When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

why don't more dealers offer modding services?

rolexconfuse

I'm just a little surprised that most dealers don't offer a list of modding services that they can bill us a la carte or as part of the watch package. It can be from the simplest things to something complicated

I don't know how many you guys out there are good at modding but I'm pretty much all butter fingers. So for me it would be a great option.

Guest carlsbadrolex

They cant get QC right in most cases, do you really want to pay for them to mod a watch also???

Who do you think is actually going to do the mods? Probably the same people who assemble the watches.

Then we would have a situation where there would be NO motivation to get it right the first time because they could simply charge more to "mod" it.

Not a good idea in my humble opinion!

Dealers get their watches directly from the factories. Wouldn't it be easier for the factories just to make better reps that don't need any modding? And most dealers aren't as well educated about the watches as our "hardcore" membership. I doubt they could perform mods that'd satisfy our needs.

Eurotimez is the first one who starts offer "custom made" replicas. He combines MBW and Noobfactory parts for his 16610. I think it's a great idea, and I hope it'll be successful.

bklm1234 is another guy who sells modded Rolexes. Very good ones... so there already are some dealers who do this.

"modding" is not as simple and easy as it sounds.. there have been members who have destroyed reps ... time to slow down bud :D ... try and take it slowww

that is the enjoyment of our hobby to "learn" about timepieces.. AR is not a simple "kitchen" task.. Luming sausage dials .. well... let's not go there.... Horology.. a science .. you need knowledge .. not just tools...

take is EASY.... all you got is TIME B)

Remember .. this is an "Illegal" (bottom line) hobby.. never wear a rep into an AD.. Cardinal Sin ....never send money by Paypal stating "watch" ... and check with members before purchasing from other than a forum collector.. it will save your grief and $$$

I know how to do lots of mods, in theory. But I'm a big clumsy man, and the watch parts are so tiny. :D I can do some very basic stuff, like cg mods though.

But I'm very lucky to have many good, and extremely skilled forum friends who can mod and fix my watches.

Like Lani said, it's a scary route to become "official modder". If you only knew the history around this subject... there have been some very ugly modder vs. customer feuds.

Dealers get their watches directly from the factories.

I am pretty much convinced that the dealers ( ... with few exceptions) do not even see or touch the wacthes we get.

We get them straight from a "middleman" who works for both the factory and the dealer.

I am pretty much convinced that the dealers ( ... with few exceptions) do not even see or touch the wacthes we get.

We get them straight from a "middleman" who works for both the factory and the dealer.

Yes, I agree. But some of them actually are in contact with the factories.

Doesn't change the fact though... dealers (or their middlemen) modding the watches isn't a good idea. There's the cost factor, and there's the skill factor. Things that people like Ziggy do aren't easy.

'By-Tor' date='Jul 2 2008, 07:22 PM' post

I know how to do lots of mods, in theory. But I'm a big clumsy man, and the watch parts are so tiny. :D I can do some very basic stuff, like cg mods though.

.. Well said Igor... I meant By Tor.... :D .... (dis guy is a favourite of Zeus himself) :o

it would be fun if I wasn't all butter fingers. I wanted to smooth out the sharp side edges from my bracelet so I did some test runs on a couple of spare links I had, well let's say all the mirror polish finish on the side of the links are now all scratched up :o

IN theory I sort of get how to smooth it out but in reality....nope

They cant get QC right in most cases

QC? The factories cannot even get the basic rep designs right, let alone QC anything. Find me a factory that makes a true 1:1 or 'perfect' copy of a gen watch (the GMTIIC 'Super Rep' is close but far from 'perfect') & you will not need any mods.

Mods are crafted by artists (like Ziggy) & craftsmen (like Avitt, Ubi & others), who put quality before profits (sometimes performing work without profit). Artists & craftsmen produce things of beauty that take your breath away, while businessman just take your money. That is not a slight against businessmen, but their goals are (& should be) different than ours.

Generally I couldn't agree more with the comments above. The dealers are businessmen and the modders are artists. The two don't mix. Having said that I wish eurotimez well with his 16610 project and think it is a fantastic idea (have I just completely contradicted myself? probably but who cares!)

Doesn't change the fact though... dealers (or their middlemen) modding the watches isn't a good idea. There's the cost factor, and there's the skill factor. Things that people like The Zigmeister do aren't easy.

Damn right.

I was wondering ....... in UK there is a very large CHN community.

Also many reps get in to Europe from UK.

Is that difficult to find a skillfull watchsmith there willing to work with Reps on repair and modding services ???

London / UK based members: anybody willing to search for the "Arturo of Camelot" ???

IMHO: Because it is adding considerably much amount of work, plus it brings more risk if you ruin the watch. I would think the modding alone would cost almost up to 50 to 70% of the watch sales price itself...

But I think the main reason is the risk part.

Remember .. this is an "Illegal" (bottom line) hobby.. never wear a rep into an AD.. Cardinal Sin ....never send money by Paypal stating "watch" ... and check with members before purchasing from other than a forum collector.. it will save your grief and $$$

What is an "AD" ?

Hi newbie, AD means Authorized Dealer. ;)

Now I have a question too.. what does MBW mean?

I think a veteran mem from RWG should head a project (Ex: Brand: Rolex, Model: Submariner) in a factory in CN and spear head the design, etc.. haha. :rolleyes: Heck I really believe if they did purchased a Genuine article to replicate then they should get the dial, design, etc. right provided they have the resources. Just need very accurate calculations..

Hi newbie, AD means Authorized Dealer. ;)

Now I have a question too.. what does MBW mean?

I think a veteran mem from RWG should head a project (Ex: Brand: Rolex, Model: Submariner) in a factory in CN and spear head the design, etc.. haha. :rolleyes: Heck I really believe if they did purchased a Genuine article to replicate then they should get the dial, design, etc. right provided they have the resources. Just need very accurate calculations..

Haha I just realized that.

Ill help you. MBW stands for Maria's Best Watches. There was a dealer a long time ago that sold watches that would accept gen parts. They are still being sold.

I do custom stuff and the main factor is time. Now I don't factor that in but I assure you the dealers would. That also affects delivery time. I had a problem with one watch and had to order parts twice. It ended up taking a month. And we have enough people with no patience as it is. They are on the forum asking why they don't have their watches three days after they order. All in all I think QC is more important than modding.

Thanks for that blue_sphere! ;) Seems like I'm more of a newbie. haha. Hmm.. where can we find Maria's Best Watches? I think he's not operating anymore because if he/she does.. I should know it by now. haha.

Yes, I think someone in the end of the assembly line in a factory should be checking the over-all quality.

Eurotimez sells the whole MBW line. And I do wish him luck on his latest project. Simply going to the trouble to source the best parts from various places is a huge leap forward. And the answer to the question on why not buy a gen and dissect it is that it is now a common occurrence for the $500 + reps. But at the end of the day the manufacturer has to trade off accuracy with cost. Modding at the dealer level for all the reasons mentioned above is unlikely and would be IMHO a disaster. But there is no question that the factories are going to greater lengths to make more accurate watches and demanding higher prices for it. It is unclear to me how you solve the QC issue as now watches are often made in batches of a 1,000.

Yes, I think someone in the end of the assembly line in a factory should be checking the over-all quality.

Assembly Line? Factory?

You need to drastically change your perception of what a 'factory' is. Imagine 6-12 women in the backroom of a tower block apartment assembling watches from parts.