When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

called out with my noob YM :(

arminvanbuuren

anyway if people are mistaken in what i'm asking.. i would like to rephrase my story

i never was or never did try and convince him if my watches are real.. but i myself never hold a yachtmaster.. but from reviews and even after weighting my own reps and compare them to official weight of YM (from a site).. they both shows that weight are very similar.. (136-138 grams)

so my question is not really about whether he is convinced that it is real or not.. but my question is that from what he says.. is it really right? or it's an estimated guess?

despite me like victoria claimed to be a liar or not... or me giving it away to him or not dw about it.. i'll deal with karma later.. but are these infos from him claiming the weight to be too light and cheap a real remark (help me out here. never hold a YM)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear you got outted in front of a good looking girl, that can never be good. However, always bear in mind they are just replica's. I tell anyone that asks that its a rep (if it is) becasuse I never know who Im talig to. They may know what they're talking about, and if they do , and I say its gen, or words to that effect, then thats wouldn't give a very good impression of myself.

It's always better (I feel) to admit it's a rep, and state how much of a saving you did make. That gets more people interested than telling people its gen (or not admitting it to be a rep) in my experience.

And on the point of the weight, and feel, I would say it is wrong, and he simply went on your reaction. I haven't ever held a gen/rep rolex. However, from what I have read, there is little difference between the two, and you would need both in your hands to be able to make such a bold statement. He was just lucky with his guess!

Sure. It was when you said you didn't know if it was an original or not.

omg not you too!?

but yeah next time like i said i should just tell the whole world about our repworld... which will kind of defeats the purpose of having reps, and modding watches and reviewing flaws.

at the end of the day if i told him straight away MAN OMG ITS A REP BRUZZZZZZZ.. CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE THE DIFF IS?

and his response would be the same.. its dodgy, cheap and filmsy.. i'll buy it off u for 50 bux just because we're friends.. personally i think it's worth $2

and would this thread change? NO well maybe it does.. difference would be victoria not flaming me.. which is something that i don't care about!

I think if you had gone down that road, and admitted that it is a rep, then the ball would be in your court. You could turn around and tell him that the rep is actually very close to the gen and he has no idea what he is talking about. 'Does he have the gen?' 'No, so why comment on it' :)

omg not you too!?

and would this thread change? NO well maybe it does.. difference would be victoria not flaming me.. which is something that i don't care about!

Armin, we are ALL in your position. How can you think someone is truly flaming you? Come on, lad!

In fact, you replied "omg not you too?!" to Pugwash. That's the guy who tells his co-workers he owns rep watches. So does FxrAndy, if memory serves.

If he can't, why can't you? Or me?

Because it takes a special kind of person to do that. Someone who doesn't care about what the rest of the world thinks about their rep watches. Not everyone is like that. I fear I am not, at least.

I think if you had gone down that road, and admitted that it is a rep, then the ball would be in your court. You could turn around and tell him that the rep is actually very close to the gen and he has no idea what he is talking about. 'Does he have the gen?' 'No, so why comment on it' :)

well i said along the lines of i don't really know.. but even if it is a copy, i think even the weight is similar.. that's how rolex bracelets are meant to be.. they're made to be light unlike omegas or breitlings..

then he said nahhh man this is worth like $20.. you can tell straight away..

so i just told him okay then i guess it is a rep.. i'll tell my dad that you said that.. and enjoy the watch.. that's it really!

Armin, we are ALL in your position. How can you think someone is truly flaming you? Come on, lad!

In fact, you replied "omg not you too?!" to Pugwash. That's the guy who tells his co-workers he owns rep watches. So does FxrAndy, if memory serves.

If he can't, why can't you? Or me?

Because it takes a special kind of person to do that. Someone who doesn't care about what the rest of the world thinks about their rep watches. Not everyone is like that. I fear I am not, at least.

yeah? i have told alot of people that it's fake.. in fact i told the bday girl.. because she came up to me afterward and asked.. and i told her the whole thing and she even asked me if i could get her 1..

the not you too isn't about him not going out of his way to not tell his co-worker.. my "not you too" means that not him too attacking me because i didn't tell this guy that i was wearing a rep.. which never was the discussion in this thread until you brought it up..

it was never in my question anyway.. i don't think i ever asked about this!

if you just want to keep going just for the sake of arguing.. OK I LIED? HAPPY? now what? [censored] happens.. so unless you can turn back time so that i could tell everyone at that party that i should not "lie" because victoria told me not to.. don't bother posting about you being miss integrity coz it doesn't change the fact of what happened.. now this is where i stopped arguing about this crap.. thanks

back to my topic now

I guess the question is, are you happy with the rep? If so no worries. I never try to pass off my reps as gen. In fact I find that most people are amazed that people make reps that are this accurate. Anyone can buy junk on Canal St. in New York, but what we do with our reps and the mods is pretty interesting, even to people that own gens. Usually at the end of my conversations, I'm almost always asked how or where to get one.

I guess the question is, are you happy with the rep? If so no worries. I never try to pass off my reps as gen. In fact I find that most people are amazed that people make reps that are this accurate. Anyone can buy junk on Canal St. in New York, but what we do with our reps and the mods is pretty interesting, even to people that own gens. Usually at the end of my conversations, I'm almost always asked how or where to get one.

yes i'm happy with it.. but this guys is saying that it's practically so damn different that it's not funny that i should only pay "$20" for it.. which is why i started this thread at the start anyway.. i wanted a rep that is accurate, hence why i paid more instead of getting it from canal st.. because if what he's saying is true i'd be better off getting it from canal st correct?

if you just want to keep going just for the sake of arguing.. OK I LIED? HAPPY? now what? [censored] happens.. so unless you can turn back time so that i could tell everyone at that party that i should not "lie" because victoria told me not to.. don't bother posting about you being miss integrity coz it doesn't change the fact of what happened.. now this is where i stopped arguing about this crap.. thanks

Wait, there is a miscommunication happening here, Armin. First, I apologise again for my tone. Sincerely.

Second, what bothers you then, if you go around saying it's a rep?

Certainly it's not the fact that you wear reps, or that if you tell people you do then the whole world will know about this forum. Clearly, you wouldn't care if people knew about RWG, right?

Also, I'm not entirely sure you do care your buddy caught you in a lie. That's secondary, IMO. You're probably used to his yanking your chain, by now.

You just want to know how much of a difference there is between a Noob YM and a cheapo $50 version. Right?

"because if what he's saying is true i'd be better off getting it from canal st correct?"

Hmm, don't pay attention to him. If it were By-Tor calling you out (:lol:) that's one thing. But he's no expert. He is simply making you feel bad by saying it's worth $50, then $20. Why can't you see he's messing with your head?

You have been on this website for almost a year now. You know your watch isn't Canal St. junk! The guy was just an a-hole who took a guess that your watch was a fake. I would honestly say that most Rolexes I see out now, my first thought is "is that real"? Probably just a knee jerk reaction since Rolex has been faked since before I was born.

hey pugster.. if it was something i said that gave it away.. i don't really mind that.. means something else to me.. it means that i have a good rep.. but he blatantly told me that it's worth "$50" and it's dodgy.. that's what upsets me..

i hope you're right tho.. it's me that gave it away not the watch.

What makes you believe he knows what he is talking about? He said it was fake and you agreed with him. You could have said he was full of it and he would never have known it was not gen. He likely pulled the $50 figure out of thin air. This guy is a dodgy friend. What is he going to try next?

Wait, there is a miscommunication happening here, Armin. First, I apologise again for my tone. Sincerely.

Second, what bothers you then, if you go around saying it's a rep?

Certainly it's not the fact that you wear reps, or that if you tell people you do then the whole world will know about this forum. Clearly, you wouldn't care if people knew about RWG, right?

Also, I'm not entirely sure you do care your buddy caught you in a lie. That's secondary, IMO. You're probably used to his yanking your chain, by now.

You just want to know how much of a difference there is between a Noob YM and a cheapo $50 version. Right?

"because if what he's saying is true i'd be better off getting it from canal st correct?"

Hmm, don't pay attention to him. If it were By-Tor calling you out (:lol:) that's one thing. But he's no expert. He is simply making you feel bad by saying it's worth $50, then $20. Why can't you see he's messing with your head?

yes that's my point exactly.. to be honest i don't mind people knowing that i wear reps.. but just like you said.. this guy claims that my reps were of a canal st quality and it's so tellable.. and from reviews i take it as that i bought it for the price because well it's not perfect but it's close to the gen.. hence why i made this forum.. is it really that crappy the noob YM, that someone who's held rolex for once actually can tell? that's all.. it's got nothing to do with him catching me or i'm trying to tell him its gen.. just the fact that his words annoys me about our reps..

but yeah i think you're starting to get my point now!

What Sweatdogg and Raijor said!!

BTW, I was GOING to write, what else is he going to try next -- but I didn't. I feared since the conversation was going South, that you might think I was trying to make you feel bad, or make you over-suspicious about your friend.

But seriously, this is the kind of guy who steals girlfriends. Be careful, okay?

Once you have cooled down, and your pride is less affected, you will see this forum cares about you. Not your friend, that's for sure. Fancy showing up a mate in front of others. <_<

@Armin followup: I think your Noob YM must be awesome, if other Noob YMs I've seen are anything to go on. As Sweatdogg says, you've been on the forum for a year -- you know the quality of your Noob IS NOT Canal St. So look your buddy in the eye next time, and say, "Oh yeah? You don't know a real Rolex from a vagina".

Only I wouldn't say vagina.

Good luck, Armin! :victory:

He was fulll of @#$%^& and crap, too!!! I think he played you for a fool and want your watch for cheap koz he actually liked it! Sh????, I have a SUB TT GEN and a TT GMT Master GEN and I can't even tell the difference most of the time! Even if he owns a Gen and he does not hold and compare them side by side, he can't tell a thing......I think its how you re-acted when he called you!!!

Sorry man! Those type of "know it all guys" just pisssess me off!

Let me add a little bit more, because I believe all of us who are into reps are in for one reason or another.....some of us are honest and tell it as it is. Some of us would pass it as GEN (we lie) because we could. Some of us are into it as a hobby or as a collector.......and maybe more, who knows????

For those who pass it as a GEN.....you could....all depends on your standing in your social structure:

Let me give a scenario:

Three person works in the same office;

Person #1: is a manager of a big department and makes 6 figures (110,000-250,000)

Person #2: is a manager of a smaller department and makes from 90,000-100,000 and is known to play the stock market

Person #3: works for Person #1 and makes 40,000-60,000

All of them wears REPS!!! Who do you think will get called during their company X-mas party???

If you make 40 to 50K and wears a REP that's valued at 7,500 and up as a GEN, what do you think will your friends/co-workers think???

C'mon people...reality check!!! It's all about your age, how much you make and how rich you are or your family!!! Some people can wear a fake Lacoste shirt and nobody will

call it because he's got it!

and I don't mean to insult anyone......but???????? It's just the way it is!

A couple of mathematical odds to consider here....bit like gambling odds:

If every time you see a Rolex, you shout fake...the odds are probably something like 1000:1 in favour of you being right (just on numbers produced fake:gen)

Then proceed with the security of compounding the odds in your favour, and screaming fake all the louder if when asked where did you get it, the reply is anything other than an immediate and unreserved 'Oh from XYZ Authorized Dealership...cost me $xxxxxx'

A few more 'odds' for you...what percentage of the planet's populace have never held, never mind owned a wristwatch of any description?...of the balance, what percentage see a watch as anything other than a dis-interesting device to read the time off...now speculate of this diminishing number how many actually give a rat's ass about watches.... now out with the magnifying glass to see the number of people who are interested in watches........now the microscope for the ones who actually know a little of what they speak.........now the electron microscope to see the number of WIS who could speak with authority about your Yachty.

So after this rambling what have we learned? That if you want to play the odds....it was a safe bet for this nugget to call fake

and an infinitely safer bet for you to call 'loudmouthed idiot'.

Incidentally I always derive much amusement watching half witted tourists in the Far East when offered 'A numba won Lolek' by street hawkers proceed to evaluate it by mock weighing the POS in their hand (with that 'I know what I'm doing' look on their face!!!).

Like alot of us here, I have owned many gen watches (4 Rolex's at one point, now I only have 1) and as far as I am concerned, the differences one would feel between rep and gen could only be determined if BOTH the gen and rep were held side by side. A while back, I held my $118 Sub LV next to a freinds genuine black Sub. Overlooking the obvious difference in the bezel color, and maxi dial of my LV rep and his regular black Sub, the differences in weight, fit and finish, bracelet and dial print were almost non-existant and this is with the LV rep in my left hand and his gen in my right. I handed both of them back to him and he commented that any differences were not so serious and in fact, if he did not know mine was a rep, he would have not guessed it. Based on this, your freind was guessing and it was more your reaction that confirmed his suspicion. Either way, what he said to you was un called for, but since I do not know you or your friend personally, I will withhold any further comment on that part of the conversation. Bottom line, if you enjoy the watch (and hopefully your freind did not sour your opinion on the watch) that is really all that matters. Yacht Master is a tough one though, there is yet a version of this one that really pleases me as far as its closeness to the gen IMO. But, the quality of the watches we get through dealers here greatly surpasses any china town or flea market find.

Thats the problem with owning a watch that says Rolex on the dial whether gen or rep, most folks will ask "is it real" and still more will consider it a fake no matter what you say. In fact, the only folks who really appreciate Rolex and thier history are watch fanatics, and alot of those folks are here. You really have to like the design and look of thier brand to appreciate it, and I beleive you do, otherwise you would not be here. Don't worry about your YM Armin, its fine, enjoy it in good health. By the way, what was your freind wearing for a watch?

Peace out.