When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Non-leather strap suggestions

DemonSlayer

I love my recently aquired 009 PVD and my 111h, however, Panerai is a type of watch that is probably best worn without a steel bracelet. Due to my personal beliefs, I won't wear a strap that was made from leather from a cow (or any other animal) that was killed for its meat, or a cow (or any other animal) killed for its hide (I'm not sure if that does happen). Therefore, I ask fellow members to please offer suggestions or help me source straps that are either not made from leather or any other skin, but are still decent straps nonetheless, or made from animal skin where the animal was not purposefully killed, but rather died from natural causes (I know that won't be easy to be certain of). Thank you to all for your suggestion/help.

Yes I own both the SS strap, and also a rubber strap. By far the most comfortable is wearing either the rubber strap or leather. Yes I have taken a look at some carbon fiber straps, but most of them have leather on the underside :(

Hey not to be rude or anything, but do you wear shoes?

Hey TooTall, :) no problem you are not being rude at all. Yes I do wear shoes, both sneakers and formal (when the occasion requires them). However its pretty hard to source leather-free decent trainers and shoes. I see straps as a luxury item rather than a necessesity, as others pointed out, I can wear the PAM on rubber or S/S, I have been doing some searching and found some carbon fiber straps with rubber backing. Also it is also possible to manufacture straps using materials that look and feel like leather, but are not.

Hey TooTall, :) no problem you are not being rude at all. Yes I do wear shoes, both sneakers and formal (when the occasion requires them). However its pretty hard to source leather-free decent trainers and shoes. I see straps as a luxury item rather than a necessesity, as others pointed out, I can wear the PAM on rubber or S/S, I have been doing some searching and found some carbon fiber straps with rubber backing. Also it is also possible to manufacture straps using materials that look and feel like leather, but are not.

So it's just leather in straps that you have a problem with? I am just not following the logic.

What if you did not know if the cow was killed for it's hide or meat? Would that suffice? I mean, I honestly don't know if the leather I use came from cows that were killed for their hides or meat.

I love my recently aquired 009 PVD and my 111h, however, Panerai is a type of watch that is probably best worn without a steel bracelet. Due to my personal beliefs,

Not every day you hear this kind of thing, Demon, especially in today's anti-religious climate, and therefore -- magnificent.

Strap King Dluddy gave you my suggestion too: the Kevlar strap. But I suggest getting it from Angus of Pure Time, for $95 shipped. Comes with this super duper buckle!

You can go to his section here, on RWG and check it out. It's a sticky.

PKS-24M-01.jpg

So it's just leather in straps that you have a problem with? I am just not following the logic.

What if you did not know if the cow was killed for it's hide or meat? Would that suffice? I mean, I honestly don't know if the leather I use came from cows that were killed for their hides or meat.

I believe (I may be wrong) that what DemonSlayer may have meant one of two things... Either:

1) It is difficult to source leather-free footwear (but not impossible) or,

2) Shoes are a rather essential item of clothing, so one could be forgiven for wearing them, as they are being worn out of necessity (protecting the feet) rather than wearing them out of personal desire to do so (as would be the case with a strap, which is not essential) essentialy, they would be worn through necessity rather than by choice. For example, a Muslim who is force-fed pork, would not be disobeying the command that flesh of swine is forbidden, where a Muslim who chose to eat pork, most definitely would be disobeying the command :D

Of course, I may be wrong, but that seemed to be (to me, at least) what DemonSlayer might have been meaning :)

TeeJay stated exactly what I meant. Shoes are an essential item of clothing, I'm not wearing them for luxury but rather a necessity for when I go out of my house :) A leather strap on the other hand is definitely a luxury item, as I have pointed and others, that there are alternatives available. Leather was used in the country my forefathers came from, but the cow wasnt slaughtered for its hide, instead it would be used when the cow died of natural causes. I personally don't believe killing a cow or any other animal for that matter is justified for its skin.

Not every day you hear this kind of thing, Demon, especially in today's anti-religious climate, and therefore -- magnificent.

Thanks Victoria. That strap does definitely look the business, and a cool buckle too :)

I believe (I may be wrong) that what DemonSlayer may have meant one of two things... Either:

1) It is difficult to source leather-free footwear (but not impossible) or,

2) Shoes are a rather essential item of clothing, so one could be forgiven for wearing them, as they are being worn out of necessity (protecting the feet) rather than wearing them out of personal desire to do so (as would be the case with a strap, which is not essential) essentialy, they would be worn through necessity rather than by choice. For example, a Muslim who is force-fed pork, would not be disobeying the command that flesh of swine is forbidden, where a Muslim who chose to eat pork, most definitely would be disobeying the command :D

Of course, I may be wrong, but that seemed to be (to me, at least) what DemonSlayer might have been meaning :)

Thats exactly what I was trying to say TeeJay, thanks. Also your first point is true for me, I didn't find it very easy to source leather-free footwear. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, and I know many vegans opt to wear them, but I find footwear is a necessity rather than a luxury.

How about one of these from Narikaa. wears great and looks the business

DSC00172.jpg

I think I will eventually get one of these :) However for my first strap I am definitely thinking of going with Kevlar or the Kevlar look.

Thanks to all for your help, its much appreciated.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say TeeJay, thanks. Also your first point is true for me, I didn't find it very easy to source leather-free footwear. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, and I know many vegans opt to wear them, but I find footwear is a necessity rather than a luxury.

Don't feel bad, Demon. Even Orthodox Jews are allowed to break Sabbath laws if it's a necessity. Religion is there to guide, not to stifle, as a rabbi once told me. :)

No Kevlar, eh? Tricky, tricky. I'm guessing the rubber diver strap is not to your taste either?

I would say go to Internationalwatchman's unusual hide section, and have a peak.

http://www.internationalwatchman.com/exotic.html

Strapcode/Taikonaut have cheapish straps, which seem like synthetics, so you're all right there.

http://www.strapcode.com/

Feature-TEP-215.jpg

Other options which are EU-based at that, are ABP and Camille Fournet.

http://www.abp-paris.com/watchbands_creati...rid=7&cid=1

http://www.camillefournet.com/

Exotics seem the way to go. You can ask for a special backing which is not leather-bound. :)

Thanks again! Oh Victoria, I meant I am DEFINITELY considering Kevlar as my first strap, and then I will think about other synthetics for other straps. I'll check these links out and see whats on offer :)

AFAIK, a lot of kevlar straps still have a leather backing.

TeeJay stated exactly what I meant. Shoes are an essential item of clothing, I'm not wearing them for luxury but rather a necessity for when I go out of my house :) A leather strap on the other hand is definitely a luxury item, as I have pointed and others, that there are alternatives available. Leather was used in the country my forefathers came from, but the cow wasnt slaughtered for its hide, instead it would be used when the cow died of natural causes. I personally don't believe killing a cow or any other animal for that matter is justified for its skin.

No problem, I figured it'd likely be one of those options, afterall, most religions allow for people to break commandments if it's a necessity, or if such a breach is forced upon the person by others (ie someone ramming pork down a Jew/Muslim's throat :lol: ) Afterall, Allah's intention is not to make life difficult for us :) Testing, maybe, but not difficult :) As the Qur'an says:

The Cow

[2.185] The month of Ramadan is that in which the Quran was revealed, a guidance to men and clear proofs of the guidance and the distinction; therefore whoever of you is present in the month, he shall fast therein, and whoever is sick or upon a journey, then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days; Allah desires ease for you, and He does not desire for you difficulty, and (He desires) that you should complete the number and that you should exalt the greatness of Allah for His having guided you and that you may give thanks.

The Divorce

[65.7] Let him who has abundance spend out of his abundance and whoever has his means of subsistence straitened to him, let him spend out of that which Allah has given him; Allah does not lay on any soul a burden except to the extent to which He has granted it; Allah brings about ease after difficulty.

As an asside, I just found this website, and thought it might be of interest/help to you :)

www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk

Edited by TeeJay