When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Test: IWC 3707 GST Chronograph Automatic Ti Replica

Seadweller4000

cover1.jpg

I first fell in love with this watch after having seen Pugwash’s pictures of his Franken. The simplicity of the design, the way the white hands strike out of the black dial and of course an understatement that is representative for IWC made me want this watch really bad.

120673-21667.png

(Picture courtesy of Pugwash)

The GST line was introduced by IWC in 1997 to follow the Ocean-line after the end of the famous design-collaboration with Ferdinand A. Porsche.

Together with Porsche, the IWC built watches like the Ocean 2000 for example,

a diverwatch used by several military special forces, such as the German Kampfschwimmer (commando frog men).

Kampfschwimmer.jpg

This one even has a military stock number:

Ocnbnd.jpg

But IWC did not fail to create a worthy successor with the 3536 Aquatimer, head of the new sportsline GST. A very professional divertool water resistant up (or down) to 2 kilometers into the deep.

GSTaquatimer.jpg

The designers from Schaffhausen kept the puristic appearance of the Porsche-Design, holding close to the principles of the modern-classic. Marcel Breuer, one of the Bauhaus founders once described the Bauhaus credo: “At the moment we have built every part to function and not to disturbs the other, we’re done”.

This functionalism even strikes through into the name GST, which simply stands for the used materials: Gold, steel, titanium.

The slightly smaller brother of the GST Aquatimer is the GST Chronograph Automatic. Its design lead into the current Aquatimers, with a completely round body where only crown and pushers stick out. The lughorns seem to grow out of the case creating a one-piece-construction appearance.

The GST chrono has also the typical inner bezel, which is not for diving, but a tachymeter scale. Often wrongly described as an Aquatimer, it is not. Only the look was obviously inspired by the Grandfather-Aquatimer, the very first IWC divingwatch.

grandfath.jpg

It is merely a sportschronograph, but with a waterresistance of 120m you can safely swim and snorkel with it.

In my own biased opinion, the titanium versions of the GST line are the most beautiful. While the dials on the steel and gold pieces are white with blingy golden indexes, the titanium watches are equipped with a silk-matt finished black dial with bright white indexes and font.

Also the steel cases have a polished finish which takes a lot of the sporty character. A statement that feels like “I want to wear a sportswatch, but actually I am too rich to use it".

I apologize to all two-tone submariner fans out there.

Genuine Technical Data:

Reference: 370701

Caliber: ETA Valjoux 7750

Movement: Selfwinding mechanical

Powerreserve: min. 42h

Vibration: 28.800bph

Jewel: 25 jewels

Calendar: Day and Date

Case: Titanium Grade 2 (5% Legierung)

Water resistance: 120m

Crown: Screw in

Caseback: Screwed in

Crystal: cambered sapphire

Diameter: 39.7mm

Thickness: 13.9mm

Lugsize: 20mm

Weight: 135grams

gst.jpg

The replica’s case has the same dimensions as the genuine item and is constructed out of three parts: bezel, body and caseback. The whole watch is made of titanium, including the bracelet system. Usually titanium is a material which is as strong as stainless steel, but 45% lighter and softer. Therefore you have to accept scratches very short after wearing. IWC solved this issue by having every ti case hardened by nitrogenium that is blasted against the surface with high pressure, compact it to grade 2 titanium (material grade number 3.7035), the same grade of titanium that is used for engineering high-tech machines and grounds.

I have no idea what the replica manufacturers do to the rep material, but it does not scratch either. Compared to the old titane Avenger reps, the GST chrono is really scratch-resistant and feels way harder.

Another advantage of titanium is that it’s very resistant against saltwater, but it ages by time. This means it gets darker. This happens to our reps as well as to the genuines.

The 1,5mm thick caseback is of a screw-in type and sealed by a gasket that sits in the body. It has the correct markings “Inernational Watch Co. Schaffhausen” and a laser edged serial number.

Inside the caseback you can find the IWC logo, the “INTERNATIONAL WATCH Co. SWISS TITANIUM” text and the same serial number as on the outside and the reference: 3707.

The bezel is connected with the body very tight; there is no gap between the two parts. It is larger in diameter allowing the crystal to be almost the same size as the case-body. Like the slightly higher sitting crystal it is a little cambered. Even though this looks nice, there is a higher danger of breaking the crystal because it is not protected by the bezel.

back.jpg

The entire case is what I call a real highlight in both, gen and rep watch history. It is build in a high grade of quality with little tolerances. I think this is a result of IWC’s long time experience in in-house case construction and the rep makers long time experience in copying it. Nothing is sharp or undefined, even the engraving on the caseback feels smooth.

The crown sits on the tube like on a thrown. It is of a screw-lock type, but you won’t see a thread as it is hidden inside the tube. This is intentional.

krone.jpg

As always, it is not as defined as the genuine counterpart, but still better than on every out of the box rep submariner I have seen so far. It is marked with the fish symbol that vanished together with the GST line. It means the watch is water resistant.

crownpushers.jpg

IWC guarantees a water resistance up to 12 bar (120m) on the genuine, my watchmaker’s Bergeon pressure-tester does the same for 50m on my rep. Maybe I will ask him to take it to a 100m+ tester along with the Oris I tested here.

drucktest.jpg

Remember that the pushers are not screw locked, so do not push them in the water. Neither on gen or rep.

The movement behind the caseback is in this case an unfinished ETA Valjoux 7750 which means it is still in the same condition as it left the ETA production facilities in Grenchen, Switzerland. It runs now unserviced for more than 5 years, as the preowner bought it used, too and did not service it neither. Just a guess though. Therefore it runs like a charm and I will have it serviced as soon as my other projects allow spending a buck on it.

gangtest.jpg

gangwerte.jpg

Right now it shows an average accuracy of -44secs with an amplitude-difference of 73

Great write-up. One of the original super reps. I too thought it was good enough to put in a Swiss movement. The stock date wheels are an added bonus. And its funny as I too elected to add double AR in spite of the gen not having it. I do envy the gen dial though. :D

And yes, I do polish it up from time to time as the ti does darken. ;)

Fantastic post. I really got 'into' reps because of my interest in Panerais but this model quickly caught my interest. First of all I bought an SS version and got The Zigmeister to fit a genuine ETA 7750 and now I have a titanium version, a decorated Swiss ETA movement and a genuine dial waiting to go to The Zigmeister for a movement / dial swap and AR. Now I have both the SS and Ti versions and both will have the ETA movements and the gen dials really set them apart from regular reps (I have now got a gen SS dial to get fitted too).

You can probably tell that I am a big fan of these which I consider to be one of the best 'super-reps' available.

Excellent write up.

I have really enjoy reading it.

Though ..... and that's independent of the review , the problem with reps (any rep) is the total lack of any QC and constinency.

The fact that this particular watch is water proff down to 50m it doesn't mean that the next one (...exactly the same watch model) can surevive even an imersion in to a glass of water.

I repeat. The review is really great.

Are the reps that are not consistent.

Fantastic write up of an fantastic watch, one of my very favourites,

just want to add that IWC do a lot of modifications of the Base ETA movement, so its not really the same movement, but close

see this http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/Series/IWCGSTC...eMovements.html

Thanks Maximilian, I updated the test with your info, already.

Really appreciated.

Excellent write up.

I have really enjoy reading it.

Though ..... and that's independent of the review , the problem with reps (any rep) is the total lack of any QC and constinency.

The fact that this particular watch is water proff down to 50m it doesn't mean that the next one (...exactly the same watch model) can surevive even an imersion in to a glass of water.

I repeat. The review is really great.

Are the reps that are not consistent.

Dude,

I did not want in any way take guarantee for every single GST chrono rep out there... Even though the last watches I bought make it hard for me to believe there is NO QC at all. I mean how many watches are purchased on our boards in one month? How many members complain?

I did not say EVERY rep of this kind will survive 50m - I just test the watch I have as is. This one had no problems, as well as 20 other reps I had pressure tested. Only one really failed, the watch I regard in my upcoming test... :lol:

;)

wow Ben, very detailed review. Just this weekend I talked about this watch a bit on a little GTG with Taka,Yellomen,Scoobs and Kelster in Amsterdam . To me it is strange that IWC made the choice for a classic lettertype on the top inside of the bezel and the straight lettertype for the rest.

Tnx for sharing, great work.

Once more, an amazing review. Glad to see one of my favourites scored so high. However, I'm going to question one bit:

Strap and clasp (max. 10points)

High quality, precise craftsmanship. Some links lack of a functional release button.

The clasp has holes that should not be there.

8points

Every single pusher on my strap works as per the genuine. The only possible fault is the off-coloured link, but I've seen gen photos where the same link is off-coloured.

Once more, an amazing review. Glad to see one of my favourites scored so high. However, I'm going to question one bit:

Every single pusher on my strap works as per the genuine. The only possible fault is the off-coloured link, but I've seen gen photos where the same link is off-coloured.

Yeah, every link on my bracelet works too. I don't see how the pin would stay in place unless the correct locking mechanism was in each link. I took the bracelet of my SS totally apart to polish the centre links so I know that they all work properly.

I have had a genuine GST chrono in my hands and the clasp link was off coloured as well, but slightly less so than my rep and the Ti Aquatimer is the same. It is obvious that the link that is attached to the bracelet clasp needs to be SS so that it can be welded to the clasp, which (in my mind) confirms that the link is welded rather than glued as many suggest. Surely if the link was glued onto the clasp then it would be Ti to match the bracelet. I suspect that the gen uses a SS base for this link and then it's Ti coated (if that's possible) or else it's SS blasted with aluminium oxide which would account for the closer colour match to the Ti.

These are sweet reps and top of my list of desirables.

Well B you are certainly making a name for yourself as a quality reviewer.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have this watch in SS with the gold hands, I've been told it's wrong but I still see it as one of the most beautiful watches I've seen.

Ken

Thank you all for your nice words!

It's nice to see this watch gets the attention it deserves here unlike on the other boards.

:D

Weird. There are at least 6 links that DO NOT work on my watch. I don't know if they are just really stuck or if they are from a different batch. Honestly, I did not notice the different coloured link, thanks for pointing it out.

Also I have to say that an out of the box GST chrono would not have gotten this high rating. ;)

I had one or two links that didnt work without a major use of force but I did manage to get a couple of new links to replace with.

Good idea, maybe I should do that too.

Thank you all for your nice words!

It's nice to see this watch gets the attention it deserves here unlike on the other boards.

:D

Weird. There are at least 6 links that DO NOT work on my watch. I don't know if they are just really stuck or if they are from a different batch. Honestly, I did not notice the different coloured link, thanks for pointing it out.

Also I have to say that an out of the box GST chrono would not have gotten this high rating. ;)

Good idea, maybe I should do that too.

....WOW! what a great review just fantastic....the ar coating does wonders showing off the dial!!

.......the watch looks great and im so glad you enjoy it as much as i did.....cheers,aws.

• 1 month later...