When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

called out with my noob YM :(

arminvanbuuren

Bottom line is armin, if you don't want to get called out, whether or not by a so called "expert", then stop wearing Rolex. wear rolex if you think you can pull it off, or it's just a bad idea. this "friend" of yours just wanted to be a big shot and wanted to call you out and make him look like the man. like many other posters said, this guy does not know a real rolex from a fake, much like you can tell a fake Birkin from a real one. don't sweat it, they are just reps, and I'd be careful to hang out with this guy, does not sound much of a friend, more of a companion, at best.

enjoy your watch, ultimately it is up to you, as long as you like it, forget what others said, unless it bothers you that much.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is how you handle jerks and a$$holes like the one you ran into. This works every time. Feel free to use it in public situations (such as when females are present).

"Well, it was a gift so here's what we'll do about your offer, which I accept. I'll meet you on Tuesday (or whenever) at the local Rolex AD and we'll get the watch appraised. If they say it's a fake, it's yours for $50. If they say it's gen you will be buying it from me on the spot for their appraisal, and you will be paying me in cash. Bring enough cash."

Don't bother to respond asking me what to do if he accepts. It won't happen. If you wear a good rep, you should always be prepared to play poker. Now you know the odds.

Carl

Bottom line is armin, if you don't want to get called out, whether or not by a so called "expert", then stop wearing Rolex. wear rolex if you think you can pull it off, or it's just a bad idea. this "friend" of yours just wanted to be a big shot and wanted to call you out and make him look like the man. like many other posters said, this guy does not know a real rolex from a fake, much like you can tell a fake Birkin from a real one. don't sweat it, they are just reps, and I'd be careful to hang out with this guy, does not sound much of a friend, more of a companion, at best.

enjoy your watch, ultimately it is up to you, as long as you like it, forget what others said, unless it bothers you that much.

first time ever ive ever been questioned by anyone.. but yeah i guess you're right i don't really care about what he thinks whether it's a fake or being called out.. in fact i'm still wearing my YM.. really what i'm trying to ask is that whether what he says is right or not about the bracelet.. obviously he's just playing guessing games..

@vic.. yeah i'm more calmed down now :).. nah i know the forum is trying to back me up.. and i thank you guys for it.. just felt that with your first posts, it's like you're trying to say to me that i'm strutting my rolexes around and tell him that it's real and he called me out on it and i got embarassed.. which isn't the case and i think you know now :)

just wanted to confirm whether he actually KNOWS for sure (from the bracelet claims) or he's guessing.. since i haven't really hold a YM before.. like i said the only gen rolex i've held is my gen daydate.. and one ss datejust (which is very light also) thanks anyway guys

Yes.... he just made a wild guess and it definately did help that you started to tell the story how you didn't know it was a rep, a gift, whatever.

Reps like YM, Subs etc that we are able to get now are so close that like other people already said it is NOT possible to distinguish them without extensive knowledge or holding them side by side.

The thing is - Rolex just screams FAKE no matter how gen it is. It is just a matter of staying cool in such situations.

My close friend over here has a gen 16520 Daytona (I have already posted some pics of it in Rolex section). Just as it always is with Rolex he is constantly being asked the main Rolex question "Is it real?". You know what he does? He stays cool and just says it is a cheap piece of [censored] and bangs it on the table or whatever is close. Yes, sometimes it hurts to see such situation for me but it is also amusing how people suddenly feel more comfortable convincing themselves that it is just a fake... when in fact it is not :)

On a side note.... your story with a birthday party, a stunning birthday girl that you;d like to impress.... ehh it did bring some memories..... haha. Good old times.

Cheers!

@vic.. yeah i'm more calmed down now :).. nah i know the forum is trying to back me up.. and i thank you guys for it.. just felt that with your first posts, it's like you're trying to say to me that i'm strutting my rolexes around and tell him that it's real and he called me out on it and i got embarassed.. which isn't the case and i think you know now :)

:tu:

BTW, the reply by Narikaa was an RWG Classic.

Now what we need is a cunning plan on how to get back at your chum. A cousin of mine once got back at his friend by setting him up with a tranny for a date. :lol:

Armin,

Your friend sounds like a total asshat....If he did ever hold a genuine YM or Sub he would realize that the band does feels light and flimsy (just like our reps)... It's one of the things that a lot of people who buy gen Rolexes complain about...Most people equate weight with genuine quality. Maybe in that fact our reps are too well made.

Yes.... he just made a wild guess and it definately did help that you started to tell the story how you didn't know it was a rep, a gift, whatever.

Reps like YM, Subs etc that we are able to get now are so close that like other people already said it is NOT possible to distinguish them without extensive knowledge or holding them side by side.

The thing is - Rolex just screams FAKE no matter how gen it is. It is just a matter of staying cool in such situations.

My close friend over here has a gen 16520 Daytona (I have already posted some pics of it in Rolex section). Just as it always is with Rolex he is constantly being asked the main Rolex question "Is it real?". You know what he does? He stays cool and just says it is a cheap piece of [censored] and bangs it on the table or whatever is close. Yes, sometimes it hurts to see such situation for me but it is also amusing how people suddenly feel more comfortable convincing themselves that it is just a fake... when in fact it is not :)

On a side note.... your story with a birthday party, a stunning birthday girl that you;d like to impress.... ehh it did bring some memories..... haha. Good old times.

Cheers!

haha maciek.. at least you have ola now :p.. no need to worry anymore... :p

but yeah nothing happened last night but there is some good memory.. because afterward we talked about watches for a long time haha which is as good as you know.. ;).. for a girl who never owned a watch.. she seems to know alot about brands and types of watches.. but she claims that it was the first time that she's ever owned a watch :p which is a good thing.. maybe one day i should get her into this addiction too eh?

well i said along the lines of i don't really know.. but even if it is a copy, i think even the weight is similar.. that's how rolex bracelets are meant to be.. they're made to be light unlike omegas or breitlings..

then he said nahhh man this is worth like $20.. you can tell straight away..

so i just told him okay then i guess it is a rep.. i'll tell my dad that you said that.. and enjoy the watch.. that's it really!

Well. Which is more stupid. Spending $6,500 to $7,800 for a 16613

or buying the rep for $288.

I have nothing to be embarrassed about. Rolex with their history of plastic crystals should be embarrassed.

Armin,

Your friend sounds like a total asshat....If he did ever hold a genuine YM or Sub he would realize that the band does feels light and flimsy (just like our reps)... It's one of the things that a lot of people who buy gen Rolexes complain about...Most people equate weight with genuine quality. Maybe in that fact our reps are too well made.

Agreed. Armin people will always try to make themselves feel better. I have an e55 amg and people ask me all the time whether its fake or not. Plainly they can look at the rims and see the amg callipers and rotors but instead they try to make themselves feel better about what they have/ dont have by ripping into you.

Next time look at him and go [censored] off idiot its real what would you know.

I run into this a LOT with my car (Porsche Speedster replica). Now, if someone asks what year it is, I say "it's a '58" which is a crock, but they don't care. If they have to ask then they don't know much about old Porsches anyway, they are just being nice and like the car. The other kind of person asks "Is that a kit?" and of course I say yes and then we chat about replicas.

The OTHER kind of person is one you can tell straight away has some kind of problem with the fact that your car looks nice, most of the time their girl said "ooh, pretty car!" and they feel slighted somehow, it's best to just brush them off and not play 20 questions with this guy (ALWAYS a guy) because it's a waste of time.

He was looking for a 'tell'......you gave him the 'tell' when you said 'I don't know".......and that it was your Dad's......EVERY Rolex....GEN or COPY....will AUTOMATICALLY be assumed as a copy until proven otherwise.......the onus is on YOU to convince......YOU have the tools to do that......YOU ...as a member here.....and having bought the watch you did....should KNOW it's faults.....but you should also know it's merits......I'm 110% certain your buffoon buddy doesn't...he was just chancing his arm in the hope that he would make YOU look cheap or foolish...and make himself look 'authoratitive'....... if you had said straight off the bat that it WAS genuine.....and let him claim otherwise and then PROVEN to him and any others that it WAS genuine by A)....showing him the laser etched crown.....EVEN just saying it's there....is often enough......B)....making sure the crown was screwed up.....and dropping it in a bucket of water...at the same time exclaiming....if it were FAKE....you couldn't do this with it.....C)....telling him what you KNOW about Genuine Rolexes....about how the bracelet is shitty and lightweight with hollowlinks.....and is the one area where Rolex are criticised most frequently.....instead of LETTING hm pontificate to the point where you LOST credibility.....you let him control the situation and you lost credibility......don't let it happen again.....or no SOUP for you.....:lol:

As far as the girl is concerned......you should have leant over and quietly whispered in her ear...."it's genuine....but it gives him a sense of satisfaction to feel superior by demeaning others....and I'm not selfish enough to pisss in his Corn Flakes.......can I get you adrink....?..."

Edited by TTK

As far as the girl is concerned......you should have leant over and quietly whispered in her ear...."it's genuine....but it gives him a sense of satisfaction to feel superior by demeaning others....and I'm not selfish enough to pisss in his Corn Flakes.......can I get you adrink....?..."

Thats the way to do it :D :D :D :D

but as you said. every rolex is assumed a copy. The brand has really lost a lot of credibility.

neill you're smart.. i guess if i tried saying what you said i would've convinced him that it was real.. but eh at the time i was halfway of wanting to tell him it's a rep.. but after his remarks i felt like i shouldn't tell him because obviously if i told him he would literally make fun of me infront of the whole party saying "HAHAHA THIS GUY WEARS A FAKE ROLEX BUT HE DRIVES A MERC!" along the lines of that..

A good number of years ago I had a guy call me out on a watch I was wearing...a Seamaster GMT......he held the glass to his forehead.....and said 'this is a fake....the genuine has a sapphire glass which is 'cool' to the touch'.....he didn't spot the innacurate bezel markings tho'.......so, I shot him down in flames.....exclaimimg....'no...it's genuine...I dropped it and the sapphire glass shattered...so I had the glass replaced....but......I'm on welfare....do you KNOW how much Omega want for a replacement sapphire.....I can see the time just as easily thru' this glass as I can sapphire.....and I never hold it to my forehead.....but that's a neat trick.....I need to remember that.....he went away happy that he had taught me a trick.....but also convinced that my GMT was gen......:lol:

It's about thinking on your feet....!

Edited by TTK

He was looking for a 'tell'......you gave him the 'tell' when you said 'I don't know".......and that it was your Dad's......EVERY Rolex....GEN or COPY....will AUTOMATICALLY be assumed as a copy until proven otherwise.......the onus is on YOU to convince......YOU have the tools to do that......YOU ...as a member here.....and having bought the watch you did....should KNOW it's faults.....but you should also know it's merits......I'm 110% certain your buffoon buddy doesn't...he was just chancing his arm in the hope that he would make YOU look cheap or foolish...and make himself look 'authoratitive'....... if you had said straight off the bat that it WAS genuine.....and let him claim otherwise and then PROVEN to him and any others that it WAS genuine by A)....showing him the laser etched crown.....EVEN just saying it's there....is often enough...... B) ....making sure the crown was screwed up.....and dropping it in a bucket of water...at the same time exclaiming....if it were FAKE....you couldn't do this with it.....C)....telling him what you KNOW about Genuine Rolexes....about how the bracelet is shitty and lightweight with hollowlinks.....and is the one area where Rolex are criticised most frequently.....instead of LETTING hm pontificate to the point where you LOST credibility.....you let him control the situation and you lost credibility......don't let it happen again.....or no SOUP for you..... :lol:

I think this is pretty much the perfect answer right here. Agree 100%. The downfall was DEFINATLY in your lack of confidence.

dizz

Here is how you handle jerks and a$$holes like the one you ran into. This works every time. Feel free to use it in public situations (such as when females are present).

"Well, it was a gift so here's what we'll do about your offer, which I accept. I'll meet you on Tuesday (or whenever) at the local Rolex AD and we'll get the watch appraised. If they say it's a fake, it's yours for $50. If they say it's gen you will be buying it from me on the spot for their appraisal, and you will be paying me in cash. Bring enough cash."

Don't bother to respond asking me what to do if he accepts. It won't happen. If you wear a good rep, you should always be prepared to play poker. Now you know the odds.

Carl

That takes cojones... I like that idea. Living dangerously :lol:

A cousin of mine once got back at his friend by setting him up with a tranny for a date. :lol:

And they're now a happy couple, I bet ;)

Armin, sorry to hear you got called out, but, as people said here, and myself and others have said many many times, in countless discussions, "Is it a fake?" is the automatic reaction to the name Rolex. As far as the average schmoe is concerned, Rolex = Fake.

I bet if you'd've been wearing a Panerai, while you might not've been asked if it was real, he likely would've made some other ass-hat cheap shot to try and put you down in front of the birthday girl. As Victoria said, this is the kind of 'friend' who steals girlfriends: a bad one.

Hey! You got more replies at repgeek than here!!!! http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=11...p;highlight=ttk

7 versus 4!!!!! That's 11 pages of peoples thoughts that you have to analyze and learn from.....my head is spinning with all

this stufff....already!!!! Goodluck!

BTW: How's your freind?

......you should have leant over and quietly whispered in her ear...."it's genuine....but it gives him a sense of satisfaction to feel superior by demeaning others....and I'm not selfish enough to pisss in his Corn Flakes.......can I get you adrink....?..."

Exactly :lol:

I will always remember a phrase that a member posted here (can't remember his nickname and too lazy to find the post) :

We was wearing his genuine vintage GMT (the one with the tiny triangle GMT hand). A lady called his watch a fake...

He responded by pointing out her boobs (sorry if the word "boobs" is bad, English is not my native language...) :

"No, not my watch. Those are fake!"

Best response ever!!!!!!! I will remember that for the rest of my life and laugh every time i recall it...Gonna use this answer too for smartasses like 'em.

Armin, your friend knew nothing. If you had handed him a gen yachty, he would have said the same thing if you had acted the same way. The fact is most people think that rolex is the pinnacle of the watchmakers art and have never held a gen. The first time you hold a gen it is shocking just how cheap the oyster bracelet feels. The dollar figure he gave you is probably because he is aware of the prices on canal st. By the way, I know a pawn shop dealer that uses the bracelet to tell the difference between gen and rep. He is very good, but what he is looking for is sharp edges that don't exist on the gen. It is not the weight or feel, but even he can be fooled if the bracelet is worked enough. Enjoy your yachty and forget about this experience, but learn from it.

There is only one way to handle the "is it real" question, which is the turn-around: "What do you think?" If they say, "real" you say, "good answer" or something else non-committal and walk away. If they say fake, you say "why?" If they reply, "well, the date font is wrong, the crossbars on the A's are too low, and the cannon pin in not flush" you've been busted by a rep collector and/or WIS and you can feel free to start talking about watches, why you buy reps, etc. If they say something idiotic like "the bracelet is too light" or "it's ticking" you chuckle condescendingly and say, "real or fake wouldn't matter a bit to you because you wouldn't know a real one from a $20 fake" and walk away.

But I think your situation illustrates rule #1a or rep wearing--onlt wear reps of gens at least a small percentage of your friends would believe you own. Our friendshas a pretty good idea of our spending habits by what car we drive wear we live, our clothes, etc as well as a rough idea of our income based on what we do for a living, etc. That fact of life combined with the chickiepoo's proximity and your answer to his question made it a no lose situation for him to bust your balls. Live and learn: I suspect because you said that your dad gave the yachtie to you that you're a fairly young guy, maybe just starting out in your career. If I'm right, and you were wearing a Carrera or a Speedy date instead of an 8k platiunum and steel Rolex this never would have been an issue.

Its times like this where you start throwing the BS back. Sure, its a rep, but if someone really has no clue and is being a smart a$$ about it, I'll turn the tables. Something like this

Him- "Nice Breitling, is it real?"

Me- hand it over and say "You tell me"

Him- "Its fake, the second hand is jittery, real Breits are smooth"

Me- Taking the watch back and chuckling out loud "you my friend obviously know nothing about the valjoux 7750, and couldn't tell a 28k BPH from a quartz movement"

This will always work! If the guy has made a judgement on your watch by using terms like "flimsy", then he is obviously not a watch expert, and can easily be put in his place with a little bit of technical jargon. Having said that, I am fairly open about my wearing of reps, I save this kind of treatment for the guys that are just trying to embarrass me.

BTW, in your story the biggest giveaway was when you said it you didn't know if it was a gen. Rep or Gen, I am sure there isn't a person on the planet that doesn't know what he's got.