When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Non-divers wearing diving watches....

Nightstroker

Non-divers wearing diving watches....  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Please give your opinion....

• Yes....it is okay for non-divers to wear diving watches....
    • I do not think it is right to wear a diving watch unless you do some diving....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote =

Some guy over at RWG1 posted a thread about what a shame it is that so many people are wearing subs yet they do not dive....

He went on to explain that a watch should not be purchased/worn unless you plan to use it for its intended purpose....and was rather arrogant about it also....

So this got me thinking....does ANYONE agree with this lunatic?

My argument was that if you like the way it looks and you can afford it then you are justified in buying and wearing it regardless of its intended purpose....

With this he does not agree....

/quote

It makes me laugh when someone gets puffed up about "tool watches".

...especially fake tool watches.

I have a friend who is an airline pilot. He does not wear a watch when flying because:

1...Close quarters in the cockpit causes him to bang a watch on everything.

2...There is a radio controlled clock on the instrument panel.

3...The last thing you need to know when landing a plane full of drunk vacationers in a thunderstorm is what time it is.

On the ground, he does not wear a watch...he has a cell phone if he needs to know what time it is.

I also have a friend who is a sat diver and he does not wear a watch when in the water because:

1...Someone topside keeps track of time etc.

2...The diving company will fire him if they catch him wearing a watch while diving.

He wears a $125 quartz Seiko diver when off duty.

I have another friend (brother of the airline pilot) who is a locomotive engineer and he must have a railroad approved watch on at all times and it has to be within 15 seconds of the Chief Dispatcher's Standard Time. He is required to check his watch against a standard clock every time he goes on duty.

Three things you better know when you are on the road:

1...Your mile post location within 1/10 of a mile.

2...Speed.

3...What time it is.

No watch, speeding etc = an investigation.

Investigation = formal hearing with a Division Trainmaster and someone (usually a union rep) to represent the employee to find out why an operating rule was violated.

He wears a Seiko RR approved quartz watch while on duty and does not wear a watch when off duty...he carries a cell phone.

The mechanical "tool watch" is a dinosaur.

The mechanical "tool watch" is a dinosaur.

This is not really news anymore, but, yes. Current models are too costly & blinged-up to risk a blemish resulting from a dive into anything much deeper than the average martini glass. Meanwhile, by today's digital/atomic clock standards, vintage models are crude, proximate devices & most are being bought up by wealthy collectors or investors due to their increasing rarity & skyrocketing value.

:lol: LMAO

Muffmariner

Officially Certified

7"/0.1778m

Or for the deep divers- :lol:

Muff-Dweller

Officially Certified

12"/0.3048m

I guess im a deep-diver :D

I personally think no professional wears unreliable luxury watches for duty purposes anyway. Im a hobby diver and everybody, no matter how wealthy they are (from teachers to friends) are wearing seikos with depth indicator, diving computers or no watch at all. Diver-watch, pilot-watch all symbolic...

But hang on, remember a few months back when the new super seadweller rep got taken on a saturation dive. The crew all had traditional (now luxury) mechanical divers. Must be a reason for that. Tradition? Does the saturation process kill computers?

Could they be the last of the old school divers.

EDIT: There it is...

Prior to blowing the watch into saturation on the Diver's wrist in the chambers, I asked twelve Divers, Four Diving Supervisors and a Diving Superintendent for their thoughts on the watch as many of them have gens on their wrists and all of them have seen and handled real Sea Dwellers. Please bear in mind that these guys aren't into watches as much as the people on this forum and only want a reliable and high quality timepiece to wear in the water without really paying that much attention to them. Their initial impressions when I showed them the watch on my wrist was that it is a real Sea Dweller that looked brand new and just out of the box. However, after I took it off and handed it to each of them for a close up comparison they all immediately noticed it wasn't a gen just by the feel of the bracelet in their hands. I asked them to forget about the bracelet and just concentrate on the watch itself and noted all their comments -

"The face just doesn't look right around the edges of the crystal (rehaut? / crystal height? / crystal cut?)" (wearing Sea Dweller)

"That pearl is wrong (too small)" (wearing Sea Dweller)

"Very smooth sweep" (wearing solid gold Submariner Certi)

"Looks exactly like mine" (wearing Sea Dweller)

"Best fake watch I've seen" (wearing limited edition diving company Panerai)

"Caseback edges need grinding (too sharp)" (wearing two tone Submariner)

"Writing (face) is brighter than mine" (wearing Sea Dweller)

"How can I get one" (wearing G Shock)

"Three hundred bucks is a bargain" (wearing vintage Sea Dweller)

"Looks decent but it's still a fake" (wearing G Shock)

"Bits round the crown (crown guards) don't look right" (wearing Sea Dweller)

"Can't believe this is a fake" (wearing Breitling Superocean)

"Numbers (date font) are slightly different" (wearing Sea Dweller)

"Awesome fake" (wearing Omega Seamaster)

"The glass (crystal) is higher" (wearing Sea Dweller)

"If it lasts (saturation and diving test) I'm getting one" (wearing Sea Dweller)

"Feels like a good quality watch" (wearing Divex)

Edited by Greystash

Growing up around the Ocean... and spending so much time in the water... it just seemed ntural to have a watch that was water resistant ...

but I alway's looked at divers watches as "tough'.. and able to withstand abuse.. :p

Needless to say Pilot Watches are for what?

wow take away our Divers and Pilot's.. do you need to be a diploma carrying Mathmatician to wear a FM Crazy numeral watch ?

Does "Muff diving " count haha.. that didn't get {cencored}...

maybe someone should start a "irrelevant" thread.. or a " are we running out of things to discuss" thread :lol:

Does Muff Diving count?

You have to be MUFF Diver Certified before you become a Muff Diver! It take's 7 days of intense and constant MUFF Diving Training and PADI does not offer

this! I believe Costeau originally was the only certified instructor for this, but out in Hawaii, Lanikai was personally Certified by him!

Daily deep immersion is required 3 to 4 times a day at 1 hour each session (be warned - some people develop a rare sensitivity to the Alkaline environment

and come up with MUFINITIS!). Every nooks and cranies of the MUFF is shown so that during the certification

testing, one could identify all the locations and details of all the important spots that is needed to satisfy the requirements!!!

Good luck!

BTW: The MUFF Divers WATCH is still under development and will come out as a REP in mid Summer '08!

Some guy over at RWG1 posted a thread about what a shame it is that so many people are wearing subs yet they do not dive....

He went on to explain that a watch should not be purchased/worn unless you plan to use it for its intended purpose....and was rather arrogant about it also....

What a dope.

Tangentially, I've heard some guys express a similar disdain for people who wear Bentley-Breitlings, saying if you don't have a Bentley, it looks pretentious. What tosh.

It's a watch like any other. They're supposed to tell the time, and if you like it, buy it. Basta!

P.S.: The results of the poll once you've voted will floor you. But they shouldn't really.

I guess im a deep-diver :D

I personally think no professional wears unreliable luxury watches for duty purposes anyway. Im a hobby diver and everybody, no matter how wealthy they are (from teachers to friends) are wearing seikos with depth indicator, diving computers or no watch at all. Diver-watch, pilot-watch all symbolic...

ahaha yeah yeah. B==o

Seriously, It almost a faux pah in my opinion to see some guy yank out the divers extension and strap his submariner onto his wetsuit, all the while, his dive computers hanging a foot away. Thats the guy that wants attention not only from the other divers, but the baracudas who happen to love (and have no problems coming over to inspect) shiny chew toys.

You have to be MUFF Diver Certified before you become a Muff Diver! It take's 7 days of intense and constant MUFF Diving Training and PADI does not offer

this! I believe Costeau originally was the only certified instructor for this, but out in Hawaii, Lanikai was personally Certified by him!

Daily deep immersion is required 3 to 4 times a day at 1 hour each session (be warned - some people develop a rare sensitivity to the Alkaline environment

and come up with MUFINITIS!). Every nooks and cranies of the MUFF is shown so that during the certification

testing, one could identify all the locations and details of all the important spots that is needed to satisfy the requirements!!!

Good luck!

BTW: The MUFF Divers WATCH is still under development and will come out as a REP in mid Summer '08!

due to the great demand from tourist than frequent the islands we have formed a Co-op .. and opened the first Muff certified dive School here on Oahu .. the 'team' of instructors.. who are on call 24/7 are... hike :o ... robertk :huh: .... P-4 :rolleyes: ... (since he is attached classroom instruction only .. no practicum involved) ,... xim :p ... and yours truly... B)

we are certified and belong to the Maui Muff divers Association.. experience is guaranteed..

On your next trip to Hawaii.. please call for your appointment.. the number is listed below.. CC accepted..cash preferred

dsc0007py8.jpg

WANTED.. sales Associates .. for demo purposes.. males need not apply!!!! must be 18 or older or at least a respectable replicated ID..

ahaha yeah yeah. B==o

Seriously, It almost a faux pah in my opinion to see some guy yank out the divers extension and strap his submariner onto his wetsuit, all the while, his dive computers hanging a foot away. Thats the guy that wants attention not only from the other divers, but the baracudas who happen to love (and have no problems coming over to inspect) shiny chew toys.

Heh! So now we've gone from it's an embarrassment if you wear a Sub and don't dive to, it's an embarrassment if you wear a Sub and do dive?

:lol: Give me a break.

• 2 weeks later...

Y'know what struck me reading that thread? Sounded to me, like the OP doesn't like 'them colored folks' wearing a 'richman's watch'... Their references were all about non-whites wearing the watches... What a racist c*ntrag <_<

Y'know what struck me reading that thread? Sounded to me, like the OP doesn't like 'them colored folks' wearing a 'richman's watch'... Their references were all about non-whites wearing the watches... What a racist c*ntrag <_<

We (Some of the members over at RWG1) have reason to believe that the person who started this thread is actually one of the old original members using another identity and just having some fun....Demsey....