When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dad Receives an Omega for 45 years service

Viennawatch

Well the title says it all.

My parents invited a bunch of people for dinner over last night, mainly from the company my dad works at. His boss, a Saudi, was there as well and during dinner he hands my dad a gift. The bag had Omega written on it, I was shocked, he pulled it out. A red box with a beautiful PO in it. Black Bezel, White Numbers, Steel Strap. SOOOOO beautiful. I am soooo jealous, but my dad deserves it. Luckily I wasn't wearing my UPO for dinner, otherwise it would have been clearly embarrassing, for both parties. I wasn't wearing any watch to be honest.

Don't we all want to work so hard to receive such a gift? I think I'll go to bed and cry now...

By the way, I will try and take pics to satisfy the hungry eyes...

Regards,

VW

Not many Aussie companies are going to hand out PO's for 45 years service........regardless of how hard you work. :(

Used to be, no matter how lowly you were, if you had 45 years of service in any company you got a solid gold watch. Times have changed. :(

Vienna, wow, what a tremendous story, and many congrats to your dad! He deserves that, although and this is not to take away ANYTHING from his service -- when I think Saudi, I think bling pink gold $$$ Rolex.

In fact, I'm impressed the boss chose the PO. Very elegant. :)

(And very human, sweet admission by you about not wearing your UPO)

I guess it depends what your role is in the company and which company. I mean if I cleaned the toilets for one company for 45 years... I may get a golden toilet scrubber... lol...

Pics will come up soon! Very soon! Dad is on a business trip and well... he's wearing it! lol

:cry: I'm so broke... I can barely afford a mod on a rep! lol

But then again 45 years are very very long time. He deserves more than that.

Amen to that. It's a wonderful gesture, but it also sounds like that kind of loyalty deserves it a dozen times over. Best wishes to all concerned :good:

@Ken - I like this idea of watches for staff, I'm going to suggest it for key guys - starting with me :lol:

I guess it depends what your role is in the company and which company.

Not just company, but any position used to net you some gold bauble.

Speaking of Vienna, my great-grandpa was a chemist and worked first for the Chemistry Dept as professor, then in the chemistry section of their library. After 50 years, he retired.

At his retirement ceremony, he got a gold medal (Germans and Austrians used to love this) with the school Arms; a platinum pen (again, Germans and Austrians love pens and stationery); and a gold watch.

I think he was holding out for the Key to the City, though. :p

Yeah... The fat years are over for many companies. But then again 45 years are very very long time. He deserves more than that.

This Omega was a gift offered by his employer as an expression of gratitude and respect for his years of service. It isn't something that was required or an obligation but, a gift. Too often I hear the "you owe me" attitude from people with regard to government as well as their employers. Enough never seems to be enough for many people and demands are endless. There are no guarantees for a reward for your services other than the agreed upon compensation for that service unless you are fortunate enough to be a CEO with a "golden parachute" in your contact. If this isn't your intended meaning, please accept my apology.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha sorry i got back so late on this. I find it interesting how the topic shifted slightly. And Amen to Pugwash's comment about not having to look for work! I momentarily am having that problem and to find something you will be happy doing for even just a few years, is already difficult these days.

Regarding the gift, my dad didn't expect it. He totally loves his job and was just a sign of gratitude for his loyalty and success for the company. My dad is not a big watch guy, but ever since I started talking to him about watches, his interest has picked up quite a bit and now that he got this PO... well well... He is more than happy! :)

@Victoria

In fact I think the medal and certificate awards still happen today! :)

Like 45 years of salary, benefits and accrued pension? He's lucky he's never needed to look for work since his 20s. ;)

I think the point is that since Vienna's dad works and lives in the UAE, he wouldn't have had it, in Austria. The Old Continent isn't half easy on its sons and daughters -- glad I left before experiencing the rollercoaster myself.

But sorry for your troubles, Pug.

@Vienna: Cool! No watch though. :p