When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to move to the US in three months, from the UK, can anyone give me some help...?

Jaymoi

Guest carlsbadrolex

Stay where your at... The US is going to hell in a hand basket. I mean seriously, Im all for love and all, but come on. You've been living together for 4 months. I bet you dont even fart in front of each other yet! Can you crap with the door open? Does she get up early to brush her teeth before rolling over to kiss you?

Yeah, maybe Im a little bitter right now. But I cant hardly understand why ANYONE would move 1/2 way around the world and give up everything that is THEIRS for "love". Im not even convinced that "true love" exists any longer.

But hell, contact an immigration attorney... I know you love THIS place, we all do! But dont come here for legal help, seek a pro!

@ CBR:

Here are the answers to your questions:

SHE farts in front of me

SHE leaves the door open when she poops

I DO brush my teeth when i wake up and then return to bed for some kissing, and, funnily enough, her breath always smells gorgeous

AND we are in love, for sure

To be honest i do really like America, and i actually have more of an oppertunity to establish a life here. England is hell on Earth, believe me.

I will seek a pro of course, i just wanted some ideas from the people i actually trust the most! :)

I had a friend that emigrated to Australia with his girl. As soon as she was back in her home country, everything changed. His relationship was over before his stuff arrived by container.

well thats depressing.

Anyway, you can get 4 months in the US under the 'alien fiance' form bit, and it doesnt even ask about career, or working.. heck it doesnt even give you leave to work in the US.. just live here... so.. if you dont want to worry about a job, that'd be the route I'd take.

then once you're in, you get married within that 4 month span, then file for the real deal

Funniest part about that form is this line "If you have not personally met each other, explain how the relationship was

established."

lol, if they will consider people that havnt even met, im going to hazard to guess that you will have no problems getting at least the 4 months without job, etc.

you did say you wanted it to be a year from 3 months from now.. so this will get you through til 7 months from now :) or delay your plans a few months.. but at least by then you can get your foot in the door and be more able to find a job that would be willing to sponsor you. Much easier if you are already in the country!!

Edited by roflwaffle

As soon as she was back in her home country, everything changed. His relationship was over before his stuff arrived by container.

It is definitely not easy moving country - and it's not the differences, it's once it dawns that everything is the same, but now that little bit harder. The first year after moving was definitely a rough year - mainly because you're moving country, finding a new house, shopping at Ikea, and both looking for new jobs all at the same time - all stressful stuff. Ikea....shudder.

That said though - when you're in a relationship with someone from another country, one of you is always going to be away from home. So one or other has to suck it up, or it all goes wrong. Personally, I can see the benefit of sucking it up in the sunshine next to a swimming pool.

And maybe this is just me - but it's not a 'marriage' until you've been hit over the head with a frying pan and still get along. And every relationship gets tested by pressure at some point regardless - that's what makes or breaks it. Whether it's in the UK or the US, its still going to be advisable to wear a crash helmet around the house. :p

To be honest i do really like America, and i actually have more of an oppertunity to establish a life here. England is hell on Earth, believe me.

I used to think the same... I thought I'd move to America pre-911, after that and all the homeland security, patriot act etc BS, I'd be worried as a foreign national living there...

If I were to move now, it'd be to Canada or Australia, and if it's for a woman, then Scandinavia may come into the picture too ;)

For some reason I'd always had much better luck with American women than anywhere else...

Anyway... for better or for worse, sometimes there's nothing quite like home sweet home.

Good luck in moving there, it's a big step!

Your best move would be to apply for a Fiance Visa. It will enable you to move to the US for a period of time, but, at the end of that time, you will have to actually get married :D I nearly went down this route myself about 5 years ago, but wound up with a cheating whore for a partner. I was lucky to have a friend good enough to tell me what was going on, and I called things off. Needless to say, had things not changed, I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now, and instead, would likely be living the life of a cuckold in America, so things turned out good in the end :D

Best of luck with everything :)

[Edit to add]

Well here's the thing re work:

1. I can get my Dad to open up a company over here, and have me sent over here to establish it, seeing as what he does is a niche field, not many people can do it, i can get a hb1 visa for over here.

Will this work?

Yes and No. It depends on the working situation. Someone who is emigrating to America with the plans of starting a business (being self-employed) must be establishing a business which will provide work for people in the area (I believe a dozen) Also, if you were going to be going to work there (albeit as your dad's representative) you would have to commute to a place of business. You could not claim your domicile as the business premesis. Another option, I believe, is to be contributing $1M to local industry. I only know these conditions as a friend also planned to emigrate with an American fiance, and, while he worked remotely for an IT company, so they said he could simply work remotely from the US as easily as he did in the UK, because he would not have to travel to a place of business, the powers that be did not consider that to be acceptable...

Hey pho do i get a small fee for refering you man ;) ? ..

Rock on bro !

i would - except - its illegal to give refferal fees to non lawyers- there are very strict rules about what lawyers can do to solicit clients - allowing non lawyers to get you your clients for fees would circumvent the system.

so just take the bar exam and apss it and were good for like 50 bucks - unless he wants more services ;)

although he hasn't called and he was supposed to be leaving this weekend - Jay dude - call - don't just find some random lawyer there are really bad crooks out there

• 2 months later...

if your gf is a US citizen, ya can come over legally on a fiancee visa which is valid for 3 months during which you can get married and apply for a green card ... generally takes anywhere from 6 months to 2 years depending on how backlogged the INS/DHS is

once you've scored your GC, you have to establish some sorta domicile within the US for the next 5 yrs before ya can apply for citizenship under Form N-400 which takes another year or so

read up @ www.immihelp.com

a friend of mine used www.shusterman.com

some folks i know (including myself) had hired Latour & Lleras outta Fl (www.usvisanews.com) back in 01-02

It's okay chronoluvvv - jaymoi will be getting his jollies in the GGG thread for the foreseeable future (they split up apparently) - thus Pugwash's post.

Sad ... didn't Jaymoi sell some watches to buy her a birthday gift? And she turns out not to be the right one. I guess you live and you learn.