When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

China and animals

Dani

The idea is that dogs are highly intellegent animals that have stood by man for thousands of years side by side. Dogs are treated like men when they are killed in battle or law enforcement. But we say its perfectly OK to torture and kill them for food? Its NOT ok.......dogs are an accepted food source in these third world nations BUT its N O T ok.

I am no cat lover and the killing of cats is not nearly as wide spread as that of dogs. I was told while I traveled through China that cat meat tasted sour. Dog meat was "sweet".

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have dogs, cats and love them like members of our family. I could never condone killing them for food as they are intelligent, beautiful creatures. With that said; I understand that pigs are even more intelligent... Yet I have no problem eating bacon, pork roasts, ribs, etc. It is a cultural thing - one might argue against animal testing of drugs and medical procedures - yet if this testing could help save a loved one; I'm sure most of us would put our families first...

That's really informative, thanks for the article :)

No problem bro! :)

The idea is that dogs are highly intellegent animals that have stood by man for thousands of years side by side. Dogs are treated like men when they are killed in battle or law enforcement. But we say its perfectly OK to torture and kill them for food? Its NOT ok.......dogs are an accepted food source in these third world nations BUT its N O T ok.

I am no cat lover and the killing of cats is not nearly as wide spread as that of dogs. I was told while I traveled through China that cat meat tasted sour. Dog meat was "sweet".

I am against killing any animals for food, whether its dogs, cats, cows, chickens or deer or any other animal. I appreciate the contribution by dogs in law enforcement, military and others. Cows are milked until they can't give any more and they are then slaughtered. Milk is a contribution to as well is it not, its an important food source.

Horses even more so, but they're legal meat in parts of Europe.

I mean talk about animal intelligence and look at tuna farming. We're killing dolphins there, and the Japanese are still killing whales for meat with no thought for cruelty.

Even Mike Huckabee fries squirrel in a popcorn popper, and he's in gubmint.

The only meat universally banned is long pig. Anything else is going to get cruelly killed somewhere in the world.

Cows are milked until they can't give any more and they are then slaughtered. Milk is a contribution to as well is it not, its an important food source.

Cows are and have been for many centuries used as a food source. Whether its milk or its own flesh thats what cows are bred for....food. You wont ever see a cow fighting in a war, trained for law enforsement or used as eyes for the blind. Dogs have been bred for helpful activities to aide man NOT as a food source. This is because of their incredible intelegence and physical abilities.

A bit different. Horses have been used for transportation and also a food source. They are not at the level of dogs in terms of there ability to perform tasks that only a human can complete.

With that said; I understand that pigs are even more intelligent... Yet I have no problem eating bacon, pork roasts, ribs, etc. It is a cultural thing

Never saw a seeing eye pig nor one trained to stalk criminals, find lost children or fight in military battle. Pigs have always been bred to be used as a food source. I agree of course that it boils down to culture and economics but that does not make it right to torture and kill and eat an animal that has a level of intelegence that allows it to learn activities that only a human can provide.

Cows are milked until they can't give any more and they are then slaughtered. Milk is a contribution to as well is it not, its an important food source.

Cows are and have been for many centuries used as a food source. Whether its milk or its own flesh thats what cows are bred for....food. You wont ever see a cow fighting in a war, trained for law enforsement or used as eyes for the blind. Dogs have been bred for helpful activities to aide man NOT as a food source. This is because of their incredible intelegence and physical abilities.

A bit different. Horses have been used for transportation and also a food source. They are not at the level of dogs in terms of there ability to perform tasks that only a human can complete.

With that said; I understand that pigs are even more intelligent... Yet I have no problem eating bacon, pork roasts, ribs, etc. It is a cultural thing

Never saw a seeing eye pig nor one trained to stalk criminals, find lost children or fight in military battle. Pigs have always been bred to be used as a food source. I agree of course that it boils down to culture and economics but that does not make it right to torture and kill and eat an animal that has a level of intelegence that allows it to learn activities that only a human can provide.

Not all dogs are suited for those activities however, only the ones that were bred and trained for these purposes specifically. And what to say about cats?

Never underestimate the importance of "cuteness".

It seems an universal truism that whatever is considered beautiful gets an easier time of life -- else the Chinese would eat their canaries.

Another disgustingly gruesome delicacy in China is monkey brains:

01_table.jpg

04_brains.jpg05_eat.jpg

Monkey stew (notice the eyes in the soup :yuk:)

06_soup.jpg

A gourmet can buy monkeys in the markets and send them to the inns for cooking. The cooks first force the monkeys in the cage to drink rice wine to make them drunk, then pull them out from the cage and bind their limbs ( to prevent them from awakening), then they chop open their skulls with a sharp knife, and then scoop out the white brains, the blood vessels still pulsing, easily visible. They serve the brain as soon as possible, and dig the brains out when they are still warm, eating them with some seasonings, such as pickled ginger, chili pepper, fried peanuts, cilantro and so on. The gourmet chews and swallows the brains and feels great, while the monkey kicks the bucket still drunk!

The taste is like water tofu

One gourmet said that the taste of monkey brain is not terribly special, perhaps like water tofu, and that pickled ginger and chili are used to add more flavor. Moreover, he added that the monkey brains become pungent if they are not fresh (for example if the skull was opened too long ago), thus it is best to open the skull and eat at once, while the brain cells are not dead and the blood vessels are still pulsing.

Another gourmet was eating monkeys while drinking wine. He said that eating them this way can kill any germs and bacteria. The local residents also love to eat live fish, which they also consume this way.

The cook at the inn said that the traditional way to eat monkey brains was to seal its mouth and tie it tightly under a special table, with a hole in the center, so that only the monkey's head peaked above. Then the monkey's hair was shaved, the skull was cut open, and the brains were eaten while it was still alive. Sometimes the monkey's mouth was not sealed tightly enough, resulting in miserable screams or moans from under the table.

This method is too cruel by current standards however, and has thus been changed: the monkeys are inebriated and the brains are eaten after they lose consciousness.

if death is natural,and everything that has ever lived has died,and humans are natural hunters,why do we still have fear and anger over anything dying?just a question. ;)

Its not that life forms dies that was the subject of this tread, i think 99% of people that post in this tread has missed the point totaly.

ITS THE WAY THIS DOGS GOT KILLLLLLLED HAVE MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SAY THIS 10000 TIMES? :rolleyes:

Its not that life forms dies that was the subject of this tread, i think 99% of people that post in this tread has missed the point totaly.

ITS THE WAY THIS DOGS GOT KILLLLLLLED HAVE MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SAY THIS 10000 TIMES? :rolleyes:

Once again, no we haven't.

Everything below us on the food chain will be brutally killed at some point. You've just picked on dogs because you like them. Where were you when seal-clubbing came to the fore? Where are you on the whaling issues?

If you stopped just picking on dogs for your attention, you'd have a hell of a lot more credibility.

wow. look at how far we've become.

To sum it up for anyone who won't bother reading the last 12 pages of posts:

Dani was bringing up the subject of the way Dogs are killed in China and we should do something about it. Then his words may have been lost in translation because somewhere along the line we thought he meant that the Chinese are savages for eating the meat, not the way they are killed. Dani comes back to say that again, it's the KILLING OF DOGS, or slaughter method, is inhumane.

Then we see some other posts about various slaughter methods and the occasional "is that not humane as well?". And then TeeJay and Pugwash throw down a dabate as to whether or not the Halal/Kosher method of slaughter is humane/barbaric and the occasional "oh yeah? prove it!". We then see Jnagy throw in the slaughter methods of wildlife/hunting and the fish.

Again, Dani jumps in to remind us that the topic is about Dogs.

Everyone ignores him and then it gets to religion and evolution and each individual's altruistic beliefs when TT says:

"more ranting about Religion and Politics and then I'll have to close the topic."

We wake up and once, again we are talking about what is being put to slaughter.

Narikaa then puts a disgusting (obviously fake) picture of a man eating a human fetus.

Dani reminds us once again, that the topic was about the way the DOGS are KILLED.

Pugwash then tells him that his credibility is shot because there is a much bigger picture here.

And to add this for Victoria:

"Victoria questions Pugwash if he considers that only extremists have the most logical motives."

Is this going to end up in the looney bin? Or will extremeists chime in?

If you stopped just picking on dogs for your attention, you'd have a hell of a lot more credibility.

I agree that at heart Dani's stance is contradictory. But the fact is Dani is especially touched by dogs, and doesn't want to see them killed cruelly.

So since when has it ever been wrong to be against something, if you're not against EVERYTHING?

John Brown was an abolitionist but he was against giving suffrage to women. That doesn't mean his stance against slavery was inherently flawed because he didn't want women voting. It just means his heart was most affected by slavery, giving his life toward that cause.

Or in other words, to add to Anton's narrative of the thread:

"Victoria questions Pugwash if he considers that only extremists have the most logical motives."

@Anton: Thanks! :p I daresay the thread will only be closed if the Mods so determine, based on flouting of rules about religion, politics, rudeness, etc. So far, it's been a good thread to those most active in it. IMHO.

Narikaa then puts a disgusting (obviously fake) picture of a man eating a human fetus.

Famously unproven. The artist Zhu Yu claims it was a foetus from a medical school but observers claim it's a doll's head stuck to a duck.

I agree that at heart Dani's stance is contradictory. But the fact is Dani is especially touched by dogs, and doesn't want to see them killed cruelly.

So since when has it ever been wrong to be against something, if you're not against EVERYTHING?

John Brown was an abolitionist but he was against giving suffrage to women. That doesn't mean his stance against slavery was inherently flawed because he didn't want women voting. It just means his heart was most affected by slavery, giving his life toward that cause.

this shows you how flawed the majority of people's thinking is.people only care when the issue concerns them.that is selfishness.

Once again, no we haven't.

Everything below us on the food chain will be brutally killed at some point. You've just picked on dogs because you like them. Where were you when seal-clubbing came to the fore? Where are you on the whaling issues?

You are so wrong i have talked about other animals as well.

As said before the way this dogs get killed that is awfull not that they are dogs.

If a pig got killed this way i woud be just as mad about it, but topic is about dogs a creature that is nown for being a human friend and companion.

You are the one that have missed the point.

dani,you missed the point.THERE IS NO HUMANE WAY OF DEPRIVING SOMETHING OF IT'S LIFE!

So for you to torture it before eating is just ok?

Just to put things into perspective. In the next 120 years over 6 billion humans will die.

So?

Its have we are we get born and we die 2 certain things in life.

Not only dogs but dogs was in the clip and reason to start this tread.

I also show in this tread halal slaughter of sheeps that i also feel is awfull.

this shows you how flawed the majority of people's thinking is.people only care when the issue concerns them.that is selfishness.

I dont only think of dogs wow you guys have realy got stuck on the dog issue its not that dogs get slaugher for meat its have they get slaughter that is my point in this tread..If a dog get slaugher in a normal way whitout torture then i cant say much against it but when its savagely killed i speak up against it.

Cheers

You are the one that have missed the point.

Oh the irony. :lol:

So for you to torture it before eating is just ok?

There is a huge difference between killing something and torturing it.

I also show in this tread halal slaughter of sheeps that i also feel is awfull.

And you're perfectly entitled to that opinion. Others do not have to share it. Also, the proof is there, that the halal slaughter is more humane than killing with a bolt.

At the end of the day, if animals are to be eaten, they must be killed somehow, and, in as humane manner as possible.

The most humane manner, being not eating animals at all, and living as a vegetarian. Yet you are not arguing that people should be vegetarians. I agree, animals should not be abused or mistreated, but, given that you object to the methods detailed thus far, what is your solution? What method do you propose slaughterhouses use to despatch animals as humanely as possible?

I think it has been implied that a humane way of killing them is letting them die by natural causes.

But then how would the meat be?

Not in my supermarket, I'll tell you that.

This is just threadcr*pping! No negative responses to my post!