When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1570 Carrying Case

freddy333

Look what the Fedex transplant team just delivered for my DRSD

1601mystery30071.jpg

1601mystery30041.jpg

And it came packaged in a very nice carrying case (note the flat-top '3')

1601mystery0041.jpg

It would be a shame to disassemble this beauty into my parts box, so I am going to replace its movement with the 2846 from the DRSD during the transplant. It should make a nice counterpoint to my 16014

Wristshots0181.jpg

I have a question about the 1570 -- When winding the 1570, should the clockwise (winding) turn make a clicking sound or a swishing sound like an ETA?

p.s. I see the Admin's have had a change of heart & returned the long-lost ratings icons. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 1570 makes a clicking sound. I just happen to be wearing my 1680 today. I sure hope that's the right answer! Today when I put it on, I adjusted the time a couple of minutes- it's been on the winder for 2-3 weeks- and I screwed the crown down so tightly the movement stopped. So now I'm not screwing it down so tight- no swimming w/ this watch.

My 1570 makes a clicking sound. I just happen to be wearing my 1680 today. I sure hope that's the right answer!

That is the answer I was expecting, but not the one I was hoping for. The reason I asked is because I am hearing mostly swish when I should be hearing clicks.

The first thing I do when I receive a new watch or movement is wind it. And with the very 1st twist of the crown on this watch, my heart stopped. It gave out that unmistakable ETA 'swish' that we are all intimately familiar with. So I quickly opened up the case, emotionally preparing myself to find a nice, gold ETA 2846 instead of the 1570 that the (well known) seller advertised. So you can imagine my astonishment & surprise as I lifted off the caseback to reveal this beautiful Rolex signed 1570. But the damn thing clearly swishes when its wound, a sound I have never heard coming from a Rolex movement. And we are not talking about a sound that could be mis-interpreted as a swish. No, this thing sounds EXACTLY like the 2846 that we are all very familiar with.

So what gives here?

Are the Chinese now making 1570 copies that contain ETA auto-winding gears?

Any ideas? I am totally stumped here........... :g:

Afraid I can't help you on the swishing sound. I have a gen from 1952 so the movement is not the same. For what it's worth it clicks, not a swish to be heard.

Anyway I hope it all works out well. I think it is fantastic that you found a movement with a flat top 3 to put in your 1665. I can't wait to see the results. It is something I plan to do one day. I wish you well with this and your other projects.

Marvellous stuff :D

You mean 1575 carrying case...

Is this a hacking or non-hacking movement? Or is it an early hack that has been reverted to non-hack?

Weird, but it looks brand spanking new and "rough" but should look used and old, but "smooth." Yaknowwuddimean?

Another thing is freddy, you might consider servicing of the movement. My 1680 is 30 years old and my 1500 Date is over 40 years old- I've had them both serviced- the sub twice- I wasn't happy with the first guy who serviced my sub, so a year and a half later I had my new watchmaker service it. They're good movements, but they've been around for over 45 years- the original design that is.

Anytime I buy a used Rolex, I always figure on having it serviced- it just makes good sense.

Freddy,

this dial is really a beauty! :o

Thank you.

And here is the story of how the watch came to be...............

One day, the Flytimer

Flytimer-wristshotfirstday.jpg

& the 16014

Wristshots0181.jpg

went on a date to see 'Titanic' together.

xinsrc_0820105281604234134783.jpg

But they ended up missing most of the movie because they got freaky in the back of the theater

amorous-pigs.jpg

Then, some time later, whichever one is the female (who can tell these days) gave birth to this

1601mystery0041.jpg

And they all lived happily ever after..............

Is this a hacking or non-hacking movement? Or is it an early hack that has been reverted to non-hack?

Weird, but it looks brand spanking new and "rough" but should look used and old, but "smooth." Yaknowwuddimean?

Hacking, but not quick-set. And I thought it looked a bit too pristine myself, which is why I mused it might be some type of new Asian-made Rolex movement? I have not heard anything about anything like this (yet), but if they can copy a 7750, why not a 1570/5? And if they did, aside from the 'swishing' sound & nearly pristine appearance of a 30-40 year old movement, it could have fooled me.

It does look very new though... was it a watchbox-queen?

I bought it from a reliable reseller & he did not have any history on the watch. But I am still waiting to hear back from him about the 'swishing'. Judging from the fact that the hands & dial contain yellow gold & it resides in a steel case with a steel crown, the movement was obviously re-cased at some point. And if it was re-cased recently & the movement was serviced at that time, that could explain its near pristine condition. But I would just consider its pristine condition to be a bonus were it not for that ETA-like 'swishing' sound it makes when its manually wound. I have never seen a Rolex movement, especially 1 of these, that sounded like an ETA. In its favor, the gears & (blued) hairspring appear to be made of the right stuff & it reads more like a Rolex (very stable) than an ETA on my timer readings, which I would not expect to see with a clone. So I am truly stumped.

Really nice blue dial ... I would not be so doubtful about the genuinity of the movement judging from what your ears suggest ... looking at it it seems absolutely genuine. If you look the visible parts of the movement they sing "Rolex" from every side. B)

Freddy,

when and if , one day, you will decide to sale that big blue .

Call me please! :rolleyes:

which I would not expect to see with a clone. So I am truly stumped.

I'm not aware of any Rolex 1575 clones. There may be some aftermarket parts in your watch, but that would be the extent of it- it's basically correct, albeit 30 years old or more.

There may some franken movements out there (pieced together from say a couple of movements), but if there were clones... I would think we would have seen them by now.

I'm not aware of any Rolex 1575 clones. There may be some aftermarket parts in your watch, but that would be the extent of it- it's basically correct, albeit 30 years old or more.

There may some franken movements out there (pieced together from say a couple of movements), but if there were clones... I would think we would have seen them by now.

I completely agree with you, alligoat!

Oh, don't worry. It can be interpreted as both. My 1575 did actually sound like sand in the gears. After cleaning it really well and oiling/greasing with appropriate (Rolex endorsed) lubricants, it sounded more like a swish. But - the swishing is located ebsides a clicking sound. It depends on the age of the spring - when the spring is new, it is noticable as a more clicking sound - when it's older and more worn, only the swish from the clutch gears will come through.

That's why a 28XX ETA can be made to sound like a 1575 - one would just have to properly - and I mean it - oil the automatic winding compartement with the correct oil plus isntalling a stronger spring for the retaining lever.

Thank you Repaustria, but this I know.

In nearly 25 years of collecting, I have never handled a Rolex movement that sounded like this 1. But I suppose it is possible that everything in the movement was recently serviced (as evidenced by its near pristine condition), with the exception of the automatic device module. But that sure seems like a stretch to me.

But I suppose it is possible that everything in the movement was recently serviced (as evidenced by its near pristine condition), with the exception of the automatic device module. But that sure seems like a stretch to me.

Or you just got lucky and so far with every service, the upmost care was taken while cleaning the parts. The old cleaners were pretty harsh and if one was not careful, you could easily strip the finish off the movement. The new automated Rolex cleaning machines time everything on a cycle. wash, rinse, dry, etc with no room for error.

Or you just got lucky and so far with every service, the upmost care was taken while cleaning the parts. The old cleaners were pretty harsh and if one was not careful, you could easily strip the finish off the movement. The new automated Rolex cleaning machines time everything on a cycle. wash, rinse, dry, etc with no room for error.

That just stretches the stretch out even further. Seems pretty unlikely to me.