!

I run a profitable business on a 30-50% margin. The "collectors" that are at the source can sell retail in asia for 30% of what they charge you guys. I have no problem with business, but I'm a fair business man, a 500% margin is a scalping, especially with customers that do so much repeat business.

So, my question is this; Why aren't members banding together to reduce prices?

I dunno....lazy, I guess.