When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what do you wear with your watches

blade007

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys normally wear with your watches?

:huh:

Clothes...

;)

I tend to wear jeans and either sweaters, or sleeved shirts (as would be worn with a neck-tie) with the sleeves rolled back (although I can't stand the same style of shirts with short sleeves. To 'McUniform' for my tastes...) I tend to wear casual shoes rather than sneakers, but, in the summer, will sometimes were Converse-style plimsoles. I sometimes wear smart shoes with my jeans if I'm dressing up a bit, and of course, if the need arrises, I'll wear a pinstripe suit and the appropriate attire. I've used messenger-style bags for over a decade. They're large enough to get everything I need in, and, can be slung across the body to help reduce the chance of a bag-snatch in a busy place. It would be nice to have a nice briefcase, but, I don't 'go formal' enough to really warrant owning one. Maybe in the future...

My clothings are also as important as watches in matter of taste, i almost always dress from boutique or good comerical brands in every type sport, dressy, casual and i dont bother too much about which watch b.c. they simply match anything i wear rolex sd, iwc 3717, i call them casual dressy

....you dont wear slippers with a suit.

Thing is, you don't wear a 44mm Luminor w/ a suit either, or at least you shouldn't. You're confusing cost with style. A big, crown guarded steel on rubber $4000 sport watch with jeans and a sweater is stylish. A big, crown guarded steel on rubber $4000 sport watch with a suit is not stylish.

I know, I know...I've seen all the pics of notable people, including the greatest president of the 20th century, wearing PAM's with suits. Thing is, they're notable for other thing aside from being good dressers. Whenever I see anyone w/ a 111 or a Sub with a nice suit, I usually assume they haven't discovered high quality reps yet and are wearing they're using your reasoning---expensive watch w/ expensive clothes. If they won't buy a nice near 1:1 Casablanca, they at least ought to go to the mall and pick up whatever 2824 powered Rayomond Weil dress watch is for sale.

Car not running? Why the bus?

Not that everyone who takes a bus MUST take a bus, but I think most would agree that it is a VERY rare case for most who can afford gen luxury watches to be riding a bus.

What you do for your kids is amazing. My son loves the bus...it's a big treat to go on it...sings a whole song...talks to the driver...

In reality...as far as the genuine population goes, it's a very rare case for someone to be into luxury watches...let alone those who can afford them.

in NYC, having a car is a madness if you're working in the city. therefore, most ppl use subway/bus for transportation. I saw like 5-10 artists (singer-actor-actress etc) in the subway and on the bus. they were dressed just like a regular person; jeans, t-shirt, nike shoes etc.

So, even the most famous or rich people may dress regularly and use public transportation. NYC may have a huge effect on this of course, but my real real story is; I saved money for some time, did some translation work etc. in summer instead of having a vacation and bought a gen Tag for myself as a graduation gift.

I don't have a car, I live in a rent house, I don't wear gucci, prada, d&g, chanel whatever brands.. but I have a gen Tag and it's on my wrist most of the time. and that's only because I wanted it so badly and didn't eat or drink, go out at night, missed a few concerts, just to get it, and I got it.

anyone checking me out after seeing my watch may think it's a rep, oh look this guy's wearing levi's jeans, adidas superstar shoes, a striped dockers sweat shirt. I'm sure his Tag is a rep. No sir, It's more gen than you could imagine.

@nakku

btw are you also an audio freak like me? i got the shure se530

hehe indeed I am a bit of a self confessed audiophile. I am still sticking to 2 channels where possible. Here is what my setup consisis of at the moment:

Home:

amp: Audiolab 8000A (british)

speakers: proac tablette 50 (british)

audio source: mostly on pc using Creative x-fi platinum card and high bit rate mp3s. Sold off my Musical Fidelity X Ray cd player.

Interconnects: van den hul D - 102 III HYBRID

Portable:

headphones: sennheiser hd25-1

headphones2: shure SE210

Ipod: 4th gen beater

Shure SE530 are so nice, I wanted to get a pair of those too, sadly I couldnt strech that far and already had a pair of sennheiser hd25-1. What equipment do you mainly use?

woohoo, my 100th post..

Edited by dakku

I got marantz amp and super audio cd player with B&W compact speakers, and a pioneer 5 deck system with jbl speakers which i use for tv.

But i almost always use the harman kardon soundsticks 2 for pc because ripping mp3 from net is easier =P, great sound and design for great price! I highly recommend

Btw, at first i used always sony highend mini earplugs(dont remember which model but it was the best with metal case etc.) untill the cable got ripped, so i decided for shure and at first i tested the cheapest version in shopping mall and the quality was almost equal to my old sony, then i saw the 530 and wanted the test, the guy even warned me but i didnt listen....after hearing that i HAD to buy :D ..3 driver system just blows your mind, feels like the music is injected direct to your brain cells..

do you know a very very good mp3 player? i used ipod(got broken as usually), now i use sony nwz-a816 but i still cant get near quality sound like i get from marantz amp..

I own my own business and set the dress code by what I wear ... always casual golf wear. Where I live there are only two seasons that count. Long cold winters and long hot summers. So people here dress accordingly. I gave up suits and ties a long time ago and do not miss them one bit. Almost all my watches are sport models and go with a casual look.

I got marantz amp and super audio cd player with B&W compact speakers, and a pioneer 5 deck system with jbl speakers which i use for tv.

But i almost always use the harman kardon soundsticks 2 for pc because ripping mp3 from net is easier =P, great sound and design for great price! I highly recommend

Btw, at first i used always sony highend mini earplugs(dont remember which model but it was the best with metal case etc.) untill the cable got ripped,

do you know a very very good mp3 player? i used ipod(got broken as usually), now i use sony nwz-a816 but i still cant get near quality sound like i get from marantz amp..

haha, i think my Shure story is very similar to yours, I went from having Sony MDR EX71SLB Fontopia headphones, similarly the wire started getting ripped and looked like my dog had chewed through most of it. Ended up getting sennheiser PX200, then moved onto AKG and finally got the sennheiser HD25. The thing with sennheiser HD25 was the size and looked odd on days when I was dressing smart for work. Looked like I had pair cans stuck to my head, didnt go with the outlook. That led to IEMs.. Since I got the Shure ones my sennheiser HD25 are confied to PC/Mac use.

harman kardon soundsticks 2 are very nice choice. I love the sub design. you have good taste sir.

Again, very similar to your setup, I used to have a pair of B&W 602 stand mounters with a marantz. loved the mellow soun dof the amp and the slightly bassy undertone of the B&W speakers. so, good taste there buddy.

Hmm, a portable worthy of Shure sound signature...!!! this is tricky. When i had got my SE201's the mp3's sounded crap cause as you say they do "feels like the music is injected direct to your brain cells". Thats the downside of having high quality headphones...

Unfortunately I couldnt find anything that was as usable as the iPod and had similar features. My way around the problem was to re-rip all the music in 320 bit rate setting. There is a way you can imporve the sound signature of your ipod

However if you are looking for a different player to an ipod there is the creative zen, iriver etc. I have not heard the sound signature to be able to comment, but the usability is nowhere as nice as an iPod.

Those guys I see walking around the city with spiky hair, expensive shirts, tight girly trousers and pointy shoes crack me up. Image-obsessed fashion victims :)

LOL, you mean like Russell Brand? Feel sorry for the "Russell Brand wannabees"

RussellBrand_Oxley_2.jpg

Edited by dakku

I have a bit of audiophilia horologica too

OOh, very nice amp mate, is it class A valve? they are a rather expensive arnt they?? I wont ask if its a gen or a rep. LOL

Actually why dont we start a "post your watch and hifi pics" thread?

ps: love the watch too.

just noticed in the background you have something that looks rather like electrostatic speakers... am i seeing things or what?

Edited by dakku

OOh, very nice amp mate, is it class A valve? they are a rather expensive arnt they?? I wont ask if its a gen or a rep. LOL

Actually why dont we start a "post your watch and hifi pics" thread?

ps: love the watch too.

just noticed in the background you have something that looks rather like electrostatic speakers... am i seeing things or what?

I think the last hifi thread (Off Topic forum) was a few months ago.

The amps are mono class AB valve (tube) OTLs (no output transformers), the speakers are Quad 63s & do not even get me started on the spider's web of wires & cables back there. Thank you for the compliments on the watch -- it is 1 of my favorites.

the speakers are Quad 63s

I thought they might be, I havent seen many Quad electrostatic speakers around. They are one of the finer breed. I went to an hifi demo room at harrods once and they had Martin Logan electostatic speakers hooked up to a krell cd/amp combo, boy did they sound nice..

back to the subject, often when I go for hifi demos etc, my personal experience is that when demoing audio kit worth as much as an average car, it pays off not to dress in a hoodie if you want to be taken seriously. I cant even remember the number of times I have been shrugged away for not "dressing up" to the occasion..

Edited by dakku

I thought they might be, I havent seen many Quad electrostatic speakers around. They are one of the finer breed. I went to an hifi demo room at harrods once and they had Martin Logan electostatic speakers hooked up to a krell cd/amp combo, boy did they sound nice..

Yes, I imagine they would.

Martin Logan makes excellent speakers, but they (like most) never sound their best in retail showroom environments. Electrostatic speakers are VERY finicky about room placement. If you liked what you heard in the Harrods demo room, you would probably love them in your home. But with all the things the Quads do well, they are also real bastards when it comes to maintenance. Each speaker contains 4 separate electrostatic panels, parts of which are held together with a bonding agent. When that bonding agent begins to break down (as it does over time), the speakers start to emit all sorts of unmusical creaks & buzzes, which are about as welcome as a cell phone ringing in the middle of a live performance of a string quartet. Unfortunately, the only remedy is panel replacement (which cost $1,200/panel & require complete disassembly of the speaker) & I just had to replace 2 of them. Fun. When I got the Quads 20 years ago, I was also considering B&W 801s. I have been reconsidering those B&Ws recently.

back to the subject, often when I go for hifi demos etc, my personal experience is that when demoing audio kit worth as much as an average car, it pays off not to dress in a hoodie if you want to be taken seriously. I cant even remember the number of times I have been shrugged away for not "dressing up" to the occasion..

Years ago, I worked in a high end retail business & many of our clients were wealthy, powerful people. During the work week, they always dressed the part. But some of the highest tax bracket types often dressed in grubby clothes on weekends (while working on 1 of the Ferraris or lounging at the club), which is when they often did the actual buying of items they had seen during the week. But there was always something about these guys -- watch or car or shoes or pen or sport coat -- something that identified & marked them as being something other than what their initially grubby impressions inferred.

I'll be 55 next month and work as a college professor. About 30 years ago I realized that I like wearing suits or blue jeans; I don't really care for those clothes in between. As a result, I don't wear that in between stuff unles the situation absolutely demands. Regardless of whether it the suits or blue jeans, it's always a nice watch whethter it's a rep or a gen.

I'll be 55 next month and work as a college professor. About 30 years ago I realized that I like wearing suits or blue jeans; I don't really care for those clothes in between. As a result, I don't wear that in between stuff unles the situation absolutely demands. Regardless of whether it the suits or blue jeans, it's always a nice watch whethter it's a rep or a gen.