When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cleaning out Inventory...

lanikai

Well,... I tried !! On more than one occasion <_<

I "had" decided after much debate ( with myself.. if that counts. can't loose) .. to clear out some of my reps and to look at undertaking projects that would take me to the next level of this hobby..or better yet invest in tools and that watch school that would elevate one to be more self sufficient..

Like I said I "tried".. and the report is ... "I failed miserably"

First I looked at 2 SOSF with white dials.. one being Asian movement (never worn) and the other the Swiss version.. I thought yup definitely sell the Asian version.. but decided maybe I want to get it AR'd and use it for a beater someday..

next up Baume M. Riviera.. worn once.. definitely want to move that... but maybe after getting it AR'd.. put that on the side..

ok.. moving along.. 3 Tag Aquatimers.. Blue,..Black ... TT ... don't need them all.. but there so good looking .. put them on the side.. cause I cannot decide which one I like better.. :(

Now definitely a no brainer.. all four Omega Date models 2 must go.. but which ones.. :unsure: .. (you know the drill).. ok put them on the side for now..

Po's all different variations of dial and bezels... yup .. you guessed it.. :bangin:

How many subs do i need.. but i say to me... it's shows the improvements in the replicas over the years .. these are really the "History of the Replica" that I am responsible for :rolleyes:

and so the story went .. Ad Infinitum...... TT navitimer.. never worn.. just admired.. needs to get AR before I decide,.. all the brietlings...hhhmmmm.... all the Pams that I never wear.. but I better hold on to them cause their slowing down production of this historical rep... :web:

After "debating myself" for a couple of hours .... I finally decided to table my "discussion" with me, because I wasn't making any head way one way or the other.,.... and light up a Gloria Cubana Habana ... and relax with a DVD.....so i closed all the cases of reps .. and decided to do this another day.. :whistling:

Now I will not mention how many other times I have attempted this .. funny how I can talk myself "into".. or "out of" anything ... funny though it always comes down to pulling the trigger .. not enabling the safety ..... I talk myself into buying a rep...... and I talk myself out of.. not buying a rep :huh::huh:

If your laughing I know I am not standing alone in the hallway .... B)

what your spiel ?? you ever "tried" to clean out your "closet"

Lanikai, at the moment I am in a similar position as you. I have bought a MBK Nautilus, and I have a feeling that once the watch arrives, I will like the watch so much that I'm going to sell off almost all my collection. It is definitely hard deciding whether one stays or goes, and I even have the same thoughts as you on certain pieces, "This is my only Panerai" or "but this is my only Omega, or this my only Rolex". etc.

However I've decided now that the deciding factor will be overall build quality, rather than the prestigeness or uniquness of the model replicated, and from what I've heard about the MBK Nautilus, it wins hands down in this department.

Save up and take that class. I'm doing the same, we can be classmates!

Don't sell something if you enjoy it, R. It's not out of necessity, so are you getting pressure from the woman? Talk to us. Let it out.

Wait a minute.. 3 AQUATIMERS? ASIAN AND SWISS WHITE SFSO?! Your losing your grip. I wish I shared your "problems" man. :laugh:

Paging DocBR. :p

I've been approached by friends from time to time with inquiries of certain watches within my collection. If the watch in question is one that I just don't wear any longer, or is one that I don't have a strong emotional/sentimental attchment to, I have no problem with passing it along; especially if I know it's going to a good home.

Doesn't happen often, but every once in a blue moon... Anything could be possible.

ubiquitous Posted Today, 07:38 AM

I've been approached by friends from time to time with inquiries of certain watches within my collection. If the watch in question is one that I just don't wear any longer, or is one that I don't have a strong emotional/sentimental attchment to, I have no problem with passing it along; especially if I know it's going to a good home.

Doesn't happen often, but every once in a blue moon... Anything could be possible.

Your timepiecesare on a entirely different "Plain" Ubi... I can really only admire them.. :rolleyes:

P4GTR Posted Today, 06:22 AM

Save up and take that class. I'm doing the same, we can be classmates!

Don't sell something if you enjoy it, R. It's not out of necessity, so are you getting pressure from the woman? Talk to us. Let it out.

my problem is I enjoy all of them although I don't wear them .... women don't pressure :huh: .. I may look into the class.. about time I do something other than just wearing them...

coolfire Posted Today, 03:39 AM

I don't think i can bear to part with my watches... for now at least...

They've all become a part of my life... As what deltatahoe mentioned, they're all like my children...

Yup, DT and You have summed it up .... the ones that I really don't have attachments to I put up for fundraising.. for all the forum has given me .. just giving back a little..

docblackrock Posted Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Lani, don't think of it as losing/getting rid of them, but as giving them a new home where they will be cherished and worn more than they are now. The only thing that is stopping you is the collector/OCD/hoarder mentality. I can help you with that

If I saw you in your Clinic I would probably be charged 250 usd for that piece of information.. of which I could make payment with a timepiece... :laugh:

@demonslayer.. that's the complication of this hobby I guess.... and like b16a2 states.. it does come and go in cycles.. that's what keeps me from clearing them from my cases..

If you don't need the money...don't need to free up space...your collecting isn't hurting anybody...then there really isn't any reason you should give any up...especially if the only reason is that you feel you should.

You obviously have some degree of attachment to all the items...so go with that and keep them. Having a chronology of reps is an interesting thing too...as the whole tells a story which a single item can't do justice with. Hence the logic behind Stephane's extraordinary Sub collection.

If you feel it is wasteful to have so much...you have purged through fundraising and have generated good Karma points by helping the forum. Don't feel bad about what you're doing.

However...I will gladly rent some of your pieces so I can write reviews and photograph watches I can't afford to buy right now. ;)

If I saw you in your Clinic I would probably be charged 250 usd for that piece of information.. of which I could make payment with a timepiece... :laugh:

Exactly, a win-win situation :D

Not only do you get help in dealing with the psychological impact of your 'condition' but you get to associate the 'clearing out' process with health benefits.

(note to self: those bloody shrinks have it made!)

I used to suffer from the same conditions....call it the impulsiveness of wanting to rid of the collection, to try to jump on the next thing I want to do; or even the eccentricity of myself for the "quest".

I have made the same mistake once before of selling pieces that I once loved in my collection just to buy the "next big thing", only to be slightly misled or disappointed when the actual product is in my hands.

How I have learned to think things over a cool glass of (insert alcoholic drink here) to make my decisions before..."jumping the bandwagon" too early.

The only thing that is stopping you is the collector/OCD/hoarder mentality.

I have the same problem.

Cover the downsides of life by buying things that sometimes I don't even bother with.... 1000s of DVDs, over 3000 records (vinyl!) and CDs not even including the mp3s.... 50+ Nike/Adidas shoes, 20 or so Avirex leather jackets, over 100 soccer jerseys, and the most expensive of them all ? watches :cry:

I'm supposed to move out and get my own place... at this rate, i'll stay broke the rest of my life!

I've really gotta get myself sorted out... or find a good woman... but the latter is an impossible task!

Where is Dr. Sssurfer? ;)

Edited by Chronus

I'm interested in the El Primero Daytona, any chance it's a blue moon? :Jumpy:

I can only wish ! ;)

I have the same problem.

Cover the downsides of life by buying things that sometimes I don't even bother with.... 1000s of DVDs, over 3000 records (vinyl!) and CDs not even including the mp3s.... 50+ Nike/Adidas shoes, 20 or so Avirex leather jackets, over 100 soccer jerseys, and the most expensive of them all ? watches :cry:

I'm supposed to move out and get my own place... at this rate, i'll stay broke the rest of my life!

I've really gotta get myself sorted out... or find a good woman... but the latter is an impossible task!

Where is Dr. Sssurfer? ;)

Wheeew.. I feel totally normal now..no wonder I gravitate to this place ...... lot's of abi-normal members.. :rolleyes:

There are people who can't part with even an empty package, they fold & save them for

possible future uses.

I say close eyes and do it.

Just look at it as funds for buying new watches...

OK..OK .. throwing away all empty packages when I get home and empty soda pop cups too.. (how did he know ??) In Hawaii we save all empty packages and plastic market bags.. ... called recycling ....

docblackrock Posted Today, 09:27 AM ..

"A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes, but to get into accord with them; they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world."

That's from Charles Manson ??? Right ... :p

OK..OK .. throwing away all empty packages when I get home and empty soda pop cups too.. (how did he know ??) In Hawaii we save all empty packages and plastic market bags.. ... called recycling ....

That's from Charles Manson ??? Right ... :p

It's only counts as recycling when you actually put the stuff outside in a little green box for collection. Now about 'recycling' that 2006 CD Lani.... :whistling:

No, close though, His role model. The Austrian bed-wetter himself ;)

Hey Lani, Brah!

I'll hold the SFSO Swiss and an Orange UPO 45.5 if you want! Just let me know, OK? Anytime you want them back,..... just holler/email/txt/PM!

Just know that you're in good company here! We're all sick.......

Aloha, Hike!

It's only counts as recycling when you actually put the stuff outside in a little green box for collection. Now about 'recycling' that 2006 CD Lani.... :whistling:

No, close though, His role model. The Austrian bed-wetter himself ;)

Oh,... I was wondering about that ,.. just holding it dosen't count huh ???

Yikes... that one was beyond any kind of psycotropic drugs. OH he was somewhat of a junkie though .. rmoving his frontal lobe would have helped.. or was that done at birth.. (reason why lions eat their young)

spikey_ap@yahoo.com Posted Today, 11:24 AM

So why not help others get their fix?

How 'bout that UPO on rubber? Ready to part with it?

spikey ... see me when you have reach the star studded "supporter" status .... and my PO's have been fully Modded with genuine dial.. crystal.. etc. etc. .. DBR got me obsessed with that one.. -_-

HikeUSA Posted Today, 12:39 PM

Hey Lani, Brah!

I'll hold the SFSO Swiss and an Orange UPO 45.5 if you want! Just let me know, OK? Anytime you want them back,..... just holler/email/txt/PM!

Just know that you're in good company here! We're all sick.......

Aloha, Hike!

OK... :fishing1:

Hike .. bruddah... you gotta cut the avatar shet out man ... ya torturing us ova hea....