When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken WM9 Sub 16610

w.genzo

@kevin:

noob clasp is really poor, while WM9 clasp is great. So if you want to use the noobmariner bracelet just use WM9 clasp.

If you don't mind to have solid mid links you can keep the whole WM9 bracelet. I'm not sure noob bracelet could fit.

Clark hands are really luminous, it's not necessary to replace the hands here, but I had a spare set, so.. 10$ more is not a big deal :)

Date mag on rep is usually too strong, and sometimes it is misaligned. WM9 crystal is good, except for the etched crown too big.

@chieftang: yeah, not so original another 16610 :D

Clark told me he's gonna sourcing also LV hands soon.

@edwin: My watchmaker sometimes has some spare genuine parts.

Ebay has it listed, at a crazy price.

Can anyone comments on the WM9 crown position. I remember that one of the items that has always setback the prior Sub reps was that the crown had to be set lower on the case to create the right rehaut depth when using the 2836. How is it that this rep can overcome that problem?

Sorry if this has been discussed before - but I have searched the other wm9 threads and they are mostly before we had confirmation that this watch really exists and is different from the other ones out there.

Cskent,

You centered the only bud thing of this 16610 ( like all rep on the market now with 2836)

The crown is one bit low positioned versus GeN.

Rumors seed, that Wm9 is preparing one 2892 ver. with correct crown position.

But we have to wait for 6 mouth............

Cskent,

You centered the only bud thing of this 16610 ( like all rep on the market now with 2836)

The crown is one bit low positioned versus GeN.

Rumors seed, that Wm9 is preparing one 2892 ver. with correct crown position.

But we have to wait for 6 mouth............

Correct, only a thinner mov like 2892 or a st18 could fix the problem.

Crown is a bit too low.

Thanks for the answers guys. From the looks of the case on the WM9 website - the stem hole did look like it was in the right place - but i guess it is really hard to tell until it is in your hands. In previous versions - the hole was so low - the case was not thick enough to use a genuine crown and tube.

But - i really like this watch. I am not sure if I can hold out for 6 months to potentially get one with a thinner movement. I wish they had started with the ST18 from the get go.

Well - thats what makes this the never ending hobby!

• 1 month later...

I hope I'm not raising an (almost) dead thread, the last post went up in late March.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've received my WM9, and I'll admit the first thing I thought when comparing it to my MBW was that the rehaut was too short. Although when I checked w.genzo's pics, the watch I recieved has what appears to be an identical rehaut.

Other than that, it looks fantastic. I would say that the bracelet is better than the noob, in that the sel's appear machined, and sharp as gen. Fitment of the sel into the case also appears better.

I've been lucky enough to source a gen bezel and insert, crown and tube, crystal, and dial, so I'm hoping this project will come out well.

MBW and TW cases have too deep rehaut, and the crystal doesn't merge as nicely.

I haven't seen the WM9 in person but I'd say the depth is just about right. A bit taller than Noob but shorter than MBW. Right w.genzo?

That's a very very nice result, but what am I missing looking at the WM9 case? It looks a lot like a modded MBW or TW best case.,,,but there must be a reason that you guys are using $600 rep for the movement and the case, which still needs to be modded. Is it just the rehaut? The metal?

I remember thinking that if WM9 had executed his original plan to use the asian 2892 and get the crown position/rehaut right, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but these have 2836, right?

For my in-progress LV project I'm almost tempted to start looking for an OEM case---Even if it's a lot more expensive than the WM9 (The last sale I could find using google was a service case, whatever that is, for $998) you can use an asian 2892 and have a true franken for $400 more.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Im very glad to have been able to provide the bracelet for this incredible project!

On a side note, I will be selling my 16610 to a coworker on Friday. I have once again worked a deal in which I will be keeping the gen bracelet.

SO, as I currently find myself without a modern Rolex... There may be another $500 gen bracelet on the market!!!

Yes BT, the MBW rehaut is deeper than gen, BK said 0.1mm deeper, you can notice it also from the stronger data mag effect.

Actually what bother me most of the MBW/TW is the conical rehaut.

Not like old CN sub, but still wokky. Noob is correct in this way, but too shallow.

The difference that can justify a 500$ rep is the 1:1 gen case construction, same gen bezel assembly, crown and tube OEM specifics, so a perfect base for modding.

At the beginning I was looking for a OEM case too, but 1400$ is definetely not worth for a modern Sub.

@JoJo35: all the gen parts fit without any mods but the bezel, that needs a little bit of case reworking (my watchmaker did it)

Gen bezel fits the case, but too tightly and wouldn't turn. A little bit of sanding (of the case) made it work correctly.

The date-mag is not contingent on the rehaut. From four different factory watches you have also different cyclops!

IMO the WM9 rehaut is not deep enough. The old MBW modern case with holes in the lugs has the best rehaut. Like I said, that's in my opinion.

But the WM9 is still one of the best out there... ;)

I don't think the depth is just as big factor as how the rehaut and crystal merge with eachother. It's very easy to spot the rep from the angled view. On the gen and WM9 it simply "looks" correct. Can't really explain it.

Noob factory watches have this area almost spot on, but the rehaut and crystal edge is often too "matte". It looks better on my TT Sub 16613 though. This goes to ultimate geekdom again, but I can always spot the reps from the angled view. WM9 is the only 16610 rep that looks like gen in this regard.

I had the old TW model (which I believe used the same case as the old MBW) and while it was deep as a fishtank, from this angle it simply looks...well... rep. Look at the 2 small bevels just below the crystal, I'm talking about that area. Tribals idea of polishing the rehaut is very good though... and I think it could improve the appearance.

2.jpg

I'm not actually very big fan of the 16610, but I always enjoy discussing the watch with fellow geeks. :D

• 2 weeks later...
IMO the WM9 rehaut is not deep enough. The old MBW modern case with holes in the lugs has the best rehaut. Like I said, that's in my opinion.

But the WM9 is still one of the best out there... ;)

MBW on the right, WM9 on the left.

IMGP1162.jpg

MBW on the bottom, WM9 on the top.

IMGP1170.jpg

A bit off topic, but I have a chance to pick up abn older WM9 1665 case.....Does anyone have any opinions on that case?

agree, definitely not worth..

Old WM9 models were the standard CN/TW reps, MWB or Phong cases are far better