When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Photo comparison of "1978" Rolex white 1680 Rep vs. Gen

mezzanine

Saw a picture of a '78 white 1680 that I thought could be used as a visual reference for comparison with a rep that has been modded to try to emulate this specific Rolex watch.

Here's the gen:

standard.jpg

Here's the rep:

DSC00834.jpg

Unfortunately my photographic ability is sadly lacking, but it can give a feel for some of the differences and similarities.

I feel that the insert, the crystal and dial are the key pieces in making the rep appear more like the genuine.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I found this site awhile ago... not sure if it has previously been shared here. It is the best reference I have found for vintage Rolex pics and information. Almost every variation of dial is shown.

hxxp://doubleredseadweller.xxx/

Hi there ...

i think we have the same bezel insert :) check the comparison shoot of the 1680 with the bezel in question and the unmoded mbw 1665 ... the bezel that is not instaled is the one that was removed clearly the same one as on not modded 1665 ...

clearly seen that the numbers are more then half slimmer on the 1680 maybe picture before did not show this enough ... im pretty sure urse is same as mine :)

In my eyes same as urse ... maybe someone else see the difference ?

DSC01532.jpg

regards Laz

Hi there ...

i think we have the same bezel insert :) check the comparison shoot of the 1680 with the bezel in question and the unmoded mbw 1665 ... the bezel that is not instaled is the one that was removed clearly the same one as on not modded 1665 ...

clearly seen that the numbers are more then half slimmer on the 1680 maybe picture before did not show this enough ... im pretty sure urse is same as mine :)

In my eyes same as urse ... maybe someone else see the difference ?

DSC01532.jpg

regards Laz

Ooooooh!!! My mistake!! I thought i was answering to mezzanine,and not to lazarini....sorry again!Yes its obvius that your bezel insert is a gen!!!

Sorry!!...im starting to loose my mind with all these MBW..... :mellow:

When I look at 1680 MBW reps, there are a few things which catch my eye- usually the crown guards are too thick- Pug shaved his on the outside as well as the inside to get closer to gen. Also, the lugs on a gen are thinner and longer than on an MBW. Crown also sits off the case slightly on the gens which still have the 24-702-0 crown assembly- ones w/ the 24-703-0 crown are a little tighter to the case.

The serifs on the date font on Mezz's watch are wrong. But alot of gens still have the grey datewheel but it shows up as white in pics.

Great that there's been some discussion out of this- laz, your watch was a big part of my inspiration, so it seems fitting that they're similar in this type of comparison.

In terms of the issue of the fonts on rolex inserts- I'd been under the same belief that Elprimerozen was, that the thicker font inserts look less authentic, given how popular they are. So when I got the watch, I asked whether it was gen, and got a response that it's identical to one member's gen '78...

When I re-visited the sales listing for the 1680 I bought, the creator indicated that he'd been able to get a hold of some vintage parts. So the insert, as well as the crown are supposed to be actual era-appropriate vintage parts.

I think I like the thinner fonts better on the sub. That being said, the real trick to figuring out if the inserts are gen is to put them under a light source. What I've noticed is that the gen inserts will reflect the light as a charcoal type of matted reflection as opposed to the flat black that you see with the aftermarkets.

I also think that the gens are 'painted', in the sense that there is some dimensionality to the inserts colour that isn't there on reps.

Another thing I've noticed about the dial I've got in my 1680, is if you look along the very outside where the dial meets the case, you'll see some rust creeping up and staining some of white index markers along the perimeter. I'm guessing this might be a result of having the dial shaved down...? It's funny how you don't notice certain things except through pictures, and this is one of those things for me. I'd noticed some rust below the 6 o'clock marker, but no where else. After seeing some macro type pics, I saw that the line of rust runs longer than I'd noticed initially.

I actually liked the 'character' it added to the dial when I thought it was more minor, but now I'm slightly worried about it.

• 4 months later...