When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need a rep crown tube for a SSD

Isn't the SSD case tube/crown assembly a copy of the gen? If it is, you could use the Clark's (nostalgia2000 on the bay) case tube- 24-7030-0- but you do have to tap the hole in the case cause the Clark's tube is also delicate- I've broke a few myself. Might also have to countersink the case slightly so that the tube will sit in there properly. This would also be a good oppurtunity to upgrade to a gen crown with the aftermarket tube.

Maybe someone else can confirm if the SSD crown and tube are copies of the gen, for sure.

Thanks guys. I've never used a tap or countersink so I would like to try to find a rep tube to keep things simple on this one.

Hopefully someone will have a rep tube left after replacing theirs. ;) Otherwise I'll go the gen route.

There are a number of aftermarket tubes used in reps & unless you can locate the same 1 that was originally installed in your rep, you may very well have to re-drill and/or retap the hole either way. This of course assumes that whoever assembled your particular watch did not cross-thread the original aftermarket tube's threads, which would cause you to have to retap the hole anyway.

On the positive side, a tap is essentially just a long screw made out of hardened steel (so it will cut new threads into the adjoining metal) that you screw into the existing hole. You screw it in a turn & then back it out a bit, then screw it in a turn & back it out a bit.....until you make it all the way through. Voila'. Nice, new threads. Then just screw in the new tube & you are done.

I snapped the tube in two reinserting it. Just got done with all the mods and then this. Does anyone have a rep SSD tube that they might part with/sell? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

If you want to try a rep tube, I have a couple that I can send you.

• 3 weeks later...