When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Back from Ziggy's Spa... Modded+ 1680 Eye Candy...

seadweller3

OK gents... sorry for the delay. Here's my modded MBW 1680:

Crown guards milled (inner and outer)

Gen crown/tube

Gen Tropic 127 crystal

Gen bezel and insert

Gen bracelet with 580's (restored by Rob)

Lume of dial and hands (nice light cream color)

46555776.jpg

af5f4a40.jpg

5d399adc.jpg

f2222d83.jpg

848fb2d8.jpg

f854ea60.jpg

99a8a853.jpg

7f836ae6.jpg

e9691239.jpg

e8d00ffc.jpg

f0faa3d7.jpg

94f35a4f.jpg

9a5f1400.jpg

de075027.jpg

I hope you enjoyed! ;)

Looks great and has all the mods needed!

Enjoy it, I'm sure you will anyway.

Great to hear about the 580 endlinks.

Thanks for the information!

Cheers

Stephane

Thanks, Stephane. ;)

Can't think of any other mods other than a gen dial which really doesn't make sense now that Rob has worked this one to where I wanted it. Gen movement just doesn't make valuable sense to me. Date wheel change, from what I understand, is a royal hassle and can be dangerous. Anything I am missing?

The only thing else you could do is drill the lugholes to the correct size and use the Rolex springbars. I agree that there is no point in using a gen movement and gen dials are out of sight these days- esp. the red ones. I guess it's time to enjoy your watch! Cheers!

The only thing else you could do is drill the lugholes to the correct size and use the Rolex springbars. I agree that there is no point in using a gen movement and gen dials are out of sight these days- esp. the red ones. I guess it's time to enjoy your watch! Cheers!

Ooops, should have mentioned... that's already been done. :D

Watch looks great, wear it well. This is a thought and I mention it because I can't see the fliplock in the photos but I remember reading that the safety fliplock clasp should not have two lines etched in them on vintage bracelets but the reps do. Someone smoothed them out on a rep bracelet and the results looked very good. I am working from memory here and hope my info is accurate (and makes sense!) anyway just a suggestion for a little mod to make a great watch even better.

All the best, Dieselpower.

I'm a little late to this party... but... this looks AWESOME. I have a lot of watches, but no Rollies. Been starting to get the bug lately and investigating all the mods needed... With work, obviously, you can get a fantastic piece. So, here's the question-- if you don't mind me asking (if you do, don't answer ;) ) -- when all's said and done, what did you spend on this including paying The Zigmeister etc?

I'm a little late to this party... but... this looks AWESOME. I have a lot of watches, but no Rollies. Been starting to get the bug lately and investigating all the mods needed... With work, obviously, you can get a fantastic piece. So, here's the question-- if you don't mind me asking (if you do, don't answer ;) ) -- when all's said and done, what did you spend on this including paying The Zigmeister etc?

PM sent. ;)

OK gents... I think I have decided to splurge and buy a gen dial for my baby. Whata ya think? Is it worth it?

My watch is perfect (to me at least) with the exception of the dial. I think if I land a gen red dial, it will be as close to the real deal as possible. Thoughts and pinions' are appreciated! B)

If you have a money tree, sure why not. In the end your watch would only fool the same 99% it would with the MBW dial. Personally I would buy a genuine white letter sub with your cash instead. A good Red Sub dial is major $$$.

Was this the watch posted on VRF?

If you have a money tree, sure why not. In the end your watch would only fool the same 99% it would with the MBW dial. Personally I would buy a genuine white letter sub with your cash instead. A good Red Sub dial is major $$$.

Was this the watch posted on VRF?

Do you mean a gen white letter dial? I am considering that for sure as you are correct... the red dials are outrageous!!!

The bigger question is... will the gen dial install on this watch without issues? I know the feet need to go but I don't know how risky that is?

And, yes.

Yes a genuine white 1680. The reds are crazy $$$ and just an unfinished dial would cost many thousands.

If you try to fit a 1680 dial into the MBW it will be garbage (resale) and that's not good. You would ruin the red dial trying to put it into a MBW case because the date dials are 1mm or so larger and would have to be trimmed down. On the other hand NDTrading's case would accept the genuine dial, but they are BIG $$$ for aftermarket cases.

Go for a 5513 dial since that's what the MBW case was copied from. They look better anyway in my opinion and you can always resell it later. A 5513 dial would fit perfectly without modification. That's my plan when or if the dollar ever comes back. :(

Yes a genuine white 1680. The reds are crazy $$$ and just an unfinished dial would cost many thousands.

If you try to fit a 1680 dial into the MBW it will be garbage (resale) and that's not good. You would ruin the red dial trying to put it into a MBW case because the date dials are 1mm or so larger and would have to be trimmed down. On the other hand NDTrading's case would accept the genuine dial, but they are BIG $$$ for aftermarket cases.

Go for a 5513 dial since that's what the MBW case was copied from. They look better anyway in my opinion and you can always resell it later. A 5513 dial would fit perfectly without modification. That's my plan when or if the dollar ever comes back. :(

Thanks for the input! B)

I don't know if I could live w/o the date function though. I forgot about the dial size difference as well. I wonder how one would trim a gen dial?

If you put it on a ETA movement the gen dial will become garbage, as you'll have to trim the dial feet.

And about the gen 1680 dial, with a little MBW case rework it would fit, usually franken 1680 are build this way

And, yes.

It wasn't a good idea to post the pics on VRF btw..

take a deep deep breath ....

and leave the watch as it is ...

take the money an bye a vintage Seadweller or an other nice watch .

if you want perfection - you need more then a gen dial ;)

the watch is nice as it is :)

nobody will call you out - except members of Replica and Gen Rolex forums :lol:

Frank

take the money an bye a vintage Seadweller or an other nice watch .

if you want perfection - you need more then a gen dial ;)

the watch is nice as it is :)

nobody will call you out - except members of Replica and Gen Rolex forums :lol:

Frank

You're right Frank, and thank you for the words of wisdom. ;)

Time to move on and find a gen insert for my SSD and then have the CG's modded. :D

:lol: SD3, slowly step away from the replica sir!

I cant believe these posts today with gen 1950 dials and reds going in reps. One will certainly never be able to keep up with the Johnson's around here!

If the stem, endices, emblem, and second hand hadnt fallen off, and the rotten, plated, lead bracelet didn't pose a sepsis threat, i'd give up now and strap on my fake Tag link from 1994 and take a wristy while holding up a white flag with RWG written on it. :lol: