When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

There Is Such A Thing As The Best...

purspeed

This is a great board with good members, but I have noobs (and I'm a noob) contacting me out of fear for asking some simple questions.

One of them is which ________ is the best. I agree that all reps have pro's and con's, but let's be real, there is a hierarchy that most would agree to.

For example, most would consider the MBW 1680 the best. Does that mean Trusty's or Josh's are no good? Not at all, but the most accurate rendition is the MBW.

We live in an age of relativism, but let's not go overboard now. We're not looking for the meaning of life or the nature of the universe here. It's a watch, folks, and a mildly retarded copy, at that.

I think that a sticky where folks can vote for the top ____________ would be very helpful.

(flame suit on)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say best.. you already said it.... Mbw.... with dimensions so exact you can

interchange genuine parts... no other compares...the price also matches all the accuracy

though and you will still have to do some modding on the CG's.

So add all the extra money plus genuine parts..and it remains a replica,...

so... is it worth it ?

Some say yes,.. some no... a great middle ground is the TW best....from EL or River....

When you say best.. you already said it.... Mbw.... with dimensions so exact you can

interchange genuine parts... no other compares...the price also matches all the accuracy

though and you will still have to do some modding on the CG's.

So add all the extra money plus genuine parts..and it remains a replica,...

so... is it worth it ?

Some say yes,.. some no... a great middle ground is the TW best....from EL or River....

So, we have MBW, then TW Best, then....(a pattern is emerging)

You should distinguish between TW Best Classic and TW Best Modern. TW Best Classic is of very high quality; basically a MBW with lug-holes and no etched crown (which is correct).

For me, in terms of accuracy:

1) MBW Vintage 1680 Sub

2) TW Best Classic Sub

2) MBW 16610 (modern, no lug holes) Sub

3) TW Best Modern Sub

4) Ultimate Sub

5) Others Subs follow

You should distinguish between TW Best Classic and TW Best Modern. TW Best Classic is of very high quality; basically a MBW with lug-holes and no etched crown (which is correct).

1) MBW Vintage 1680 Sub

2) TW Best Classic Sub

3) TW Best Modern Sub

4) Ultimate Sub

5) Others Subs follow

Hi guys, I have a TW Best Classic from Mr Eddie Lee on order. When I get it, I plan on taking some pics, etc. Maybe to help if someone wants a comparison shot with the same angles or something as some other reps - to use as a reference.

Because on this and a few other forums I couldnt find that many TW Best Classic pics...

1) MBW Vintage 1680 Sub

2) TW Best Classic Sub

3) TW Best Modern Sub

4) Ultimate Sub

5) Others Subs follow

You see folks, with enough talent, time and attention, we actually can make progress. :) I agree with your list, Cray.

Can't wait to see your pic's Sonystyle...

Well it certainly could be argued either way on several of my choices. The problem is the top 3 and bottom 3 are grouped very close in my mind and the question is what flaw can you live with and price considerations vs which is better that makes the different answer for anyone. I have been second guessing it in my mind all day :( However I think there is a clear line that can be drawn betwen those two groups (and possibly a final third group of the $100 cheapies).

I'm not sure they are any less accurate since the flaws are different and could find little fault with it the other way. I have given this some thought and really think it is arbitrary to rank within the groups I mentioned. I think more proper would be a grading system. The differences in flaws between the groups make it pointless to rank among them

A (In no Particular Order)

-----------------

MBW 1680 Sub

MBW Modern Sub

TW Best Classic Sub

B (In no Particular Order)

-----------------

TW Best Modern Sub

Ultimate Sub

C (In no Particular Order)

-----------------

~$100 rep subs

D (In no Particular Order)

-----------------

Asian Automatic Sub Reps.

Edited by Craytonic

Who has the best ?????

If you mean VINTAGE, then yes a MBW/WM is by far the best, for all the reasons given on this thread, and all the reasons given in numerous threads. AND like was mentioned in this thread, people still mod these very accurate vintage watches even further with genuine parts, CG work, etc.

Who has the best modern Sub . . . not modded ???

I DO !!!!

Or, at least I feel I do. It's a PT 'Ultimate" and the only thing that bothers me just a little, I feel the date mag could be just a little bigger. Does it have other flaws? Yea, but those are all but un-noticeable to me, especially without digital magnification, or a loupe. If I need to do that to see them . . . they don't bother . . . ME.

I've read on this thread that TW Best is best. Others think Luckyyy's MBW A1 16610 is best, and I would think PT's ultimate would get its share of votes. The problem with people asking . . . yes, I'm gonna say it . . . the stupidass question of who has the best, is what may be best to me, isn't to someone else. Maybe "near perfect" crown guards are not the highest priority to you, but are to me . . . a flat pearl bugs the helloutta you, and me, but not Fred/Sam/whoever . . . the date font, the crown logo on the dial, the bold m on the LV . . . sorry, but the only way someone is going to find out which Sub or which ANY is best for them is the old fashioned way . . . READ & RESEARCH! Read the reviews and what others say about the watch. If you can't find all the flaws . . . & I know I can't either . . . read what others say, and learn how they pick it apart. When you've done your homework, YOU will know where the flaws in the different dealers watches are, and YOU can decide what you can live with, and which is the best _________ for you.

BTW . . . I REALLY do know who has the best _________

It's the one that's gonna come out about a week after I buy mine . . .

And I am serious about that . . . maybe not a week, but HOPEFULLY the next model out won't be one step forward & two steps back, but the latest batch of Subs that came out at a rather rapid pace ALL were better/improved over the previous one. Plan on that happening when you buy your rep . . . there's gonna be a better version coming out, and it just might have that one flaw fixed that's makin you start to regret your last purchase.

Go find YOUR best Sub & best of luck to ya.

8^)

B

One of them is which ________ is the best. I agree that all reps have pro's and con's, but let's be real, there is a hierarchy that most would agree to.

You reckon? I don't think so, unless you mean absolute best, at which point the answer is unfortunately Rolex.

The MBW top 1680 with mods is absolute best rep, theoretically, but only if you add "at any cost". The best Sub is entirely budget-based, imho.

"Best" Sub is also subjective.

Whatcha gonna do with it? Impress the babes

uh . . .

duh . . .

er . . .

I mean . . .

of course it's about the babes . . .

and wishing that hot little brunette at the . . .

I mean . . .

Oh $#!+ the wife . . .

never mind.

B

Edited by Brian

I'm not sure they are any less accurate since the flaws are different and could find little fault with it the other way. I have given this some thought and really think it is arbitrary to rank within the groups I mentioned. I think more proper would be a grading system. The differences in flaws between the groups make it pointless to rank among them

-----------------

MBW 1680 Sub

MBW Modern Sub

TW Best Classic Sub

-----------------

TW Best Modern Sub

Ultimate Sub

C (In no Particular Order)

-----------------

~$100 rep subs

D (In no Particular Order)

-----------------

Asian Automatic Sub Reps.

i agree with your list 100%. for myself i went with a tw best sub from el and it's getting every mod known to man done to it. but i always say when somebody asks me, the best sub rep is one that will accept gen parts for obvious reasons 1 step back from that is a tw best. the new round of cn subs are great but they don't have the case thickness and you can't fix that but i still think they are very good and i have a black and a lv that i rotate through the week everyday.

i agree with your list 100%. for myself i went with a tw best sub from el and it's getting every mod known to man done to it. but i always say when somebody asks me, the best sub rep is one that will accept gen parts for obvious reasons 1 step back from that is a tw best. the new round of cn subs are great but they don't have the case thickness and you can't fix that but i still think they are very good and i have a black and a lv that i rotate through the week everyday.

i think this list should be pinned. it would save alot of reptition and as the reps improve it could be updated. just my 02.

Humm... adding the vintage SD and DW Daytona. Obviously rolex has the best sub. That joke was funny the first 999 times. Price is certainly is consideration, but that is for the buyer to factor in and quality can be ranked seperate. Price is certainly a subjective criteria, whereas quality and accuracy are at least somewhat objective. Obviously an Austin Martin is a better car than a honda civic, although the civic may be the better car for you.

This is my ranking with comments. Obviously yours will probably differ, and I would welcome suggestions. I decided to use classes since some are too close of a call to rank

A+ (In no Particular Order)

-----------------

* MBW/WM 1680 Sub (red or white)

- This can become the most accurate with modifications (time and money)

- Many prefer to add a genuine Tropic 127 crystal which is straight all the way up, the one installed is not

- Dial has no lume on it

- Pearl on Bezel is not accurate

- Crown Guards are a little bulky

- Lug holes need to be drilled out to accomodate genuine springbar

* MBW/WM Vintage Seadweller

- This can become the most accurate with modifications (time and money)

- Might want genuine crystal

- Crown Guards are a little bulky

- Lug holes need to be drilled out to accomodate genuine springbar

-----------------

* MBW/WM Modern Sub

- Incorrect solid bracelet, should be hollow (and gen bracelet probably will not fit)

- Laser etching is not as faint as genuine

- Pearl on bezel is not accurate

- Crown guards a little heavy (but very close)

- Needs relume

- Great Rehaut depth

- Maginification certainly not weak, may be a little too strong

* TW Best Classic Sub (Eddie Lee)

- Has no laser etching, which is correct

- Correct Solid bracelet

- Crown Guards a little heavy (but very close)

- Needs relume

- Great rehaut depth

- Lug hole positioning makes it hard/impossible to enlarge for genuine springbar

- Correct in that it has lug-holes

Non-submariners worthy of an "A" ranking

* DW 6263 Paul Neuman Daytona.

- VJ 23 movement in it is a piece of [censored] and will need to be replaced

- Correct VJ 72 movement is very expensive ($500-1000)

- Out of box, the middle subdial does not function

- Genuine Tropic 23 crystal is a solid modification

-----------------

* TW Best Modern Sub (Eddie Lee)

- Rehaut too shallow

- Thus, magnification a little weak

- Not as good as "A" category in most areas

* Ultimate Sub (Precious Time)

- Rehaut too shallow

- Thus, magnification a little weak

- Not as good as "A" category in most areas