When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm wondering too...regulars who don't contribute bucks

I'd like to hear the rationale from long time members who don't support RWG through their fiscal contributions. Membership status can be had by throwing in less than $0.15 per day.

What are your reasons...sloth...oversight...it's not worth it...some other reason???? Is it the cash???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. if they're spending the $$$ on reps then it might be safe to assume it's not about the cash. In saying that however, the member may have several valid reasons for why they choose not to contribute financially to the forum.

Yeah...that's my point...not to shame or "out" anyone but to hear the reasons. I remeber a thread that digressed into this topic a while back and there were some spirited arguments against contributing. I just wanted to hear them in a clearer forum.

My thoughts,

I have received way more than what I have given back.

I have bought many items that would not be available for sale anywhere else and I have made friends that have given me items for free that have helped me complete projects. When you are in a pinch and someone you have never met steps up and helps you out, you cant put a price on that. Since I spend so much of my time here, for me being a supporter was just the right thing to do.

in my case its quite anoying. i want to renew my membership, but when i want to pay with my credit card, im forwarded to my banks homepage to verify, and that homepage doesnt fully work on mac. So i cant f...... renew it.

in my case its quite anoying. i want to renew my membership, but when i want to pay with my credit card, im forwarded to my banks homepage to verify, and that homepage doesnt fully work on mac. So i cant f...... renew it.

You could always use a friends computer? :D

I haven't contributed yet in part because there is a minimum that, though I don't recall what it is, was more than I wanted to give. If I end up buying or selling a watch through this forum I will donate or if the minimum is removed I will for sure donate sooner. I didn't really care about the "benefits" though to be honest I don't remember what they were.

I think RWI has a good carrot-carrot approach. There is no minimum and you must contribute to access the unlimited sales forum. My curiosity got the best of me and I contributed $10. That I felt comfortable spending.

At some point I will probably contribute here if I remain active in the hobby (though it seems every time I offer my opinion on the QC issue I am told this is the wrong hobby for me - maybe they are right). I use this forum quite a bit and the technical information is second to none.

Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents as I've have an opinion towards this subject. There are a few reasons why I haven't donated to RWG and become a contributing member. They are as follows in no particular order.

1. Just have been lazy. Yeah, I know doesn't seem much of an excuse...

2. At times I feel "pressured" to contribute towards this forum (I'll expand on this later).

3. I personally jumped in to this rep world with both feet first and had a bad experience and now I've become cautious of getting more involved. This, of course, has nothing to do with RWG, but it's made me a bit more jaded with regards to pouring more money into reps and the rep world in general.

Regarding my comment #2. I won't mention names, but I've probably contributed/purchased/donated a few bucks into raffles and such on other forums. Really, it's not about the money that I haven't contributed, but I have run into instances where I've been targeted with sly remarks about contributing. I feel they were completely uncalled for and uncessary. Personally, this has given me pressure that I feel shouldn't exist. I agree with everyone on how valuable this place is and all the great members I've already gotten the honor of knowing and learning from, but I don't agree that such comments should be directed at any member whatsoever. Sure it's true that this place is invaluable and that those who feel "compelled" to show their gratitude can, but I don't agree that people should feel "obligated" to do so. I'm a member of many forums and so far I've yet to be pressured into donating a penny.

Now I know I will probably catch a lot of flack for my comments and my sentiments, but I can only be honest with regards to my personal feeling on this matter. Don't get me wrong there are times when I feel the heck with it and think I should just donate to get it over with, but then I realize that I shouldn't be pressued into this or anything else for that matter. So, all this has at times made me want to part ways with the rep thing entirely, but in all honesty my curiosity get's the better of me and I continue to return. Who knows I may just throw in the contribution so that I can proudly become a "true" member, but the fact that this issue exists pushes me off into the sidelines to look from a distance.

I haven't contributed yet in part because there is a minimum that, though I don't recall what it is, was more than I wanted to give. If I end up buying or selling a watch through this forum I will donate or if the minimum is removed I will for sure donate sooner. I didn't really care about the "benefits" though to be honest I don't remember what they were.

I think RWI has a good carrot-carrot approach. There is no minimum and you must contribute to access the unlimited sales forum. My curiosity got the best of me and I contributed $10. That I felt comfortable spending.

At some point I will probably contribute here if I remain active in the hobby (though it seems every time I offer my opinion on the QC issue I am told this is the wrong hobby for me - maybe they are right). I use this forum quite a bit and the technical information is second to none.

Spend the money on your house first. :D

In my opinion it is not binding to contribute, everybody should say for himself to do it or not. And if not contributed, so what.

Agreed...the purpose of the question was to hear opinion....personally I throw in $20/month but since my rep habit is several hundreds if not thousands per year, it seems in proportion.

On my mac it works great! ;-)

Simple answer for me. I don't have a Moneybrokers account and I won't agree to a reoccurring credit card charge. I want to be able to decide whether I send a renew payment or not without having to cancel the autopay prior to charge date.

If I could use PayPal or send a one time credit card payment, I would have already done so months ago.

Hi i have spent countless days just reading the info on this forum.

The info is invaluble to a noob like me not forgetting the awesome photography skills of the members.Iwould more than be happy to contribute to become a VIP member but i do not have a credit card and im not sure this forum accepts Paypal

so im stuck.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers Del

At the end of the day, I think that's up to the person themself, and they should not have to justify, explain or expand on their reasons, as those reasons are personal to them.

All the time the forum is accessible for free, I don't think people should be 'encouraged' (feels a lot more like being coerced) to donate.

That said, I would say that if someone has genuinely benefited from the community, ie straps, new watch etc etc, then it doesn't hurt to make a contribution as a way of saying thanks. Lets not forget though, that there are also non-financial contributions which people can make, by reviews and the like.

Personally, I would have contributed much earlier, and much more, had I not been down a considerable sum of money thanks to a business deal which was not honored, so for some time, I was trying to re-coup that loss, as well as having more important outgoings, such as vet bills, so I had to prioritize, and I make no apology for that, as that is an explanation, not an excuse.

Always interesting to read other's views though :)

From what I know, its just a one off payment, and then you have to pay again to renew your subscription?

Not true. When I click on the upgrade button and the link to pay with credit card, I have to agree to setup a reoccurring payment. I won't do that. Especially with the way the USD has been performing lately. Who's to say the 30 euro won't be worth 100, or 200, or a bizillion USD in a year.