When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newb here need help please making my first purchase.

LifterCatcher

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but it states in your avatar that you joined this board only 40 minutes before making this post and that I'm afraid does not allow much time for searching the board.

When I first came to the rep scene my first purchase came after reading for hours everyday for two weeks, needless to say I have never bought a watch that I was unhappy with.

At the end of the day no one can tell you where or who to buy from that needs to be your decision derived from your own research, everything you need to know is here on this board all you need to do is read it.

Welcome to RWG

Ken

Ok I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but it states in your avatar that you joined this board only 40 minutes before making this post and that I'm afraid does not allow much time for searching the board.

When I first came to the rep scene my first purchase came after reading for hours everyday for two weeks, needless to say I have never bought a watch that I was unhappy with.

At the end of the day no one can tell you where or who to buy from that needs to be your decision derived from your own research, everything you need to know is here on this board all you need to do is read it.

Welcome to RWG

Ken

Nope not harsh it took me a little bit to understand how this forum works but I am getting the hang of it.

Nope not harsh it took me a little bit to understand how this forum works but I am getting the hang of it.

That was really understanding of you, LifterCatcher. I think you'll like the forum in due course -- and you'll see how much info it has, just waiting for you to uncover it. Enjoy. :)

EDIT: First thread I saw after posting here, JB's fully modded Fiddy on sale. Note, the E-series with decorated bridges is difficult to get hold of these days. JB is a Mod over at RWI, but please check everything out, Lifter. Drawback -- it's pricey. Positive: it's in CONUS, in case that's good for you. Good luck!

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry402413

Thanks that is the same link that Victoria posted above. $600.00 is a little much for my first Replica watch but that Fiddy is so beautiful :D I was thinking about this one from pam111 for my first rep.

"Fiddy" Pam 127 3rd EDITION

W1684-3.jpg

W1684-6.jpg

Like said above the Fiddys seem very hard to find right now and I would like to get my hands on one while I can, for a nice price. Does the watch in the link look like a good starting watch? It's beautiful to me :lol:

Edited by LifterCatcher

I was thinking about this one from pam111 for my first rep.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Batten down the hatches! Damn the torpedos, don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!!

Just no. :wounded1:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=117

First few threads:

- Paul's Shipping Seized at Customs

Why Doesn't He Listen...

- Paul

chronology Part II

- Wrong Band / Bracelet

- Paul delivered a different watch

- Paul

chronology Part I

- Big problems with Paul @ wo-mart PAM111

Try Andrew, Josh, Silix, heck even Tony at Cquout whom I never used. Anyone, but not Paul for your FIRST rep. Or any rep (IMHO)...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Batten down the hatches! Damn the torpedos, don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!!

Just no. :wounded1:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=117

First few threads:

- Paul's Shipping Seized at Customs

Why Doesn't He Listen...

- Paul

chronology Part II

- Wrong Band / Bracelet

- Paul delivered a different watch

- Paul

chronology Part I

- Big problems with Paul @ wo-mart PAM111

Try Andrew, Josh, Silix, heck even Tony at Cquout whom I never used. Anyone, but not Paul for your FIRST rep. Or any rep (IMHO)...

Holy Smokes thanks a lot for the input scrath that one right off the list! LOL Thanks! Ok so I guess the search is on again I will check out the ones that you posted. Now the hard part trying to find their site from the names that you posted ,,,LOL

OK lets try this again! LOL I am really wanting a Fiddy because of the size 47mm which I love. However I dont really want hand wind. Doesw Paneari make a 47mm auto?

I found this fiddy what about this one?

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1184

pans006-8.jpg

pans006-6.jpg

Price is only $150.00 Seems low to me?

Not very accurate - but for this kind of money, you can check out if you like the look.

Silix is a great person to deal with.

I would go for the second from silix, firstly i doupt that the molnija movement is still available and the second one is more accurate, and i belive it has saphirre and not plexi, please do a search about "exploding fiddys" before you jump, As i say to all new members spend some time before you spend your cash!

And welcome

I would go for the second from silix, firstly i doupt that the molnija movement is still available and the second one is more accurate, and i belive it has saphirre and not plexi, please do a search about "exploding fiddys" before you jump, As i say to all new members spend some time before you spend your cash!

And welcome

Thanks a lot I am looking into this. It seems that there is a lot of stress on the big glass and they seem to break. Pretty scary! I really want to find a Auomatic 47mm but it seems that they are only made in 44mm So mabe I should make my first purchase a 44mm Auto? This sound a little better than jumping into a Fiddy. I really like a BIG watch but I think that a 44mm is still rpetty big.

Edited by LifterCatcher

just note that i've read some folks who have the mineral glass one and it shatters/explodes (not like a bomb :p )

there've been some cases where folks have some bumps here and there and the glass breaks. unavoidable if u go for a cheaper end with mineral glass.

a good 127 with good lume & mods and i think sapphire????? goes for ~ 400?

i cant remember, i havent checked 127 prices lately.

the second one from silex looks a lot better - the crown 10x better than t he previous one.

just note that i've read some folks who have the mineral glass one and it shatters/explodes (not like a bomb :p )

there've been some cases where folks have some bumps here and there and the glass breaks. unavoidable if u go for a cheaper end with mineral glass.

a good 127 with good lume & mods and i think sapphire????? goes for ~ 400?

i cant remember, i havent checked 127 prices lately.

the second one from silex looks a lot better - the crown 10x better than t he previous one.

I hear ya, I think that $400.00 is alot to put into my first Rep. I know that I am going to love this stuff because I can have my dream watch for a fraction of the price, but I just want to make a smart first purchase. I have been GLUED to this site since I have signed up it's great I am learning so much. Ok how does this one look? Im I getting annotying yet? :p

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1485

This watch seems to have what I am looking for

MOVEMENT: Automatic 21j Asian Movement

PRICE: 80USD

AVAILABILITY: Yes

DETAIL: Dimension: 44mm x 51mm x 12mm

Movement: Automatic Chinese movement

Dial: Black with power reserve meter

Bezel: Stainless steel

Case: Stainless steel

Strap: Black leather strap

Glass: Mineral crystal with anti-scratch coating

Waterproof/Water-resistant:Yes

I cannot believe the price is only $80.00 does it look bad? 80.00 seems very cheap! Does anyone have this watch?

pans056-1.jpg

pans056-4.jpg

pans056-2.jpg

How does that look for a first Rep watch>? The crown and protector look weak to me but for $80.00 can't really be beat.

Edited by LifterCatcher

Lifter, if I could go back in time, and speak to my newbie rep-buying self, I'd say this:

Girl, save your money. Go for the best PAM you can find, even if you think it's RIDICULOUS to pay 390 USD for a Panerai rep. Once you buy the best version, that first watch you bought will never be put on again, after the second.

I beg you on my knees, Lifter, to consider buying the best version first. Be it Davidsen, be it TWP, be it Angus, be it whomever. And above all, READ READ READ the Panerai section, at least 6 months-worth. And the abbreviations list.

EDIT: Okay, I just read your reply about being glued. Yay! :)

Your baby steps have been taken by others, me included. If I had listened to the membership when I was asking the same question, I would've bought a Davidsen 112 straight off the bat.

bringingpam112senapeue0.jpg

But noooooo, I had to buy a fantasy Mini-Fiddy from Paul first just because it was $99. Ugh. I never wear it.

Others have told you the second set of Silix Fiddy photos are best. Agreed. Please know that Jay is one of my favourite merchants but speedy replies are not his fort

Victoria thanks a lot for your very helpful post. Your watch that you posted with the sunglasses looks amazing. Thanks a lot for posting the link to Andrew / Trusty he has a lot of options that look very good. I have been searching his site for a while now and you wrote

EDIT: I say, if you want Automatics (which I do not like), go to Andrew/Trusty:

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...f6017aed390da7c

For your FIRST time, you should have a little peace of mind. If things go wrong, he'll fix them fast.

And that sounds great to me. As a first time buyer that sounds like a very good option. Peice of mind is great

I found a 44mm that really caught my eye

LINK TO THE WATCH

P000A02.JPG

It's an auto and the crown and protector look great. Your thoughts? I know I know I should buy the best right off the bat but I really cant afford more than $250.00 right now. ALso I would replace the strap asap when I would get it.

Edited by LifterCatcher

Victoria Once again your post is great the Rep and the Gen look very close! I can live with the skinny crown that does not bug me at all. I just hope the watch keeps good time and I have a WINNER! I am so excited! I actaully bookmarked the thread that Kenmasters did about straps and have some good ideas. Well I E-mailed andrew with a few questions and I am sure he will get back to me asap. I have been searching his site a lot and it seems he gets RAVE reviews when it comes to customer service and people say that he responds very quickly. As soon as I speak with him I will make the purchase on the 000 Logo.

Did I say that I am so EXCITED!

Great Advice as always Victoria.

But beware liftercatcher of the PAM strap addiction/frustration/envy it will grab you before you know it , and a dozen straps later you'll be saying HOW DID I GET HERE? where did all these straps come from? OMG I could of bought another 2 reps at least..................................

Enjoy :D

Great Advice as always Victoria.

Thank you both, so much. :good:

I'd like to say something now, not out of false modesty, but because it's the truth.

My speciality on this forum is helpfulness. It comes easily to me, because I truly like to help people out. But please do not mistake my eagerness with anything approaching true knowledge about watches. I'm almost as much a newbie as you are, Lifter. :)

Sure, I know a little, and I've bought tonnes of rep watches, but it pales in comparison to the true experts here, like Sssurfer, Kruzer00, PamMan, and so many others.

So I'll always be active in these types of threads -- but knowing my limitations. There, wanted to get that off my chest since last night. :p

Good luck, though! Great choice, and spot on about the straps, Stormy.

Also remember CNY is still on, so you may have a couple more days wait from Andrew before he replies

Also remember CNY is still on, so you may have a couple more days wait from Andrew before he replies

Thanks for the reminder this is actually a good thing. I will have some extra cash when he gets back and mabe buy a nice strap for it!

Chris

I've been told by Davison that he no longer has any more 127's. Is there another dealer that you guys can recommend that will have his qulity? Thanks and this is a great thread.

Pam 127's are hard to find right now Jb has a very nice one for sale for $600.00

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry402413

Shot never mind it's sold!

Try Andrew at Trusty Time he has quite a few

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...f6017aed390da7c

Edited by LifterCatcher