When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona On My Mind

Victoria

I think I'm falling in love -- with the Rolex Daytona in white. :wub:

One of the very first two rep watches I ever bought was a black Rolex Daytona for my father, since he always wanted to have the gen. He came very close twice to owning one, but never pulled the trigger. It's one of Jay's cheaper Watchsilix versions, and I have to say, it's gorgeous (featured in this Monday's Wristchecks).

But you know, it's a little masculine-looking for me.

As soon as CNY is over, I'll buy a white version, but which? Your opinions/suggestions are very welcome.

rol106-1.jpg

rol018-1.jpg

By-Tor's review on the Rolex Daytona (seconds @ 6) is a must-read. Link provided below for those who missed it.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=309454

Extra Shots:

daniellelloyd15.jpg

Danielle Lloyd.

matthiassammer.jpg

Matthias Sammer.

francescototti.jpg

Francesco Totti.

celeb_maradona.jpg

And, of course, Diego Armando Maradona.

Dear Victoria:

Here is my opinion:

1.) the first photo should be base on Rolex 116520 with in-house movement 4130 running second@6 on Gen. The subdial should be "Champagne" rather than the "Silver" in your photo. Also; the one you show is NOT the latest version of Daytona 116520; go get the latest one if u go for this

2.) the second photo should be base on Rolex 16520 with "Zenith" movement running second@9 on Gen. This model current sell by our dealer also use the A7750 running sec@6 movement. That mean it's wrong. I asked Angus long tim ago about the 16520 with running sec@9; because he told me that the factory no longer produce this model anymore. So, I believe it's quite difficult or maybe impossible to find this correct version anymore.

3.) Please be remind the problematic movement of Daytona @6sec. They're really scare me in hell.....I owned one 116509 had been replaced 5 times + Full serviced + repaired 2 times....But it still die on me. No doubt Daytona is the best made rep in whole Rolex series (IMHO). However, the movement is totally piece of SHXT & made me frustrate. I already give-up my tona...

Hope the above information could help, if any more question feel free to PM me!

Yours Faithfully,

Raymond

Go for the silver subdial model, Vicky. No doubt.

Btw, I just got it. ^_^

Btw 2, you showed a Silix pic (thanks again for letting me see your pics!), but it's looks not on Silix' list anymore.

Maybe they can still source it anyway...

Nice Daytona.

Is Diego wearing two of them? :huh:

Yep. But the Italian police seized them :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5057422.stm

For me there's only one modern Daytona: The 2001 model with champagne subdial rings.

flash.jpg

Yep. But the Italian police seized them :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5057422.stm

Hahahaha! Oh man! It's bad enough he was wearing two of them (when he had to know they would be looking for something), but then to have them confiscated? That's just too funny. Obviously, not a real bright one, eh?

SR

daniellelloyd15.jpg

I think I'm falling in love too :lol: .

But like you Daytonas have really started growing on me lately. Although I prefer the modern white version with champagne subdials, the seconds @6 issue scares me away. But seeing Freddy's awesome vintage collection, the 6263/6265 could be a good alternative.

(left pic = gen 6265)

post-4081-1202120366_thumb.jpg

post-4081-1202120432_thumb.jpg

Vic, I'd stay away from the modern Daytonas, the movement is too unstable.

I'd also suggest a vintage Daytona with the manual wind movement - beautiful, elegant, rare design, super-reliable movement and the 37mm case size should fit your wrist impeccably.

I think I'm going to get one after elpremirozen's review.

As soon as CNY is over, I'll buy a white version, but which? Your opinions/suggestions are very welcome.

The Silix version is highly inaccurate, but horological inaccuracy on a woman's wrist is rarely held against her (or noticed). Joshua sells a version that is highly accurate (nearly indistinguishable from the gen), but powered by the highly unreliable secs at 6 7750 movement. The former looks like a fake & the latter may be a ticking time-bomb.

Choose your poison.

Go for the silver subdial model, Vicky. No doubt.

Given that you, By-Tor and others all plump down for the silver/champagne, yep. :)

I am delighted again that you chose a watch I like, Sssurfer!

Btw 2, you showed a Silix pic (thanks again for letting me see your pics!), but it's looks not on Silix' list anymore.

Maybe they can still source it anyway...

No, no. I am not like you guys -- have never bought from the pricier, better silix-prime. I only buy from Jay's cheapo watchsilix.com.

Voil

rol132-1.jpg

rol173-1.jpg

Lastly, I buy Jay's Rolexes because ( a ) they are cheap, and ( b ) they have lasted me more than pricey ones from other collectors!

I wouldn't buy neither of these. I don't know what it is and I'm certainly not a Rolex expert, but these 2 scream fake to me. Maybe it's the subdial spacing, the rehaut, the width of the bezel...

Have you check these already? I think these are both A7750 with secs@9. So after servicing/oiling you'll be fine. Also the subdial spacing looks pretty accurate.

hxxp://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/puretime/WATCHES/ROLEX/DAYTONA/ref-6265/

hxxp://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/puretime/WATCHES/ROLEX/DAYTONA/ref-6263%20asian%207750/

Have you check these already? I think these are both A7750 with secs@9. So after servicing/oiling you'll be fine.

Mmm, this is lovely and very accurate-looking.

DSCN0026.jpg

Thanks, Scoobs! I have something to ponder. :)

...my mother is the type who can get away with the gold Daytona, even if I find it tatty.

EDIT: Another freebie shot for the lads.

tara_reid_neu.jpg

Tara Reid.

Much better choice Vic thank the Silix version.

It's beautiful. I don't have the tinkering gene so many of you have, and don't care if a rep is SO accurate. They're reps, and I am not trying to make them look like gens.

But I do firmly believe that with vintage watches, reps included, one should honour their beauty and heritage.

Let's see if my wallet allows me this sentiment...

I tried on the two-tone version with white face at the AD yesterday. It made me very sad, since it was probably the most beautiful Rolex I had ever seen. I really badly want a Daytona - and have wanted on for quite some time. However, until they fix that movement, I won't be getting one.

Given that you, By-Tor and others all plump down for the silver/champagne, yep. :)

Good girl.

I am delighted again that you chose a watch I like, Sssurfer!

I too!

No, no. I am not like you guys -- have never bought from the pricier, better silix-prime. I only buy from Jay's cheapo watchsilix.com.

That's 37 Euros, folks. Even with the limp dollar, that's still only a shade over $50.

Good watch for the price, Vicky, congrats on your find!

Here is a compare pic with a gen and the watch that I got @ special offer 199 USD s/h included:

compare2js3.jpg

compare2js3.jpg

How DO you do this? I need to get Photoshop, Sssurfer, but even so I wouldn't have your skill.

This is an excellent compare/contrast.

I will look at them in detail in the "morning". I am watching the last two Samba Schools in Rio, on television. Yes, at 3:50 AM. :p

Mille grazie, :sss:!