When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sunglasses

ttony0992

I always took sunglasses very seriously because this is one thing there you dont wont to get cheap glass and kill your eyes

Summer is coming and want to get something new, but remembering last year it's a pain in the a$$

First of all because there is such variety of them and the kiosks are on every corner of the mall so really you never too sure which ones are real and which ones are not unless you go straight to AD or high end shops like Harry Rosen or Holt Renfrew (in Canada) but apparently in last years newspapers i read that those shops were check for counterfeit products (fake gucci bags and such) and to everybody's "surprise" every single department had at least one product, sunglasses being one of the most replicated. Of course everybody sad that they didn't knew about this and were let go, so i don't think QC really improved.

Anyone know's how to spot a fake sunglasses? any tips?

The common fake sunglasses are really easy to spot, simply from the workmanship. Much like watches and bags, there are new, high-quality Chinese fake sunglasses starting to become available. The only way to spot these is a side-by-side comparison with the exact model of genuine shades.

I'm sure some lurker is reading this, and laughing at us. Haha, they buy fake watches but don't want their widdle eyes to suffer.

Well, actually, that's true for me. I hate fakey sunglasses (and bags). Doc said it right -- workmanship is the key. I found this rough guide online:

"SUNGLASSES:

** Logos: Check the logos on those iffy sunglasses to see what material they're made of, whether they're straight or crooked, or even misspelled.

** Packaging: As with handbags, fake sunglasses don't usually come with any packaging, though sometimes they'll be in a clear plastic bag.

** Hinges: Check the hinges for bounce, look to see if they've been painted over, or the ear pieces are mounted straight.

While you may be after the real deal for your own adornment, fakes can serve their purpose...".

I suggest you go to Fashionista forums, like The Purse Blog or The Bag Forum, and post an off-topic thread about this, Turby.

And then you'll know just how scary it is to enter a forum, surrounded by one sex, all leering and slobbering at you from their monitors.

:p

I recently spend $600 for a pair of Mont Blanc sunglasses and the craftsmanship and quality of them is unlike anything I have every touched in this line of product. They are so solidly constructed and everything is right where it should be, nothing flopping about and no squeaking or cracking its just precision precision precision. That is key. China can't do precision - not by a long shot.

As long as the lenses are plastic they will not let any UV light through, that is just the nature of plexiglas. For all you watch guys: that is also the reason why UV glue will not work with plastic crystals - the UV light to harden the glue does not go through the crystal.

I recently spend $600 for a pair of Mont Blanc sunglasses and the craftsmanship and quality of them is unlike anything I have every touched in this line of product. They are so solidly constructed and everything is right where it should be, nothing flopping about and no squeaking or cracking its just precision precision precision.

Obviously you've never handled a pair of Oakley Juliets. That is engineering taken to a stupid level. It's probably the most over engineered piece of eyewear ever created. They ever feature teflon coated washers to eliminate the need for lubricated hinges and are made from a custom Titanium alloy called 'x-metal'.

I love 'em and own over a dozen pairs.

Obviously you've never handled a pair of Oakley Juliets. That is engineering taken to a stupid level. It's probably the most over engineered piece of eyewear ever created. They ever feature teflon coated washers to eliminate the need for lubricated hinges and are made from a custom Titanium alloy called 'x-metal'.

I love 'em and own over a dozen pairs.

hehe just checked their website and the price for a pair is $420 x dozen = $5k )))

I don't know about all the above posts but based on my last summer experience i think there is much more "close to perfect" fakes then you guys think. The biggest problem i encounter was with aviator style sunglasses as i think they are pretty simple to copy because of their shape and in most cases simple metal frame, but fake or not they can easily be sold for $350

As long as the lenses are plastic they will not let any UV light through, that is just the nature of plexiglas. For all you watch guys: that is also the reason why UV glue will not work with plastic crystals - the UV light to harden the glue does not go through the crystal.

Not all plastic-lensed sunglasses block UV as efficiently. CR-39 and Polycarbonate have better UV-blocking capability than Acylic and Glass.

hehe just checked their website and the price for a pair is $420 x dozen = $5k )))

I don't know about all the above posts but based on my last summer experience i think there is much more "close to perfect" fakes then you guys think. The biggest problem i encounter was with aviator style sunglasses as i think they are pretty simple to copy because of their shape and in most cases simple metal frame, but fake or not they can easily be sold for $350

Yup :D

I went a bit nuts a while back after X-Men 2 came out (The Cyclops sunglasses are based on Oakley Juliets/Penny). At one point I had every frame and lense combo (I forget exactly how many, but it was around 25+) but I had to slim down the collection.

They are incredible sunglasses and what's more incredible is the way they are made and where they are made (it's a bunker in the Nevada desert called 'Hades'). Each mould is zapped with millions of volts of electricity at temperatures close to nuclear levels. It gives me a hard-on thinking about it......

I just got a pair of the "high end" fake Chanels for my girl, they feel rather substantial and well made. I would say they are on a par with her genuine D&Gs or Pradas, but I'm sure if I had the same model Chanels to compare with I could find the flaws. They came with the retail box, papers, hard case, Chanel cloth, looked real enough to me.

I didn't buy any fakes for myself--not because I am so concerned with my corneas but because I am really picky about the fit of my shades. I've spent up to $350 for a pair of designer sunglasses, but I've had so many pairs lost, stolen, or broken that I probably wouldn't spend more than $100 anymore.

I'm going to raise a bit of ire here, but if you are wearing Oakleys (any style) with something more formal than boardshorts--ouch. Nothing classic about those things.

Don't wear fake sunglasses...you could harm your eyes. You never know what you're going to get.

OAKLEY HALF WIRE

- Somewhat hard to find these days (regular size). I think they are discontinued. But, there are a lot of the XL frames out there.

I have 2 pair of these in the regular size. Blue/Black Iridium - looks sharp with a suit. And Silver Iridium with sport wear.

oakley-half-wire.jpg

OAKLEY HALF WIRE

- Somewhat hard to find these days (regular size). I think they are discontinued. But, there are a lot of the XL frames out there.

I have 2 pair of these in the regular size. Blue/Black Iridium - looks sharp with a suit.

oakley-half-wire.jpg

I hope you mean a swim suit, or maybe the Batsuit!

They make watches too, they're just as klassy:

oakley_judge2-thumb.jpg6314.jpg6310.jpg

My uncle is an optomitrist and has his own private practice which sells almost all of the higher end glasses and sunglasses. For my prescription glasses I used to have Flexon's mainly because they were practicly indestructable, recently I switched to Oakley frames as their prescription line is alot less excentric than their sunglasses. Also I am not nearly as hard on glasses as I used to be. These are the ones I have now http://oakley.com/pd/3152/9606 Spoke 4.0's in polished brown, I like them so much I was considering getting my uncle to make me a set of them in prescription sunglasses.

For sunglasses I usually get a new pair or two each year. I went through almost every pair of Oakley's made when I was younger, but as others have mentioned they are kind of age classed and wearing them with a shirt and tie does not look all that great to me atleast. I got a Pair of titanium Maui Jim Wailea's a few years back and no matter what other sunglasses I get I always find myself going back to them. They are very comfortable and lightweight, being sort of Flexon and lightweight you can do almost anything and they will not move. If I had one negative to say it would be that they don't have hinges which makes it a pain sometimes when you have to take them off to go indoors. I have a pair of Black Chrome Kaenon Basis's on order that from what I could tell handeling them are top notch. Very tight, great finish, everything looked even and nothing felt loose or cheap.

As for how to spot a fake, build quality plays a big part. I have seen some pretty good Oakley knock offs but once you hold them and look over the finishing and fit of everything you can start to tell them apart. Fortunatley I just go to my uncle for all of my glasses but I would suggest buying from a reputable retailer if you can't tell the difference and don't want to get ripped off at a kiosk. Another way to go would be to stay away from all the top knock offs. You know the brands that they make fakes of so just stay away from thoes.