When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My best strap making accomplishment to date!

rcrscom

First, let me start off by saying that this strap is not for sale. Long story short, I met a holster maker that had a ton made with exotic hides. He told me he'd send me some scraps to mess around with... fast forward to a week later, I get a box in the mail and lo and behold, there are some scraps! Included in the box are stingray, ostrich, buffalo, lizard, hippo, gator, tiger shark, and elephant. The only ones I think I have enough to make straps from are the stingray, gator, ostrich and maybe tiger shark. The elephant came in black and gray... out of the black, I think I can make 2, maybe 3 out of, the gray was this one, and that was using some creative mapping out! lol anyways, enough talk and on to the pics!

The leftovers of the gray elephant hide:

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02081.jpg

DSC02082.jpg

DSC02083.jpg

DSC02084.jpg

i em amazed to see i em the only one to get sick in my stomac by this

Included in the box are stingray, ostrich, buffalo, lizard, hippo, gator, tiger shark, and elephant.

wtf in this times when we now have bad we have been in the past against this animals still people whant this types straps or leather produckts??

Guest carlsbadrolex

Included in the box are stingray, ostrich, buffalo, lizard, hippo, gator, tiger shark, and elephant.

wtf in this times when we now have bad we have been in the past against this animals still people whant this types straps or leather produckts??

I am waiting to be struck by lightening or something... Please dont tell me that Dani and I agree on something? I was not originally so direct and to the point... but several of the animals that you have mentioned really have no reason to be worn as a watch strap.

I am not an animal rights activist, a Vegan, or even a very environmentally conscious person. But I personally could never wear such things.

I am waiting to be struck by lightening or something... Please dont tell me that Dani and I agree on something? I was not originally so direct and to the point... but several of the animals that you have mentioned really have no reason to be worn as a watch strap.

I am not an animal rights activist, a Vegan, or even a very environmentally conscious person. But I personally could never wear such things.

I can understand your sentiments, as I was curious as to the origins of the hides. I can assure you, these were not black or even gray market hides and were purchased from properly licensed importers. Elephant hide boots, belts and gun holsters are offered by big name corporations, as well as the little guy...

I can understand your sentiments, as I was curious as to the origins of the hides. I can assure you, these were not black or even gray market hides and were purchased from properly licensed importers. Elephant hide boots, belts and gun holsters are offered by big name corporations, as well as the little guy...

If no one buy it or use it the leather has no value in a black,white or grey marked hens my bad stomac felling on this.

Nuff said.

If no one buy it or use it the leather has no value in a black,white or grey marked hens my bad stomac felling on this.

Nuff said.

We can agree to disagree.... The same thing can be said about the both of us and our involvement in a large scale counterfeiting operation, whether we want to call them homages, replicas, fakes or counterfeits.

We can agree to disagree.... The same thing can be said about the both of us and our involvement in a large scale counterfeiting operation, whether we want to call them homages, replicas, fakes or counterfeits.

Reps VS endangerd animals :rolleyes:

Ok a nuff from me in this thread i have said what i think of this subject.

I agree on this one with Dani..

More than 300+ straps have passed through my hands and none of them was exotic.

You can have a nice dicverse and fullfiling collection without killing poor animals.

Nevertheless nice looking strap indeed.

With the exotics I look at it this way, if the animal was killed for a reason (over population, in a game reserve or the like, or perhaps died due to other natural reason) then thats fine. IN fact I suspect there must be some sort welfare group doing just this. Or is it okay to kill some animals like gators, crocs or sharks but big cuddly elephants, pangolins and manchester united fans are unacceptable. I am just curious as to the rational behind the comments that all. BTW, it is a great looking strap.

With the exotics I look at it this way, if the animal was killed for a reason (over population, in a game reserve or the like, or perhaps died due to other natural reason) then thats fine. IN fact I suspect there must be some sort welfare group doing just this. Or is it okay to kill some animals like gators, crocs or sharks but big cuddly elephants, pangolins and manchester united fans are unacceptable. I am just curious as to the rational behind the comments that all. BTW, it is a great looking strap.

I agree... why is it ok to wear gator, which at one time an endangered species in the US, but now overpopulating. Elephants were also at one time endangered, but now in some parts of Africa are overpopulated... Shall the ones that die from natural causes, or culled from overpopulation be left to rot or even buried?

If we're going to take the activist stance, I'd like to take into question the origins of the diamonds on these bling bezels, in your jewelry, and even in your wives' rings! The things human beings, our very own species, are going through to make these glittery rocks available to us, I would say is fairly unethical, no? Now, instead of comparing reps to animals, we're comparing humans to animals... What's your take on on that???

I for one I am not gonna judge you.. No one is a saint, so no reason to try and find alternative 'bad things' we wear. (either diamonds, or clothes made in bangladesh by 10 y.o. etc etc). We all do it.

If you feel comfortable wearing an elephant strap good for you. I personally don't.

But since it is a controversial subject and you asked our open opinion here in the forum do not expect everyone to endorse it.

I for one I am not gonna judge you.. No one is a saint, so no reason to try and find alternative 'bad things' we wear. (either diamonds, or clothes made in bangladesh by 10 y.o. etc etc). We all do it.

If you feel comfortable wearing an elephant strap good for you. I personally don't.

But since it is a controversial subject and you asked our open opinion here in the forum do not expect everyone to endorse it.

I hear ya man... and what I was saying wasn't directed at you, just in general really. As you said, no one is a saint, and if we all look in our personal lives, there are things that originated in questionable ways. I know the elephant strap that I wear was probably obtained more ethically than the Nikes I wear that were manufactured by kids in a sweat shop. As I said earlier, let's all agree to disagree...

BTW, you gotta tell me where you got ahold of that Metta leather!

Edited by rcrscom

ManU fans are ok just don't make leather straps out of them :rofl:

I agree... why is it ok to wear gator, which at one time an endangered species in the US, but now overpopulating. Elephants were also at one time endangered, but now in some parts of Africa are overpopulated... Shall the ones that die from natural causes, or culled from overpopulation be left to rot or even buried?

If we're going to take the activist stance, I'd like to take into question the origins of the diamonds on these bling bezels, in your jewelry, and even in your wives' rings! The things human beings, our very own species, are going through to make these glittery rocks available to us, I would say is fairly unethical, no? Now, instead of comparing reps to animals, we're comparing humans to animals... What's your take on on that???

Elephants are at no point ok to wear, exotic leathers and people that use them are supporting illegal trade as their is a easy way to stop it DON'T WEAR OR USE IT then their will be no marked for it..I support the burning of such leathers if a animal dies in zoo or in the wild..

If you have such low selfastime that you need to dress up in gator shoes and elephant straps then i fell sorry for you..

Diamonds i don't use but i do now mostly humans are suffering over this trade we are like a gassilion people on this planet so not a thing i worry about to much. :p But i do agree that more questions shoud be asked on this prod..

You see i whant my grandchildren to experince the wild and all the animals that lives their, this is why i comit so much time and effort trying to convince people its wrong to use such leathers..

I think the strap you made looks damn good in the way its build, i just don't like the leather its made of..

and to this remark

Africa are overpopulated

Yes Africa is but not by animals.

Cheers

ManU fans are ok just don't make leather straps out of them :rofl:

Elephants are at no point ok to wear, exotic leathers and people that use them are supporting illegal trade as their is a easy way to stop it DON'T WEAR OR USE IT then their will be no marked for it..I support the burning of such leathers if a animal dies in zoo or in the wild..

If you have such low selfastime that you need to dress up in gator shoes and elephant straps then i fell sorry for you..

Diamonds i don't use but i do now mostly humans are suffering over this trade we are like a gassilion people on this planet so not a thing i worry about to much. :p But i do agree that more questions shoud be asked on this prod..

You see i whant my grandchildren to experince the wild and all the animals that lives their, this is why i comit so much time and effort trying to convince people its wrong to use such leathers..

I think the strap you made looks damn good in the way its build, i just don't like the leather its made of..

and to this remark

Africa are overpopulated

Yes Africa is but not by animals.

Cheers

Dude, I think it has nothing to do with self esteem... People have differences in tastes, is what it boils down to. Maybe in the world you live in, exotic hides are all black market, but in the real world, tons of exotic hides, including elephant, are traded legally and ethically. Do I agree that there is a dark side to the exotic hides trade? Absolutely! I made sure this was legally obtained before I took ownership of it. Parts of Africa are overpopulated by elephants, just as Florida is overpopulated by alligators from over conservationism (is that even a word?).

I can respect your stance and your opinions, as they are yours to have, but please don't push your beliefs on to me.