When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Italy as the source for counterfeit items

sssurfer

To anyone who may care, on next sunday the Italian TV is going to show that the high-level replica bags & clothes are actually made in Napoli, Italy, by handcraft artisans, then sent to China for world sale. :lol:

It will be on a very reliable and reputed TV report, named (oh well) exactly "Report".

It's not specifically about watches, rather about bags & suits... but as this section is "General discussion about replicas"... :D

South of Italy is still in the business ! :lol:

I remember when we went on holiday when I was a child, sellers trying to sell watches to my father while having a rest on the highway...

We had a French license plate, but once my father insulted them in Napolitan dialect, we always managed to get some good discount ! :lol:

The fact that these bags would be done in Italy is certainly a good explanation for the higher quality noticed in the counterfeits. ^_^

post-4381-1210676574_thumb.jpg

@Ken: don't panic, my friend. :) This will demostrate that anyone who wants good, really Italian hand-made items, has to go for the replicas rather than the gens. :lol:

It is well known that Gucci, D&G, etc, have 95% of their parts made in China. They just keep a very minor part made in Italy just in order to stay allowed to use the "Made in Italy" mark.

Now, knowing that the very "Made in Italy" and handcrafted items are actually the replica items, is going to put everything under a very interesting light... isn't it?

@Pix: :lol: Nothing more true (truer?) than your tale!

There was a recent documentary on National Geographic about the global illicit goods trade and they spent a good chunk of it talking about Italy, and they mentioned that quite a few of the clothes are made there. They even show the bolts of fabric coming in and the artisans using custom made die's to print the correct designs on the fabrics to evade customs. I'll be interested to see this show as well.

The best levis copies and lacoste have always come from Italy and Turkey. Many years ago almost 30 in fact we used to bring copy Rolex and Cartier from Italy to sell in the UK they were as good or better than the copies we see today with actual swiss movements and also in solid gold as well as stainless and 2 tone. There are still some very high end items produced there in leather and for some reason Montblanc pens. There is also very nice gold items of jewelery copies of Cartier etc coming from there still, the best thing of course from there are shoes

It is well known that Gucci, D&G, etc, have 95% of their parts made in China. They just keep a very minor part made in Italy just in order to stay allowed to use the "Made in Italy" mark.

That's because of the stupid law that allows the "made in italy" mark if the last 5% is really made in italy

More or less what happens with "swiss made" if the 50% of the watch has been made and assembled in Switzerland.

How could small switzerland to produce 1.000.000 new rolex cases a year ^_^

Ok here's a little secret for you all there are a number of members on these boards that sell on a fairly large scale in Italy, but they source from our dealers.

So no I doubt there is a replica cottage industry in Italy itself, for one thing their laws are amongst the harshest around so it would be stupid to set up a manufacturer there.

Ken

That's because of the stupid law that allows the "made in italy" mark if the last 5% is really made in italy

Agree.

Just consider that 99% of other laws (and all things, for that matter) in Italy are even more stupid.

So no I doubt there is a replica cottage industry in Italy itself, for one thing their laws are amongst the harshest around so it would be stupid to set up a manufacturer there.

Harsh laws are the least of all concerns to Italian people, Ken.

When you don't even get a confessed multiple killer in jail for more than 3 years, why should you care for laws on fakes?

When you get thousands criminals released in a snap because prisons are too crowded to get others, and an idiot pope just suggested it, why should you care about laws?

Besides of that, Naples boasts of a honoured and long-standing tradition for living on illegal items. :D

Agree.

Just consider that 99% of other laws (and all things, for that matter) in Italy are even more stupid.

of a honoured and long-standing tradition for living on illegal items. :D

eheh yeah, It's not the only country with stupid things, but I pretty agree.. I see it every day :whistling: