When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

0581 Fiddy Warning

thomasng

I meant to post this 2 days ago, but I'll do it now.

I want to warn everyone with the 0581 cased Fiddy.........

The front crystal definitely is NOT sapphire. How do I know?

On Saturday night, I was in Leicester Square when some idiot who wasn't watching where he was going bumped into me. I was shocked to discover the crystal had a few deep scratches already. I don't think this should happen to sapphire, as sapphire should even be able to withstand being scraped against the pavement.

I feel sort of cheated now, what should I do? :thumbdown:

Sorry to hear that mate.

But fyi contrary to popular beliefs, sapphire do scratches when knocked against hard sharp object (i.e. bricks wall or stone). There are some posts about gen PAM scratched crystals on the gen PAM forum.

Anyway, hope you can find a good crystal replacement for it.

My suspicions and info was correct... These are definately NOT sapphire. First the failed the waterdrop test, then the sapphire against the cheek test, and now the ultimate test.

Just about the only thing that will scratch a sapphire is diamond.

This is EITHER false advertising or a blatant blunder from the manufacturer... whichever it is, WE are the ones getting screwed. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I think an explanation is in order :angry:

seems that there is a biiiig problem....but i do belive that if it was bought from our trusted dealers that they've been cheated from the factories...i would hardly belive that our trusted dealers sell something that isn't what is supposed to be...and to ruin their imagine with selling 10-100 pieces of the fiddy...and risking to be classified as scammers...

let's give them time to explain us the situation...

Didn't we have this discussion last week? As far as I remember Josh explained the issue of where 117 and 581 are coming from, and that only the supplier of 117 can produce sapphire crystals

And then someone else with a 117 case said his crystal was mineral and not sapphire... so who is telling the truth?

And what stops a dealer saying this and sticking a 117 back on the watch? :o

I bought one of those diamond testers off ebay and they work great for telling sapphire from mineral. It turns out a few of the watches I was told were sapphire were not but davidsenjpn's replacement sapphire crystal for the fiddy is sapphire as he claims.

How much does it cost? How does it work ?

Mine scratched the first day. My gen GMT2 has not a scratch one on it. Id like to see an acrylic crystal on the 1950 It is an old enough looking watch to wear one well. My 1962 production Tudor Sub has one and it looks so much warmer than the clinically clean GMT2