When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Datejust 16014

w.genzo

After a 16610 tribally modded, this is another completed franken project.

I know subs and dj are not so original :)

This time kelster helped me, I sent him all the parts and he took care of my watch.

There's no need to say that transaction was flawless, I'm so happy to have found such nice people on the forum.

I spent almost 6 months to get all the parts, at the beginning because last year I was a noob :), later because it's really hard to find these days a correct DW with open '6 and '9 date font wich turns in the same ETA direction.

Here it is:

Genuine dial

Gen 16014 case

Gen crown and tube

Gen 62510H jubilee

Gen plexy crystal

Clark hands

3055 datewheel

ETA 2836-2

Some pics:

IMGP1037.jpg

IMGP1039.jpg

IMGP1040.jpg

IMGP1031.jpg

Thanks again to kelster ;)

Cheers

very very nice! Good score on the 3055 disc. The open fonts are very hard to find these days. pretty much extinct.

what movement did you use?

Post edited: I used a 2836-2 simple movement.

Yes, I followed your advise and I looked for a 3055 DW that fits perfectly, it was pretty expensive but it is definitely worth.

@piratezeus:

I cannot remember, as I started collecting parts 6 months ago, but more ore less:

Case: 150 eur

crown + tube: around 60 eur

Dial: 120 eur

Plexi crystal : 40 eur

jubilee: 200 eur

ETA mov: 80 eur

hands: 15 eur

DW: 40 eur!!

everything is NOS, except the case, but it's almost perfect anyway.

• 1 month later...

I bought it from Jules Borel a long time ago, but now they are discontinued.

I paid it around 60$, I guess you could be lucky searching for a gen 3055 DW.

Forget the aftermarket DW from ebay, all the sellers have picture of the correct 6 and 9 date font, but then they ship the closed 6 and 9 one.

I bought it from Jules Borel a long time ago, but now they are discontinued.

I paid it around 60$, I guess you could be lucky searching for a gen 3055 DW.

Forget the aftermarket DW from ebay, all the sellers have picture of the correct 6 and 9 date font, but then they ship the closed 6 and 9 one.

Borel refers the 3055 date disc to another part number, but I cannot locate the other part number anywhere on their site. Has anyone tracked this down?

Clark's (a reliable ebay seller) has the closed font 3055 DW listed for $130 if anyone really needs 1. Hard to tell for sure since the pics are so small, but the font looks very similar to the fonts on my gen 16014 DW (at right)

16014vs16011.jpg

(Ignore the bending seconds hand - pic taken on flatbed scanner)

Here's a 3035 datewheel that I just happened across on the bay. $79 plus $10 s&h

I hate to say this, but that thing looks like the same piece of crap I got from Mr. Slime Ball in Texas (Wholesaleoutlet), which had half the numbers printed off-center (relative to the teeth) so those dates appeared off-center in the date window. If you compare the location of the teeth to the top of each set of numbers you will see that some of the numbers are printed higher or lower relative to those teeth, which was the problem with the DWs (2 of them) I got from Mr. Slime Ball. All of the numbers on the gen DWs should be in the same locations relative to the teeth, otherwise, they do not appear correctly in the date window.

Edit -- If you look closely, you can see that some of the teeth are properly 'U' shaped, while others have a flat side (just like the Slime Ball's DWs) that causes the DW to get stuck between dates (which usually happens on the few dates where the numbers were printed correctly). I would pass on that, especially since it is in Italy & is not in a sealed Rolex pack.

Yep stilty, I see what you mean. Here's the 1570 datewheel- same progression as the 3035

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Vintage-60s-ROLEX...1QQcmdZViewItem

I had thought the 3035 and 3135 turned in the same direction (also same as the ETA). And I would have figured the 3055 DW would go the same way as the 3035....