When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona On My Mind

Victoria

How DO you do this? I need to get Photoshop, Sssurfer, but even so I wouldn't have your skill.

This is an excellent compare/contrast.

With this comparison it's very easy to see that the gen and the rep on the right have the 2 subdials positioned just above the 9 and 3 marks while the one on the left have it exactly alligned with the 9 and 3.

The one on the left has also a wider subdial spacing than the other 2.

But for E 37,-..... I wouldn't care less.

And what you guys think of this one

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1226

It's a bit more expensive (180$) but I think lemania mvt are reliable and the quality should be good

Honestly, I would not go for it. Three issues:

1. It is a model with secs @ 9Hr. No need for a lemania mvt with secs @ 9, the 7750 is good enough. 7750 problems arise on secs @ 6Hr, like in the one I got (and that I am aware is a bit of a gambling -- fingers crossed).

2 and 3 are accuracy issues:

2. The aligmnent of the E & W pins with the central pin (as scoobs correctly pointed out)

and

3. the placement of the "ROLEX" text

are like in the "Vicky's" model.

These are completely acceptable @ 50 USD, not @ 180.

To anyone who cares:

when you choose a Daytona, look for:

1. The size and placement of the "ROLEX" (and following) text. The "ROLEX" text should be aligned with the bottom end of the 11Hr and 1Hr marks, not below.

2. The size and placement of the subdials.

3. The aligment of the central pin with the E & W pins (the E & W should be placed a little upper).

4. The size and shape of the crown and crown guards.

5. The crispness of the logo and all engravings.

6. The bezel's width.

7. Anything else that may come to your mind. :)

I am positive that the model I chose has a very decent quality/price ratio. Its main flaw (to my eyes) is in the marks -- they are sort of a little "fatter" than the genuine. I can live with that. Actually, I even like that more than the gen. But I am aware it is an inaccuracy.

How DO you do this? I need to get Photoshop, Sssurfer, but even so I wouldn't have your skill.

This is an excellent compare/contrast.

I will look at them in detail in the "morning". I am watching the last two Samba Schools in Rio, on television. Yes, at 3:50 AM. :p

Mille grazie, :sss:!

Well, I actually DON'T even have Photoshop... It's PaintShop. :lol:

And no skill needed, it's just a trivial matter.

And no thanks needed. It's always a pleasure posting in your threads, Vicky. ^_^

sssurfer -- Where did you get your Daytona? It looks like you have the same 1 that I got from a UK auction site a few years ago (the dial & CGs look the same), and it is one of the few that are still running. It also has a lower profile case, which sets this version apart from every other 1165xx Daytona rep I have seen.

sssurfer -- Where did you get your Daytona? It looks like you have the same 1 that I got from a UK auction site a few years ago (the dial & CGs look the same), and it is one of the few that are still running. It also has a lower profile case, which sets this version apart from every other 1165xx Daytona rep I have seen.

I got it on Tonyxkf's website, here.

It was on weekly promotion at 199 USD, now it's out of promotion at 399 USD. But Tony's prices are blowupped on his site, I suppose he would sell it at about 250 USD (I seem to remember this was its price on CQout).

Just please don't laugh too loudly at the rotor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got it on Tonyxkf's website, here.

It was on weekly promotion at 199 USD, now it's out of promotion at 399 USD. But Tony's prices are blowupped on his site, I suppose he would sell it at about 250 USD (I seem to remember this was its price on CQout).

Just please don't laugh too loudly at the rotor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks & yes, that IS the same 1 I got a few years ago on CQ. Never mind about the rotor (no one ever sees that)........it has the 1st generation secs at 6 7750, which seems better able to 'haul' the extra secs at 6 gearing without suffering a premature death (mine has been running for3.5 years) & the case alone is worth the cost of the watch since it is the only 1165xx rep that has nearly correct case dimensions.

post-3175-1202240825_thumb.jpg

(Our case at right, all other 1165xx Daytona reps at left)

However, the dial has a number of inaccuracies, so I purchased 1 of Joshua's 2001 Daytonas & swapped the dial from that watch into mine. So, now, except for its having the wrong caseback (all 1165xx Daytona reps have the wrong caseback) & a slightly too tall bezel, I have the best of the best & the watch (viewed from the front) is almost indistinguishable from the gen (but you do need to mod the stock CGs as I have done here)

post-3175-1202240769_thumb.jpg

If we could only locate a source for the correct (flat & brushed) modern Daytona caseback (like this, but without any engraving)

71180084_bb4a7899d9_o.jpg

when you choose a Daytona, look for:

1. The size and placement of the "ROLEX" (and following) text. The "ROLEX" text should be aligned with the bottom end of the 11Hr and 1Hr marks, not below.

2. The size and placement of the subdials.

3. The aligment of the central pin with the E & W pins (the E & W should be placed a little upper).

4. The size and shape of the crown and crown guards.

5. The crispness of the logo and all engravings.

6. The bezel's width.

7. Anything else that may come to your mind. :)

THANK YOU. This is such a help to ANY NEWBIE here, even if I won't act on it right away. I'm too cheap. ;)

And I've yet to see the Big Lebowski. Why I only just saw Ron Burgundy, so I'm behind the cult film times.

And I've yet to see the Big Lebowski. Why I only just saw Ron Burgundy, so I'm behind the cult film times.

Lebowski is not a cult film, it is a masterpiece & should be required viewing for all fans of the cinematic arts (or cerebral humor). But I should add that I saw it, twice, with female friends and neither enjoyed the movie or got the humor at all. Similar reaction with 'There's Something About Mary', which made me soil not 1, but 2 pair of Pampers, while my female friends sat there stone faced or grimacing. These are probably not what you would call 'chick flicks'. But 1 of the characters in 'Mary' did appear to be wearing a gold President, so I guess that makes it watch-able (pun intended).

But I should add that I saw it, twice, with female friends and neither enjoyed the movie or got the humor at all.

Yes, but we've established that a lot of your female friends are the opposite of the mean -- they don't like Rolexes, and women adore them. So I feel comfortable that I shall like/enjoy/appreciate/wet my pants over The Big Lebowski.

Oh, BTW, chick flicks, whilst a quaint and handy term, tends to narrow tastes unduly. One only has to utter "chick flick" these days, to see men flee in horror from a cinema.

Me, I hated Borat and loved The Devil Wears Prada. But I love John Ford Westerns and you can throw all the Dirty Dozen type films at me that you can carry.

Something About Mary was literally filmed in my backyard. LOVED IT.

Thanks & yes, that IS the same 1 I got a few years ago on CQ. Never mind about the rotor (no one ever sees that)........it has the 1st generation secs at 6 7750, which seems better able to 'haul' the extra secs at 6 gearing without suffering a premature death (mine has been running for3.5 years) & the case alone is worth the cost of the watch since it is the only 1165xx rep that has nearly correct case dimensions.

Good to know, freddy, thanks for the info!

If we could only locate a source for the correct (flat & brushed) modern Daytona caseback

Do you think that filing it down to erase the engravings would remove too much of the caseback thickness?

Do you think that filing it down to erase the engravings would remove too much of the caseback thickness?

That would probably work since the engraving on rep casebacks is not very deep (which is 1 of the ways to identify them as reps vs the rare gen 'WINNER' watches, which have much deeper (hand) engravings). Do you know of a source for these casebacks with the engraving? All the 'WINNER' casebacks I have seen were the same beveled style that comes on these reps anyway.

Do you know of a source for these casebacks with the engraving?

Unfortunately, no. :( I am also quite of a noob about Rolex... :( :(

Unfortunately, no. :( I am also quite of a noob about Rolex... :( :(

Well, you found that website that sells the 1165xx with the right case, and I have been searching for those watches for years. So it obviously does not matter how long you have been doing this. It is all luck & timing. So we just have to get lucky & find a source for those flat Daytona casebacks......and I am sure they are out there somewhere.

Oh, BTW, chick flicks, whilst a quaint and handy term, tends to narrow tastes unduly. One only has to utter "chick flick" these days, to see men flee in horror from a cinema.

Me, I hated Borat and loved The Devil Wears Prada. But I love John Ford Westerns and you can throw all the Dirty Dozen type films at me that you can carry.

How can people not like "chick flicks"? That's where the chicks are. HAH.

Loved Devil Wears Prada...was amazed at Borat...can't say I enjoyed it...but was impressed by how much jaw-dropping I did and it being essentially a high-risk improv venture.

As to the watches...I'm thinking of that retro panda 6263 after elprimerozen review found here: Elprimerozen 6263 Review.

I don't really notice the assymetrical pusher flaw, and I do like the acrylic tach ring instead of the usual printed metal. The 37mm width is nice...not really a big fan of the fixed hour totalizer at 6...but I don't use that function too often.

Has anyone noticed that Ms. Reid is wearing her 16528 upside down?

HA HA HA! wow! No one ever accused her of being smart thats for sure! lol

Even if you just tosses the watch on for a minute just to take the pic, you think you would notice its on backwards lol

:huh:

dizz

Stay away from the Sec@6 movement! Its a timebomb. Mine lasted 2 weeks. Go for an older style or a good sec@9 if you can find one. Im sure you've read The Zigmeisters review of the sec@6 conversion, but if not then you better read it before you buy one.

dizz