When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex QC flawless?

By-Tor

Possibly an aftermarket crystal?

I'll never forget one person on TZ whining that the hands weren't lining up 100% with the indices 100% of the time. He got laughed at quite a lot... At the very least, that was an example of two things; 1) Even gen QC is not flawless, and 2) Some people just have unreasonably high expectations. I wonder what the person would have done if they'd received a Canal St POS... Probably would've been found twitching and rocking on the floor of their domicile, muttering to themselves about 'the hands' :lol:

Here's another example of a badly aligned datefont in a gen Rolex. Clearly offcenter. This is from Blowers Jewellers who would never, ever sell a frankenwatch. They're the biggest online preowned Rolex seller in the EU.

27_rolesium_rolex_yachtmaster_c.JPG

@iceberg: QC = quality control

@Steph: Yeah, funny those little details that we obsess on the reps... turns out the gens have similar issues. I remember when I was writing the Aquaracer chrono review and searched for gen reference pics. Almost all the gen pics I found had worse day/datewheel alignment than the rep. And people say that the rep 7750 day/date is notorious for its bad alignment... well it looks good to me. :D

@iceberg: QC = quality control

@Steph: Yeah, funny those little details that we obsess on the reps... turns out the gens have similar issues. I remember when I was writing the Aquaracer chrono review and searched for gen reference pics. Almost all the gen pics I found had worse day/datewheel alignment than the rep. And people say that the rep 7750 day/date is notorious for its bad alignment... well it looks good to me. :D

Exactly!

RepAustria often says he saw so many flaws on genuine watches :lol:

There are also so many variations for a same model thru the years!

Our reps ARE GOOD :D

One thing that varies is the date magnification as well. Usually the datemags on the gens are smaller than people think.

Only the old 1680 models have huge datemags. The "big datemag" is another ugly myth that goes on, no matter how many times it get straightened out. And for some reason GMT II and Explorer II have slightly weaker mags than Sub 16610.

Yacht-Master date font varies too... it comes with both thicker and thinner fonts... not to even mention all those different dial variations.

Far from flawless if one reads TZ. I've seen comments ranging from mis-aligned date wheels, dust on dials and time keeping inaccuracy more often that one would expect given the prices rlx is charging for these watches, specially after the recent whopping price increases. I do think that most folks that buy these watches, the exception being us watch nerds :lol:, have little clue about the small details.

Added: WOW, that case has been polished to death and I doubt it was done by RSC. :o

There is one sport model that rlx seems to get consistently correct probably due to its simplicity. It also happens to be my fave.

Amazing what one can build from an Alpha case. :p

101019711111js6.jpg

This thread is a must-read for all newbies with obscene expectations for their reps. I am feeling so good about my slightly crooked date mag now!

I bet there are even gen pateks that slip through the cracks and have some kind of issue...

This thread is a must-read for all newbies with obscene expectations for their reps. I am feeling so good about my slightly crooked date mag now!

I bet there are even gen pateks that slip through the cracks and have some kind of issue...

Yes! I have read about two cases where that has happened; one where the winding mechanism locked up on one owner, another where the rotor was not attached tightly enough.

Then again, that is less than .1% of cases.

Well, at the obscene prices Patek charge, it better be less than .1% of the cases :p

Sad part is that I have read a few not so complimentary comments on the newer Patek movements. They are beautifully finished but they seem to be temperamental. Perhaps they should have stuck with the JLC movements they used many moons ago.

Oh, forgot to mention :unsure:

I didn't really care about measuring the 3135 of the 16600 so far.

I started to wear the watch 45 hours ago.

Guess what: +13 seconds in 45 hours... :whistling:

Ok, that might indicate it needs a service but 13 is a lot compared to our 2836/2824

It reminds me that my brand new Baume et Mercier, Tissot & Seiko were not COSC either (variations up to 10 seconds/24h).

So QC in term of time setting doesn't seem to be the priority either :wounded1:

I never had a +/- 10 seconds/24H in reps and we all know that QC is almost not existing.

My16600_800_23.jpg