When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bergeon case opener/Rolex

lanikai

I recommend the (much more affordable) LG Openall.

Bergeon is 169 usd .. where can I find the LG openall ??

I can open all other cases with my thumbs using pressure but the Rolex is my Achilles heel :p

thanks Avitt...

with your thumbs? damn... ;)

It's just the tension and not the "turning" of the case back .. wonder if the ductape will work.. but it's between the LG and the simple but more expensive bergeon.. correction.. bergeon on ofrei is 159 .. not bad.. and the Lg on Ofrei is 75.00.. maybe the LG is the way to go. if it's a multi case back opener..

@avitt.. thank you.... I may go with the LG .. found it on Ofrei.. and that's just across the water on the West coast

Guest avitt
I made a 'die' with JB Weld, cardboard and a nail that opened most Rep, but when it came time to open my 5513 Gen it didn't work. So I got a copy of the Bergeon set on fleabay, I think it was around $40 :fishing:

I had one of those eBay Burgeon copies as well. Not all of the dies fit correctly, and it had a tendency to slip, and mar the case backs...The nice thing about the LG is that the dies aren't hand held. The watch is held firmly in place, the die is perfectly centered, pressure is uniformly applied, and the die is turned around a centered axis. There's little chance of damaging your watch or back.

Once I picked up the Openall, I sold off my hand held wrench set.

I use rubber gloves (like doctors use) and my thumbs. Never had a scratch and I never met one I cant open.

Ah, the old ruber glove trick..................................paaaaarty time.

Stephane and others convinced me just to get the gen Bergeon 29.5mm die...and whatever cheap arms you want. I have a complete set with arms that cost about $30...and the gen 29.5mm die (the only one you will need Lani) was about $20. You have to grind out the Bergeon arm slot so it fits better...but that's a 10min Dremel option.

The gen 29.5mm die is significantly better fit than the El Cheapo...but for arms...you can really get away with a piece of 5/8" or whatever the measure is(can't remember) pipe or a screwdriver...all that matters is the die fit.

OK.. thank you so much gang .. looks like the consensus is bergeon die or hortec .. sounds like that's what I will do then in the meantime while I'm waiting maybe cut out part of my Yoga mat.. (only use it for a prop to carry out of the locker room .. gives me an in with the women coming out of Yoga classes :rolleyes: ).... and use ma thumbs..

thanks again all !!!

R

How do you open with Duct Tape? Will this ruin the hologram?

As for Bergeon, why not get this $35 one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Watch-Oyster-Cas...id=p3286.c0.m14

Put a 2+/- inch square of duct (or electrical) tape on the removable case back. Take up the slack on two sides and twist with a little downward pressure. I have not yet had a rolex rep caseback I couldn't easily open this way. I don't care about the hologram, but they have always stayed intact, printing and all, when I remove the tape.

Put a 2+/- inch square of duct (or electrical) tape on the removable case back. Take up the slack on two sides and twist with a little downward pressure. I have not yet had a rolex rep caseback I couldn't easily open this way. I don't care about the hologram, but they have always stayed intact, printing and all, when I remove the tape.

Is it like this?

69145059nx6.jpg

just cut a square of duct tape, put the sticky end over the case back, grab the excess that doesnt cover the case, push down and twist?

As for Bergeon, why not get this $35 one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Watch-Oyster-Cas...id=p3286.c0.m14

That one probably has the flawed die/s!

You would then need to buy (at least) the 29.5 Bergeon gen die, and modify it to fit that opener.

The one I got, all the other dies fitted OK, but the 29.5 was a POS.

Personally, this tool now does what I want, and although the press type would be nice, unless you are constantly working on Rx, it does the job.

Offshore

Is it like this?

69145059nx6.jpg

just cut a square of duct tape, put the sticky end over the case back, grab the excess that doesnt cover the case, push down and twist?

Yep. pretty much like that. Grab the left and right sides of the extra tape between your pointer finger and thumb, push down a little with your thumbs to assist the tape with traction, and move your thumbs in concert. Let me know how it works for you.