When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grand Carrera is out now ($398)

Samurai

Finally...it's out!

http://www.pc-80108.com/0000tgca01001-gran...750-p-4817.html

Selling for $398.

Someone...pls buy and review it.

Cheers

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Saw the Grand Carrera on King's site just now: http://kingwatches.net/TAG-087.htm

Anyone has any news on this baby? Was a gen dissected to reproduce the off-springs?

Cheers

Wow, that certainly looks interesting.

I'm not that familiar with the gen. Could someone shed light on its features, and how it'd be possible to replicate them... at least visually?

I'm a TAG fan. What there is not to like on these watches?

This is another original and innovative looking TAG.

Design wise they run circles around the new Rolexes... any day.

Really not any special features. It has 2894 with rotating discs instead of small hands, positioned under the dial. Of course, Tag calls it "revolutionary" rotating system, but really nothing special. I just can't see did they get thickness right, because 2894 i really thin movement, and A7750 with additional module get quite thick ... I couldn't find any side shots of the gen to compare. Other than that, and a bit misaligned date on Kings pics, rep looks pretty cool.

regards

Wow, that certainly looks interesting.

I'm not that familiar with the gen. Could someone shed light on its features, and how it'd be possible to replicate them... at least visually?

Having tried the gen out, what I can say is that the minute totalizer doesn't click over at 60 seconds like on the 7750, its a gradual turn. From what I cam make out, the rotor is shaped completely differently than the gen. Also, the date window edges are a lot deeper on the gen as well, to mask the recessed datewheel. The side shots on Kings site make the case look very fat, and I dont recall noticing that on the gen, but I could be wrong. All in all its a very nice piece though, a lot closer than I ever thought they would make this one!

I'm a more avid a Heuer/TAG Heuer fan than most but like the rest of the Carrera series, the Grand Carreras just leave me cold and totally unstimulated in the trouser department.

how can you be an avid tag fan and not like the carrera series?

how can you be an avid tag fan and not like the carrera series?

Guess I just have a blind spot :D

Ok I'll clarify a bit......'modern' Carreras leave me cold. There I've said it. Bar the odd reissue, I find them incredibly bland and uninspiring not to mention bearing no relation to the lineage of their predecessors. Jack's decreasing influence in the face of the marketing boys I fear - he was supposed to safeguard the Heritage line, but all we've seen recently is the bastard chimaera Monaco 69, the Monza discontinued, and no new Targa Florio type standalone chronos. Even the venerable Autavia (bar a couple of very limited reissues) has been passed over.

There are plenty of modern models I love though, the V4 Monaco (production next year), I was also one of the first to campaign for the new case Aquaracer to be repped, and I have a gen Aquagraph. I'm also praying they rep the Mk I SLR (the Mk II rep looks excellent) as I passed one up to pick up a c.36 Monza instead. But the Carrera I see as the F1 for the older, slightly more affluent generation - volume sellers for the masses first and foremost, marketing-driven not design-led.

This latest GC series looks like a pig all dressed up. Gimicky sub dial mechanism, massive dial and case aesthetically awful, tachy bezel yawn, oooh it has double AR - not the first TAG to have that though is it. It's like those ugly kids you see that have attractive parents - the gene lottery dealt them a crappy hand.

• 3 weeks later...