When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Upcoming Projects

lanikai

My reason for so many projects at once.. well it's really not all at once... I like to have a lot of surplus time to source parts .. more importantly do the research and ask the questions with members who are versed in the Vintage timepieces..RWG is never lacking in members whom have the time and experience and most important the knowledge so I really don't have to stray far.... for all the information I need !!!

Half the enjoyment of this Hobby is the History behind the vintage pieces .. especially within the early years when Brands were supplying the Military with time keeping instruments ..what good is creating a replica of a vintage timepiece if you don't know the history behind it ?? Knowing just the model seems like a poor excuse for the background of the replica .. or just wearing it cause it looks "Cool" ... IMO

Ever since I was a kid I enjoyed looking at old historic magazines and photo's of the 1800's.. maybe that's why I enjoy movies with time travel.. :p ... anyway .. here are some fast images (one more coming in next week) .. of the projects that I am attempting to get correct.. 1 vintage project is out of town at the moment ;)

dsc0014xw5.jpg

csc0011jj6.jpg

csc0013la7.jpg

csc0015ua8.jpg

csc0017rf8.jpg

You always have the coolest watches.

Thanks LD.. but this is sort of like looking over at the table next to you .. their entrees alway's look better.. and you end up saying ... I wish I ordered that ... Power of suggestion is sooo powerful in our hobby :lol::lol: but thank you for your kind words..

I don't think I could ever get myself to ding up the cases.. to give it the used aged look though :o .. every time I think of using the "method" i chicken out..the 1655 may take 3 separate pieces to make one good one... yup we are OBSESSED...

circa... 1954-55 the 6200...(model) for depth and movmt. .. still searching for the dial i have.. looks like I may have one made actually .... this is auguably the rarest of sub models.. I think this is the first sub.. featured in the 1954 Basel show.. correct me if I'm wrong.. (actually I KNOW everyone will).. :p

6200nt3.jpg

heres the 1550 "deep sea"

dsea6me4.jpg

Mmmmm.... nothing like fresh MBK's. Have fun with them LK.

I was actually timing this to see how long it would take you to appear TMG !!. :lol: .. having a blast researching the history and searching .. but I'm learning more about the experimental years.. this 1950's model was designed to look like a dress watch .. leave it to the French..History keeps repeating itself.. rolex surely did "conquer the deep sea"

you will be getting many pms my friend.. DBR too !!!

Great looking projects!

As someone who also enjoys building, I have got to say that it's always fun to have a project or 3 in the works at one time. Keeps the mind busy while searching for parts, and more importantly, keeps me occupied while waiting for those parts to be shipped/received (perhaps the most agonizing part of the process).

Sadly, my least favorite part of the process is finishing, as the road to completion is really where it's fun for me :) However, I certainly don't mind being able to wear the fruits of my labor to enjoy...

All the best and have fun!

R

Whooooowwww !!! Shoot the Heavy Hitters ...have appeared!!!

Ubi... Laz... dluddy..kruzer....Stephane....prof ....toomuchgear earlier..mikellem too

ubiquitous Posted Today, 05:18 AM

Sadly, my least favorite part of the process is finishing, as the road to completion is really where it's fun for me However, I certainly don't mind being able to wear the fruits of my labor to enjoy...

this is so true Ubi.. it is also for me the "journey and not the destination".. the most joy is finally sourcing the parts and the hunt for them.. agree 110%

and Thank you

@Dluddy and Stephane... the 1655 may very well take the longest as I have been trying to get this going for a while now.. just needed some genuine pics to look at .. after TMG tech support and DBR actually handling the genuine article.. thank you fro the encouragement.. means a lot

lazarini Posted Today, 05:49 AM

Keep us updated as the story unfolds ... let the games begin

Laz

So it goes... empty my bank account for the parts ... first step in the journey.. :lol:

prof Posted Today, 03:19 AM

Great projects Lani!

There certainly seems to be a pattern that once you've sated your thirst on the readily available modern reps, that sourcing and building a vintage, whether it be franken or not, is the next step in this hobby.........at least that certainly seems to be the case for me

It is the natural evolution of this hobby .. if one is interested enough (or obsessed enough) it takes time to learn .. and more time to get the learning correct... or some choose to buy modded watches.. i choose the slower process.. it's more rewarding.. kind of like I had something to do with earning the end product.. and as Ubi say's it's the road and the journey and at journey's end .. we start another path... :lol::lol:

@kruzer.. and as alway's my friend thank you for your positive effect.. thanks W....

Well.. I already sourced some genuine parts for the 369/5513 .. so I don't know what I'm smiling about.. after paying for them :o

I tend to do things in a somewhat reverse order compared to some of you. Instead of researching because or while I am working on a project, most of my project watches tend to come about out of the great respect that develops after I have researched a particular model for a number of years. That is, the research tends to come before, often years before, I ever embark on a project to construct the watch. Vintage Daytonas & Double Reds are 2 good examples.

But I cannot wait to see how these turn out.

Looks like some fun projects Lani.

Can't wait to see what you end up with for your 1655...

Yeah I'm to see how your 1655 comes together and turns out. You guys are a bad influence. Though I could resist the interest in vintage stuff and just stick to PAM's but I find myself wanting to build some of these. Maybe I'll start with a 1680 or 1675.