When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pugwash's IWC Top Gun review

Pugwash

First of all, I would like to thank PureTime for donating this watch for review; it's very much appreciated.

Thanks, Angus.

topgun-header.jpg

From here on in, I would like to stress that all photos in this review are straight off the camera, with no retouching at all. The watch was delivered pristine and any dirt and marks visible in the photo are my doing.

Let's get one thing clear. This is a fantasy watch. It is not an actual model produced by IWC. It's based on the new IWC 3799 "Edition Top Gun" double-chronograph, but it differs in too many ways to list all of them. For instance, the 3799 is 4mm wider, is made of Ceramic and is a double-chrono. Comparison photos appear further in the article, but I wanted to make sure that we all started off knowing that we won't be able to compare accuracy with a real watch as much as we normally would.

Also, the hour-subdial hand was at 1 when the watch arrived and remained there until today after it was photographed and I reset it with the button. I should have noticed, but didn't until I was examining the photos. Sorry about that, it's not a problem with the watch.

top-gun-1.jpg

As you can see, the unique design feature of this watch is the date window, spanning yesterday and today. This is available on a few brands, but looks really good on this black design. The case is identical in every way to that of the IWC-3717 apart from the stealthy black PVD covering and the faux-pusher at 10-o-clock. The strap is a faux-kevlar with what appears to be a slightly bulkier than usual buckle.

top-gun-2.jpg

The chrono pushers are polished stainless steel and the crown is another item from the 3717.

top-gun-3.jpg

The caseback, however, is very unique. It uses the same logo as can be found on the steel caseback of the ceramic 3799, which may or may not put people off the watch as it's the logo from the movie Top Gun, instead of the actual TOPGUN logo used by the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School, to whom this watch is a homage.

top-gun-4.jpg

In further keeping with its 3717 roots, the case does not feature the Top Gun logo on the side of the case, unlike the 3799. You can see in this picture the quality of the PVD coating. It looks good to me.

The sapphire crystal is advertised as having AR coating, and it does. However, it's heavily tinted, making for more blue than you should see. The blue tint looks good on a black strapped black watch, but I may be tempted to get the crystal AR coated in the future.

top-gun-5.jpg

While the 3799 has a Kevlar strap to add machoitude or something, the replica has a faux-kevlar strap that passes as Kevlar at a glance, but I can't help think how cool this watch would look on a NATO.

top-gun-6.jpg

The pusher at 10-o-clock on the 3799 activates the split-chrono feature. I won't go into it too much as on this replica, it acts as a stress-relief button instead. I find pressing it makes me feel good, but it doesn't actually do anything on the watch. Enjoy the button; think of it as a freebie.

top-gun-7.jpg

As you can see, the hands are the same as the 3717 and the lume is equally as poor. We buy reps, we get poor lume; it's the rules. However, Angus advertises this watch as waterproof to over 50m, which is why you won't see a movement shot in this review. I won't be swimming with it, but I had no problems walking in the snow and getting it splashed cleaning stuff today. It's a watch to wash your car in as opposed to pearl-diving.

top-gun-8.jpg

In a comparison with a 3717, you can see the blue tint of the sapphire much clearer than in any other pictures. You can also see how damned good it looks in PVD. The day and date wheels on the 3717 are ETA ones, so don't compare the two. Owing to the fantasy nature of this watch, I won't be considering a wheel change.

Yes, this watch is a PVDed 3717 with a funky dial and a useless extra pusher. It's up to you if that's cool or not. I think it is, but that's just me. Angus sells this watch for $268 and it'a available in his section.

Bonus Section: IWC Top Gun replica vs IWC 3799 Double-Chrono

top-gun-9.jpg

Here you can see the sheer size difference. Check the subdials on the picture of the 3799 and you can see the massive spacing round the outside. The ceramic watch is simply huge.

top-gun-10.jpg

Yes, even the genuine has the same movie logo slug in the centre of the caseback.

Once more, I would like to extend my gratitude to Angus (PureTime) for supplying this watch for review.

It's NOT based on the new IWC 3799 "Edition Top Gun" double-chronograph.

it's based on new IWC Ceramic Doppelchronograph, ref. 3786-01. Limited edition of 1,000 pieces. But they made the caseback wrong:

I think you're probably right, and the rep manufacturers have done this type of thing before (for example, some AP reps have a City of Sails case back, even though the rep isn't a CofS model).

Still a great review though. :)

It's NOT based on the new IWC 3799 "Edition Top Gun" double-chronograph.

it's based on new IWC Ceramic Doppelchronograph, ref. 3786-01. Limited edition of 1,000 pieces. But they made the caseback wrong:

Best Regards,

Raymond

It is closer to Ceramic Doppel because of center seconds hand shape, but still wrong size - 3786 is 44mm.

regards

It is closer to Ceramic Doppel because of center seconds hand shape, but still wrong size - 3786 is 44mm.

Clearly, this is a fantasy watch that's inspired by two watches, but it could never be mistaken for a ceramic watch. It's pretty obvious I like this watch and did so from the moment I saw it. It's one of those decisions a buyer has to make: do they like decent fantasy watches or do they need their watches to be based on specific models?

I don't really see the point of this. Unless they make a proper IWC Doppel Top Gun rep with the side case engraving and the red planes on the hands, this will always look like what it is: a 3717 with a Top Gun sticker on the caseback. A really poor effort, IMO.

However...it does have the cool expanded date window...and Angus says you can swim with this one...that alone might be worth it!!

Other FREE features are, it also has everybody's favourite serial number!! :lol:

The REALLY important question is not "what the point of this" is...it's "Pug, how would the PVD look on a brown croc strap?"

I've put it on a 20mm NATO for today and can put it on the 21mm 3717 strap tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Ace! I'm thinking the black on black might be better than brown on black.

Do you know if the Di-Modell Imperator 22mm is the one that fits properly on the 3717's?? They don't seem to have a 21mm...

Ace! I'm thinking the black on black might be better than brown on black.

Do you know if the Di-Modell Imperator 22mm is the one that fits properly on the 3717's?? They don't seem to have a 21mm...

Ooops...I just answered my own question with a bit more reading: 3717 Strap Sizing

It appears the 3717 case lug width is 21mm, but some have put 22mm in with no problems...minimal to no compression. The alternative is a 20mm but that leaves a gap, and the oversizing of the 22mm means only 0.5mm per side which is negligble.

• 2 weeks later...
Ooops...I just answered my own question with a bit more reading: 3717 Strap Sizing

It appears the 3717 case lug width is 21mm, but some have put 22mm in with no problems...minimal to no compression. The alternative is a 20mm but that leaves a gap, and the oversizing of the 22mm means only 0.5mm per side which is negligble.

Yep. I went with a 22mm DiModell Chronissimo for my 3717, and it fits fine.. BTW, lonestar has the Imperator for only $54.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...