When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nokia Morph

Victoria

Absolutely awesome :o However. Battery life and other considerations might mean I might not actually use such a device.

For example. I can listen to MP3s on my phone, but, it drains the battery (quicker than just having it on standby in my pocket) So I use a seperate MP3 player.

But when I'm listening to my MP3 player, it drowns out the phone's ring tone, and I can (and did today) miss a call...

So, what option... Phone, or MP3 player?

This is the kind of 'inflexibility' which could plague such a device. While performing another function, it is incapable of performing the other. Example, you're using it in phone mode, and someone asks you for the time. You look at your wrist, but, there's no watch there, as it's being used as a phone :lol: Or you're doing some word-processing, and need to make a call. You can't just pick up a phone, you'd (most likely) have to save what you're doing, and re-configure the device... Flexible, but inflexible for the very reasons that make it 'flexible' :lol:

[Edit to add]

To answer the question about phone or MP3 player, my best option would be to use my phone as the MP3 player, and just keep an eye on the charge, and have a seperate MP3 player for use when the phone's battery needs conserving :)

Edited by TeeJay

Sheesh, if I showed cartoons about flying cars, would you be discussing their fuel consumption?

By the time Nokia even get to the proof of concept on this one, batteries will have the power of fusion reactors and we'll be telling our robots to hand-deliver letters instead of phoning people.

Jeevesbot, please deliver this missive to RWG, forthwith!

That's easy. "Dude, STFU. I'm on the phone!"

Just for you, Mr. Humbug. Some pics of how the Morph may look like. Parting shots for the night.

MORPH Open Mode

01_Morph_Open_Mode_lowres.jpg

MORPH Open Operating

02_Morph_Open_Operating_lowres.jpg

MORPH Phone Mode

03_Morph_Phone_Mode_lowres.jpg

And the dread MORPH Wrist Mode

04_Morph_Wrist_Mode_lowres.jpg

This might not be around until 2020, and even then, it might cost like a kajillion dollars to own, but DAYUM. Sweet.

Absolutely awesome :o However. Battery life and other considerations might mean I might not actually use such a device.

For example. I can listen to MP3s on my phone, but, it drains the battery (quicker than just having it on standby in my pocket) So I use a seperate MP3 player.

But when I'm listening to my MP3 player, it drowns out the phone's ring tone, and I can (and did today) miss a call...

So, what option... Phone, or MP3 player?

This is the kind of 'inflexibility' which could plague such a device. While performing another function, it is incapable of performing the other. Example, you're using it in phone mode, and someone asks you for the time. You look at your wrist, but, there's no watch there, as it's being used as a phone :lol: Or you're doing some word-processing, and need to make a call. You can't just pick up a phone, you'd (most likely) have to save what you're doing, and re-configure the device... Flexible, but inflexible for the very reasons that make it 'flexible' :lol:

[Edit to add]

To answer the question about phone or MP3 player, my best option would be to use my phone as the MP3 player, and just keep an eye on the charge, and have a seperate MP3 player for use when the phone's battery needs conserving :)

What phone do you have, Tee? I have the RIM Curve and use the mp3 player for an hour everyday and it still last 3 to 4 days!

What phone do you have, Tee? I have the RIM Curve and use the mp3 player for an hour everyday and it still last 3 to 4 days!

A Cect P168+ I get about the same battery life out of mine, if not slightly better. However, if I don't listen to the MP3s at all, then the charge lasts a lot longer ;) That said, when MP3s from a seperate MP3 player drown out phonecalls, then that's more a hinderance than a help. Fortunately, now my new headphone adaptor has arrived (allows me to use any headphones with the phone) I don't have to worry about missing calls while listening to my tunes :)

I guess all I was trying to illustrate, is that a multi-tool like the Nokia Morph (if it existed) would likely be more a hinderance than a help, as it would only be possible to do certain things at a time, which would rather defeat the object of it being multi-purpose, in that people would still require other 'tools' so they could do all those things together (if needbe)

Edited by TeeJay