When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A tale of two Nautilus

manuel

Ok, I am posting this review since I have just got a new mbk nautilus from Eurotimez.

Eurotimez did her best to get the most accurate nautilus and I am very happy with it.

I alredy have a mbk nautilus so I am just comparing my old version with this one..yes mbk watches are sometimes different and its not only in dial but in clasp details and crown.

Both Nautilus are the jumbo version..The mbk nautilus is by far one of the best reps out there...

Both watches have the dark dial with dots instead of chapter ring...but I have just discovered that one is dark grey and other is black..both dials are fabulous.

The newer version is still wraped in plastic:

img1745cy5.jpg

As you can see one is black and other is dark grey almost black..Prior to seeing the new version I thought mine was black but now i see mine is grey or dark grey almost black or whatever...

img1757ks9.jpg

The clasp detail on the newer version is better I think.

img1764xw8.jpg

The crown is a bit different, but it is very hard to appreciate.

img1753wl6.jpg

The back of the watches are the same.

img1758es3.jpg

and now some pictures in the sunlight:

img1778bz4.jpg

Edited by manuel

Ok Which dial you like best?

Which one do u think is more accurate?

I certainly dont know, since there have been variations..at least I know mine is very good.

And now some pics of the genuine:

pp370001sd1.jpg

this is the clasp of the genuine, in the rep the clasp is the newer style, butterfly clasp which belongs to the newer and smaller in size nautilus, ie the 3800.

pp3700o4ym7.jpg

And this is a description of the watch, from the same seller of the gen nautilus:

When the Patek Philippe Nautilus originally debuted in 1976, collectors were scandalized at the high retail price for a stainless steel watch. The price was almost the same as similar 18k gold watches. Having this watch in your hands is like stepping back to 1976, being in new old stock condition. My first thought in handling it, was to imagine what it must have been like, to be back in 1977 in a Patek dealer's store, examining the oversized, new steel watch priced like it was made in gold. Neither Patek nor its customers back then could have forseen the success the Nautilus would achieve. Gerald Genta achieved fame for himself when he designed this watch - and his still has been shining ever since.

Well, this Nautilus is something special. It's condition is new old stock - mint++. It's a rare opportunity indeed to own such an influencial watch in such great condition.

Case is stainless steel with dimensions of 40.6mm wide by 42mm long by 7.6mm thick. Sapphire crystal. Patek introduced the Nautilus as a sports watch to fill a void in their model line. The case is water resistant to 120 meters (but please think twice before bringing such an important vintage watch into the water...).

Bracelet is integral to the case, has a flip lock safety clasp, and will fit up to a 7.75 inch wrist.

Both the bracelet and case are very clean and in mint++ condition.

Dial is black with horizontal channeling, applied hour markers with luminous, and the date at 3 o'clock.

Movement is the automatic winding Patek Philippe Caliber 28 255C with 36 jewels, adjusted to 5 positions and heat/cold, and stamped with the Geneva Seal. The movement features a free-sprung balance and an 18k rotor segment for increased winding efficiency.

Antiquorum last auctioned a 3700/1 in their July 2006 auction which realized a price of $30,680.

Edited by manuel

There are many MBK interpretations of this watch, and that, coupled to the Chinese clone versions, can cause a LOT of confusion. I always wanted to make a Nautilus guide but I myself honestly have no idea what's going on. You have several different types of crown length and styles, and also different types of datewheels... it is a mess. Anyone thinking of getting an MBK Nautilus should really be aware that there are a LOT of different versions. There is also a very rare version available somewhere that has the correct "dot" layout as per the gen...

Narikaa version:

(In my opinion the best as it has the vintage-style crown, breathtaking smoky blue face, and eye-catching details)

dsc09584oe0.jpg

dsc09585vs4.jpg

dsc09586gr6.jpg

dsc07177ou6.jpg

Ok Which dial you like best?

They both look great, and I really like th old-style clasp cover.

But I prefer mine in Dark Grey, looks better with a black suit IMHO.

If there was one gen I would buy if I could afford it, this is the one.

I consider my rep as a salute to Gerald Genta's talents. Someday, maybe -

Here a couple shots of my MBK PPN

post-22-1212862383_thumb.jpg post-22-1212862335_thumb.jpg

IMO the MBK versions of this watch, new ones or old ones, are still the best rep made.

The slight variations in the two MBK models that Manuel shows are minimal, both look like great pieces.

The CN versions are NO WHERE near as nice as these MBK's. The ongoing discussion about which models are closest to gen is moot. None of the current available reps are correct when compared to the gen. Too many inaccuracies to even mention.

These MBK's actually most closely resembles the 3700-1A, or the 3800-1A. The case size of this model was 38mm however, and the Jumbo 3700 and 3800 models (without seconds hand) were 42mm.

I recently viewed an auction sale for a 3800-1A that was made in 1995, considered excellent condition...it sold for 14,000.00. It looked EXACTLY like the MBK, but it is only 38mm. It is the 3700 and 3800 Jumbos (no center seconds) that get the huge dough...from 50,000.00 and up.

Nevertheless, IMO the rep MBK PPN is the best watch available in the rep world when it comes to overall QC in fabrication and finish.

I recently handled a gen 5800-1A (36-38mm x 8mm). The retail price was 21,500.00

The 43mm 5711 (with center seconds) retails for 27,500.00

And the 5700 series of chronos starts at 35,00.00

The gen dial on this watch was UNREAL. A beautiful translucent Black/pearl/grey. It sparkled at changed facets in the light. Much more brillant than the rep dials. However, I must say that after handling and wearing the 5800-1A, it made me appreciate even more the quality of fabrication in the MBK PPN.

The dial on my Nautilus is BLACK. I actually ordered a replacement for the dial that I received, because I wanted it to be more perfect than the one that came on the watch. The replacement is as good as I can imagine. I sent the watch off to Mr. Z, for the dial swap and full service of the eta movement, and I now own the most perfect... imperfect rep.

If the MBK PPN is now available thru a number of dealers, then so much the better for those of us that love this watch. Buy it...you will love it too.

This is by far my favorite rep, I also was thinking to buy another one but different dial... but I thought that was too much.

For those than are thinking to buy one, they should be aware that some of the MBK nautilus come with a crappy movement, which it

New version looks great! The printing looks sooo much better. Angle of the lugs looks quite different as well - any difference in how the bracelet lies?

Now the only tribulation is choosing between the black or blue dial!?!

Thanks for the review, very helpful to us prospective buyers. :clap:

3711/G is the 42mm Jumbo size, but with larger indicies/hands AND seconds hand. Case is also 18K WG. It's a nice mix between the old 3700 style case with 5711 characteristics/details. Oh, and there's no mistaking the WG case; looks much different that SS, especially in person ;)

To clear off some doubts, the AD offered the buyers to have the Nautilus with or without the seconds hand; there's something more to this but I don't know how it goes. With so many Nautilus variations and the little knowledge people have about Patek Philippe watches no one will call you out. Unless it's a Patek buff... but with the many variations of this watch, again, I doubt they will call you out. :)

Sorry, but that is incorrect information. The 3700's 28-255C is based on the JLC 920 is an hour/minutes movement only; no seconds. The 3711 used the 315SC, which IS a hour/minutes/seconds caliber...

That said, the presence of a seconds hand is model based, and not something that a customer could simply specify within the 3700 series, per se.

Absolutely- Each Nautilus model uses a different caliber-

3700: 28 255C (hours/minutes/date)

3710: 330 SC IZR ((hours/minutes/seconds/date/PR)

3711: 315 SC (hours/minutes/seconds/date)

3712: 240 PS IRM (hours/minutes/seconds/date/PR/moonphase)

3800: 330 SC (hours/minutes/seconds/date)

5711: 315 SC (hours/minutes/seconds/date)

5712: 240 PS IRM C LU (hours/minutes/seconds/date/PR/moonphase)

5780: 28 520 C (hours/minutes/seconds/date/chronograph)

All the best :)

R

There's one important point to know for all potential buyers : unless you're skilled enough to remove the dial/hands, you won't be able to verify what you et as a movement. The caseback can't be opened, the watch will open from the front only.

That's why, I would personally go for an ETA clone in my inquiry, at least you can't get bad surprise and you're sure you're not overpaying your Nautilus candy.

The other way is to have an absolute confidence in what your dealer says. ;)

The "Chinese MBK" (rep of the rep) has an average quality of its screws and I found its clasp very average as far as its finish is concerned (see my review).

Absolutely- Each Nautilus model uses a different caliber-

3700: 28 255C (hours/minutes/date)

3710: 330 SC IZR ((hours/minutes/seconds/date/PR)

3711: 315 SC (hours/minutes/seconds/date)

3712: 240 PS IRM (hours/minutes/seconds/date/PR/moonphase)

3800: 330 SC (hours/minutes/seconds/date)

5711: 315 SC (hours/minutes/seconds/date)

5712: 240 PS IRM C LU (hours/minutes/seconds/date/PR/moonphase)

5780: 28 520 C (hours/minutes/seconds/date/chronograph)

All the best :)

R

OMG...

The master of Pateks at works again...! :notworthy:

Very informative post. Ubi - nice to see you weighing in with the facts. I love that blue dial. ;) Is there an issue on the nautilus with screws versus pins on the bracelet meeting the case or do I have the wrong watch?

As usual, you're correct, W. There are in fact a couple different variations of the Nautilus Jumbo rep in existence. One version of this rep has screws holding the bracelet to the case instead of pins (it should be pins), incorrect case details/shapes, bracelet details, etc.

The MBK with the slim profile lugs is the one to own (in my opinion).

OMG...

The master of Pateks at works again...! :notworthy:

:) Unfortunately my PP knowledge is limited; I am familiar with the Nautilus, and to some extent the Aquanaut family, and a few others, but don't know squat about the numerous other models they offer (like the Calatrava with numerous variations and models available).

I wouldn't mind having one of those nice 18k solid cased Calatrava reps, however...