When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Toad's Guide - Pictorial Reference Guide to Rare Vintage Rolex

Toadtorrent

Title.jpg

In gathering up the courage to start modding, like many, I think of vintage the Rolex as a departure point to what may well be an all consuming hobby. Whether or not some of the existing out-of-the box vintage reps are accurate, I think few can argue (hah hah) that some of the vintage designs are the nicest looking watches out there.

We've seen some amazing examples from the mod-masters out there of Franken-rollies, and amazing aging and distressing work using a variety of tools (Scotchbrite pads, Dremels, etc) and household appliances (washers and dryers).

Attached below are a collection of reference pictures of fine examples of some of the rarer vintage Rolexes to use as reference and inspiration.

==================

THINGS TO NOTE

==================

Remembering that these are considered excellent examples of rare watches, what I found interesting is the variance in crown guard shape. In the pictures below you will find thick crown guards, pointy crown guards, non-symmetrically shaped crown guards and everything in between.

So, for those who are concerned about the accuracy of their crown guard shaping, with vintage, ANYTHING GOES!!! If anyone says your crown guards are wrong...you just tell them they're just rare and vintage.

As well, the GMT 1675 apparently (though not pictured) comes with a display back. So, references that any Rolex with a display back is a fake is not necessarily true.

Thanks to Stephane, Nanuk, By-Tor, Repaustria and others for the inspiration behind this post.

The pics are all taken from an amazing auction to be held on these actual pieces by Antiquorum, and resized for your viewing pleasure and in case they take the post down after the auction. The text is pretty much taken verbatim from Antiquorum as well...just formatted with the occasional comment.

Original Antiquorum Reference Link

=============================

REF 1665 - Single Red Sea Dweller (SRSD)

=============================

1665_500M2.jpg

sredfaceedit.jpg

casebackvig.jpg

singleredmovement.jpg

This is the SUPER Big Kahuna.

REFERENCE: Prototye Rolex

Interesting factoid about the DR shown... it doesn't say Submariner 2000 on the dial.

Can you find a photo of a SRSD for this fine tutorial?

Done!

I had been searching for a good pic of a SRSD for quite some time earlier but to daate, still haven't found one. I've included the best I could find.

I also updated the post to include a meters first 1680, and a standard DRSD (Submariner 2000).

• 1 month later...