When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to buy my first GEN...$1000 budget...

bTrizzy

My first thought was Oris before opening the thread. I still think it's the best value and bang for buck on quality and finish. I have Sinn, Oris, a SMP and a Uboat.

For what you describe, Oris or Hamilton are your best bets, though you should check the sales corner on Time Zone for some other ideas.

You'll have a difficult time finding an auto Seamaster (vintage maybe) for under a $1000................

Hamilton has several nice pieces under your budget, including a Valjoux 7750 piece (Khaki Chrono).

Tissot also has its Le Locle line which are automatics.

Both are nice reliable lines...........

My vote is definately Hamilton. I picked up this Hamilton Khaki Action Chrono in the Bahamas earlier this year for $1200. A little more than your budget but worth every penny. It features a ETA 7753 with croc strap.

HAM-1.jpg

HAM-2.jpg

HAM-3.jpg

HAM-5.jpg

I would just like to echo what Bruce said and go with the best quality watch that you can afford on your budget, rather than brand name only. I don't know much about watches in general, so I'm not sure how well made Hamilton or Oris watches are, but if they are indeed better made than a SMP, I would say go for it.

I would always use quality as the key factor whenever I purchase any watch (rep or gen) , or just about anything, be it electronics, clothes, footwear etc. If you're going to spend $1000 of your hard earned money on a watch, I would definitely get one that will last for many many years.

I find one thing that stops me from buying a lot of watches is that I ask myself, "am I going to be happy with this watch in a year?" To be honest that Oris don't look like a keeper to me. An impulse buy may end up as a resell. What watch do you REALLY want regardless of the cash? Might be worth saving up a little more money and be satisfied in the long-term. This is coming from someone who is expecting a 2000 A Series Seadweller in the mail tomorrow, taking the day off to meet the mailman. :)

I have a Poljot that I love - it has polished ss case and bracelet, has display caseback, but it manual wind. It cost just under $500. But Poljot has watches that run to well over $1000 so it is another option:

My Poljot Sturmanskie "Civil":

6.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

An Aviator chrono (also manual wind) - it comes with a leather strap and solid caseback but you can get ss bracelet and display back options - shouldn't run over $600. They have this watch with ETA 7750 for around $1200 but have to add bracelet and caseback - over your budget. And they are not polished...:

pc10310ma.jpg

Anyway, the Russians make some pretty cool watches in the price range you are looking at. Check them out!

Thanks for the suggestions. After looking through more watches, I think I would like a more dressy watch to go with my BCE and Fiddy. So I'm looking at this right now:

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/O...08/product.html?

or this:

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/H...10/product.html?

Edited by bTrizzy

I agree with the SMP, but I'll also throw another one in here. The Stowa Airman is awesome. I picked up a non-logo secondhand a couple of months ago and have been wearing it a lot. I may even wear it more than my gen 111F. Mine was used with COSC and 2 straps for $750 shipped. I found it on the TZ sales corner and they go fast there. The watch is German Made and the highest quality. The movent is COSC ETA with blued screws and decorated rotor. The face comes superlumed and the crown is a large onion type. The face is very basic and this watch has deep history. Stowa along with IWC and a few others produced the actual B-Uhr design which was used during WWII. Think of it as a small Big Pilot for 5% of the price. It's only 40mm, but wears bigger.

The Stowa Airman looks pretty awesome. But it seems to be a brushed finish :(

Oh yeah. I didn't read that. I actually preferred brushed since it is easier to brush than polish. After owning the 111 I've realized that. Otherwise many great others have been posted here. If you are willing to look used you could consider an Omega Aqua-Terra in 39mm (larger size). It would fulfill your requirements polished case, display back, dressy, but good with jeans. The best part of it is that it has the in-house co-axial movement which has not been replicated and the display back is there to show people it's the real deal. I sold one on ebay which had been factory serviced in Bienne and looked like new with box/papers/warranty for $1100 or so. That was like 2 years ago.

Oh yeah. I didn't read that. I actually preferred brushed since it is easier to brush than polish. After owning the 111 I've realized that. Otherwise many great others have been posted here. If you are willing to look used you could consider an Omega Aqua-Terra in 39mm (larger size). It would fulfill your requirements polished case, display back, dressy, but good with jeans. The best part of it is that it has the in-house co-axial movement which has not been replicated and the display back is there to show people it's the real deal. I sold one on ebay which had been factory serviced in Bienne and looked like new with box/papers/warranty for $1100 or so. That was like 2 years ago.

I do like the Omegas in this price range. But I mostly see them priced in the $1100 area and would really like to stay $1000 or less. If the Hamilton deal falls through I might jump on an Omega.