When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bye Bye Aussie.....

migiandone

That penalty was a disgrace. Ref decided to give the win to Italy. Embarrassing, totally embarrassing.

The penalty was fair. That is what happens to defenders that dive at the ball and get nowhere close. It is too bad the game was desided this way, but shame on the defender for leaving the ref no choice.

And I agree, another terrible red card.

Embarassing like the red to Materassi......

I agree, that red was unjustified as well. I don't like the way refs decide the games. Calls like these make the whole sport look stupid...it becomes complete lottery.

The penalty was fair.

I wonder if it was the same game we were watching. Neill went down long before Grosso had gotten to him, which was stupid in its own right. Grosso then played it around him, and leapt over him. Now, that was the strange part to me. Neill was just an immobile body at the edge of the 6. If Grosso wanted, im sure he could've just gone around him, but instead he leapt, and it almost seemed like he dragged his left foot down intentionally to catch Neill's body and fall.

That was a horrible penalty call.

Edited by By-Tor

I agree, that red was unjustified as well. I don't like the way refs decide the games. Calls like these make the whole sport look stupid...it becomes complete lottery.

I agree with you By-Tor, soccer is a rude game, now every takle is a yellow or red card,

we are not playing volley!!!! :bangin:

I wonder if it was the same game we were watching. Neill went down long before Grosso had gotten to him, which was stupid in its own right. Grosso then played it around him, and leapt over him. Now, that was the strange part to me. Neill was just an immobile body at the edge of the 6. If Grosso wanted, im sure he could've just gone around him, but instead he leapt, and it almost seemed like he dragged his left foot down intentionally to catch Neill's body and fall.

That was a horrible penalty call.

You must have a very different defination of "long before" than what is commonly accepted. :lol:

The point is at this level, you can't dive in at a player's feet and miss the ball and not expect to get a penalty called. Was it the worst foul in the box I've seen this tournament? No, in fact, I've seen worse that were not called, but that does not make this a nonpenalty. It is a shame for a game like this to be determined this way, but that is the nature of the game. As a defender, you can't put the ref in the situation of having to make that judgement.

Australia deserved the win, it was not a penalty.

I must say that I wanted the Aussies to prevail, but I thought the Italians created the better opportunities and had more quality chances to score. The Aussies controlled the midfield in the second half, but really failed to capitalize on the man advantage and turn that into scoring chances.

Ultimately, the team the "deserves" to win is the team that scores the most.

Edited by robertrinaustin

The drive into the box -- and the dive -- were calculated moves. You can also call it smart soccer. In order of italian preference, the order is:

1) if you are very lucky, you get a goal.

2) if you don't score but can create "an incident," you get a penalty kick.

3) If you don't score and don't get a penalty kick, then you go into overtime.

Or, the one bad outcome,

4) You take a dive and get called for bad acting.

In this case #2 happened. It was a desperation move, because the Italians were not able to score otherwise on a feisty Australian unit. Even if you say it was a legitimate call, it was certain that if the Italian could not score, he was going to go down.

Acting has a role in many sports, whether in basketball, where talented players can draw fouls, or American football where pass interference or holding often rely on interpretation -- and the skill of the player who is the "victim" of the foul.

One final point. The Aussies did not score, and therefore had no chance to win outright. As in many, many situations, if you don't win outright, the outcome will be up to chance. In this instance chance came down on the Italian side.

One final point. The Aussies did not score, and therefore had no chance to win outright. As in many, many situations, if you don't win outright, the outcome will be up to chance. In this instance chance came down on the Italian side.

You're quite right about this. You can have all the possession in the world, but you've got to score. Australia couldn't, and given the amount of possession they should have created better chances.

They were fortunate to have been playing against 10 men for forty minutes - it was a massive advantage to have Luca Toni (who I rate) substituted for another defender. (Lippi left on Del Piero, so it was like a double boost for Australia!).

If Australia couldn't score in normal time, I didn't really see it happening in extra time either - Italy can soak up pressure all night long. And then, as you say, it comes down to chance.

It was seriously cruel to go out to a non-penalty with the last kick of the game - but even without it some different cruelty could just have come a few minutes later in extra time.

Congrats Italy! I hope they do really well - they are a superb team. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And I understand Prime Minister Howard has just left on a mercy flight to the US... sole intention to convince his mate George, to immediately declare war on Italy. ( If ya can't beat 'em- bomb 'em!) :p:D:p:D

Offshore

PS I'm with you Ken.. back to AFL... at least we can beat the Irish... and nobody else wants to play us!

Offshore

Its how sport is, chance comes knocking, italy was reduced to 10 men by the 48th minute with a bad red card. If you dont take that chance and win then and there, chance knocks elsewhere, and for this instance came knocking right on italy's door, and they opened it.

Too bad most of the australian team will be retiring from international, the 2010 WC will be puzzled together by alot of young players. I'm very proud of the australian side who only had less than 1 year to get their act together under hiddink and making it to Round of 16 of WC is not easy.

btw, Hiddink has achieved GOD status in my eyes. What a coach he is, less talk, more action, less drama, more results. Poor Neil, by far the best defender in this WC, how ironic how the hero became, if put harshly, the villian.....

Congratulations Italy, your star Totti didn't disappoint, nailed that ball left pigeon.

Lippi left on Del Piero, so it was like a double boost for Australia!).

So funny, and so true :lol:

It wasn't a classy outcome, but when Totti netted I felt a sense of justice. South Korea 4 years ago.... the 'golden goal' Trezeguet scored in Euro 2000, the final against Brazil in '94.... I have had too many heartaches, so I hope the tide of fortune has finally turned our way.....