When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watch do consultants wear?

paneristi_man

TJ.....I didn't know! Those are amazing work! Hat's off to you! WOW!

Thanks, amigo :)

Wow! Nice work! I see you are a Hokusai fan!

Thanks, and indeed I am :) I've been a fan of his work since I first saw the 'Wave of the Future' poster in the John Hughes movie, Wierd Science, and researched the image. I had planned to have the reversed Hokusai wave as part of my 'water sleeve' (The plan for the suit was right half, water, left half wind) as it would have fitted in better with my existing design. The only reason I decided against the bodysuit in the end, was that I tried on some costume 'sleeves', and didn't like how my arms looked fully sleeved, so I decided against it. :)

Tata (to name one) is old news... Indonesia seems to be the new hype (next to booming South Africa)... Screw these

IS Lite and blended models. Been in SAP consultancy for over 10 years now, never been out of a job for more then a day... Try explaining your consolidation or strategy management process to an offshore consultant and you'll find out why.

I am with you on that. I am also against IT outsourcing strategy for anything that is not puerly commodity or simple and repetitive.

To me this is what we calling "ValueShore" or

Make a statement, if you are in the art industry. Nothing speaks of the arts like this watch!

Everyone I've met in art/design that's wearing an expensive watch is wearing a Panerai. I recently discussed a Panerai with one of our designers. It was an automatic, but it still looked nice.

I'm in Finance/banking and I've always either worn my Omega SMP or, currently, my Omega Planet Ocean. Both gens. I've found that the majority of the jr. guys wear "off the rack" (if you will) or wear Tag's often. The mid to sr. guys wear lots of different Rollies. Personally, I've always felts that my Omegas split the middle and have never felt over dressed nor underdressed, which I think is a positive.

• 2 years later...

You just joined right ???

Never being a consultant before, right ???

Listen to me.

IT consultants from JR to Sr Consultant should wear:

- Smart watches

- Less than 1000 USD price of the real equivalent

- No bling or fancy watches

- no quartz watches

IT consultants from Mgr to Principal / Director and Partner level should wear:

- Smart watches

- Not Less than 2500 USD price of the real equivalent

- No bling or fancy watches

- no quartz watches

Antything else will either look fake (very bad if you are a consultant) or too expensive .... and therefore would tightdly linked and related to the seniority and expertise of the person.

If and when I see an IT Consultant (jr to sr level) with a 5000 USD PAM or equivalent I can only think these:

-Daddys rich boy (his/her salary cannot pay that watch)

-Fake watch (bad start)

-These guys they charge extremely high tarrifes and they add no value (due to less seniority). (better look somewhere else for IT advise).

On the above you have to add the environment too.

Is not the same working for Acc or ATK or EDS or ATOS or IBM Services. etc.... each one is diferrent.

Wise words from a wise man. Though few people may comment, everyone who catches a glimpse makes an immediate assumption and as a consultant it's within your best interests to make, not necessarily a good first impression, but a correct one.

Wow, just noticed this is a two year old thread. Oh well, timeless advice nevertheless.

Edited by subbiesrock

I have worked as a consultant (IT) at HP, Accenture, T-Systems and IBM - no one cares what watch you wear or even notices, unless they are another watch lover. A Sekonda chrono will look a lot like a Breitling Navitimer to most people and they only care about your billable deliverables.

I'm an IT consultant, too and I have been asked about one of my watches only once (my PAM... just because it's big, I guess...). I mostly wear my PAM and my SMP at work, no Rolex and no too expensive looking watch.

But the main point is: No one notices anyway. Wear what you like!

It’s ridiculous to say someone can’t afford a cretin watch… unless we are talking about a house payment. I could go out tomorrow and bring a gen DSSD home, and so could Tom retard working at McDonalds. All it takes is an extra $175 (roughly), ok credit, and the willingness to commit to the payments. If I didn’t have a wife and 4 kids, I would have 5 new $5000 gen’s a year. Prioritys! That’s all.

I was a Cisco Data and voice engineer before I fell ill (and a body piercer, but people tend to be WAY to preoccupied by the needle rather what you're wearing on your wrist, or on your body for that matter! That wee needle garners a lot of respect!! lol) Me and the other guys I worked with were all contractors/freelance consultants. One of the guys wore a coke GMT and drove a Porsche boxster, another guy wore and old casio and drove an old clapped out van but the kid was a genius and could wear and drive what he liked in my book!!

Mainly no one knew much about watches other than me and Porsche boy, even going up to senior management level I think the best I seen was a PAM 112. Most were Armani, gucci crap like that. Stuff people think are real classy and cool until they realise that it costs buttons to make and is no better, if not worse, than a good Casio or Seiko!!

Sixx :bones:

The management, financial and IT consultants I have dealt with have worn primarily Tag, Cartier and one wore a Rolex Cellini.

Of our executives, several are watch afficionados and most wear standard Rolex fare, with one Ulysse Nardin, one PAM and one Chopard Mille

i may not be a consultant, but as a C-level executive, i now go for my gen dial IWC Spitfire Laureus on important engagements and/or Board meetings...young enough in age still, but mature in interactions, successful, yet sporty...can't miss with the classy, sports chrono look, blue to be different, brushed and polished mix case/bracelet...sophisticated...the double ar crystal and the blue dial warrant looks - but no one has ever commented...and very few in my circle know IWC well enough should they be that close to make the brand out...

I'm a M&A consultant and get to work with other consulitants in other fields (finance, accounting, legal etc).

IT really depends on the field that you work in and country. FM, IWC, Rolex & Panerai are most common. For airline industry, Bretling & Rolex GMT seem to be the norm. I occassionally see Omega in IT field. Bankers love Panerai and Rolex.