When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where is Rolex going?

dieselpower

Hi to all,

I thought I would pose this question as I am very disturbed by the latest designs - across the range. I should point out that I am a fan of the classics, the 1665's the PN Daytonas, also the watches that never get talked about here ie the Princes and the bubble backs. I would like to solicit opinions about the latest designs. The blue/steel sub for example, if you compare that to a sub from the 1970's what do you conclude about the future of the Rolex company?

A good friend of mine works for Rolex in Geneva and I said to him that I thought that the latest designs were generally awful and he was really offended. He is so in awe of the company that he thinks they can do no wrong. I hasten to add that he is not really a watch man and yet because he works for them he feels qualified to give opinions about their designs. He is very unimpressed with my 1665 (MBW, fully modded slow beat eta ubi datewheel gen crown and tube drilled lugs etc etc) but thinks that the latest sub with the enhgraved rehaut is fantastic. So what do you think? Does the company have a future? Will the models produced today be classics in the future?

By the way, I am told by my friend that they no longer produce the Explorer 1. Need I say more?

yeah i dont know what rolex is doing.. i dont mind the new deepsea but i have yet to see one in reaal life. The new GMT is not bad and i like the bigger day dates. BUT i dont like the new crown guards at all. I guess im on the fence on this one but i can see what your saying. Rolex to me has always been a tool watch and the new sports models are sure getting away from that look. i cant wait to see how badly they mess up the new daytona... yikes.

Rolex is going to Asia.. literally, the designs you're seeing today are mostly for the Asian, and some some extent the Russian markets. Have look around any Asian city and you'll see more Rolex's being worn and more Rolex's for sale than you could possibly imagine, Everyone and I really do mean everyone seems to be wearing one, Its like it some basic indication of worth like a high school diploma or something that everyone feels they have to have.

With America in recession and Asia booming you can imagine where the sales are coming from. Rolex aren't stupid, they are responding to what sells best in those markets.

He is very unimpressed with my 1665 (MBW, fully modded slow beat eta ubi datewheel gen crown and tube drilled lugs etc etc) but thinks that the latest sub with the enhgraved rehaut is fantastic.

Well I think his opinion is legitimate. Gen > fake any where, any time. Even if it's an ugly gen vs. a good looking fake.

Its obvious that Rolex, like many companies , have set their sights on the

nouvelle rich in other markets. there is much more emphasis on the bling factor.

i happen to like many of the models and think the basic DJ, subs ,etc are better than they were.

i have 3 new gens - 2 DJ (1- ss; 1-TT) and a TT GMT ceramic.

i really like all of them. First of all; they are slightly bigger. second the bands are MUCH better -IMHO

than before. all of them have hidden clasps, not those cheapo stamped metal clasps.

It seems that many of our members are vintage collectors and are appalled at the changes.

I do like the looks of the new Deep Sea (size and domed crystal), and the ceramic GMT. However, I prefer the vintage plastic crystal sports watches over the sapphire crystal versions. I also prefer the lug holes. Why did they get rid of them? I will agree that I have always thought the bracelets are crap (mainly the clasp).

I think Rolex has a great history, but I believe its becoming just that, HISTORY! I doubt many of todays designs will be viewed as classics in the future. But that is just my opinion.

Rolex is going to Asia.. literally, the designs you're seeing today are mostly for the Asian, and some some extent the Russian markets. Have look around any Asian city and you'll see more Rolex's being worn and more Rolex's for sale than you could possibly imagine, Everyone and I really do mean everyone seems to be wearing one, Its like it some basic indication of worth like a high school diploma or something that everyone feels they have to have.

With America in recession and Asia booming you can imagine where the sales are coming from. Rolex aren't stupid, they are responding to what sells best in those markets.

I have mixed emotions about Rolex's recent design trends. But I disagree with Logan's supposition that Rolex is now re-designing their line for the Asian/Eastern European market. Yes, those markets are growing fast, but the US market is & will likely continue (for the foreseeable future, short of a major US economic depression) to be their largest market. And, if nothing else, Rolex is run by people who are well-versed in marketing & the retail luxury business. In fact, they are probably the best in the world at it. So I have to assume that their market research (and Rolex does ALOT of market research -- I was a participant in 2 of their market research groups) is telling them that bigger & glitzier is what their buyers want. And judging by the types of watches that are popular both here & on TZ, I cannot really disagree.

But as far as their new designs go, I like some & hate some. Oddly, although I do not like either yellow gold or YM watches, I find myself quite drawn to the YMII. At 1st, I went into severe panic attacks at the merest thought of that 3-ring circus-like dial. But the more I read about the technology involved & the more macro shots I saw of the watch's superb finish, the more I warmed up to it. Do not get me wrong. I would never be caught dead wearing 1 of those silly looking buggers, but I have a spot in the back of 1 of my watch cases (next to the spot I have reserved for the new Deep Sea) that would be a perfect place for it to gather dust in. I also quite like the denim-colored WG Sub. Call me crazy, but as some on TZ have quite rightly said, it would go great with jeans. And that works for me.

.... Call me crazy, but as some on TZ have quite rightly said, it would go great with jeans. And that works for me.

I find it quite ironic that people are saying that Rolex is redesigning for more "bling" and the only thing people can say about the result is that it goes good with jeans. I think "bling" and jeans don't match and that a luxury brand should not be designing anything to go with jeans.

I also think that the regular old stainless sub goes great with jeans as it is.

Rolex has been trying to create some originality for quite some time....if you look at their large range of DJs and DDs to choose from it is apparent that they have been attempting some originality only by offering several designs of the same old watch....

Now they are heading in a new direction by offering all new designs....instead of another version of their already played out watch....

So what they are trying to do is create more choices/designs while still offering styles that represent what Rolex has always stood for....

I believe that Rolex is well aware of the played out nature of their watches....it is something that they have been struggling with for a long time....and now they are making a change....

I think Rolex has realized that they need to stay current with the latest market 'trends".. it is why Jaguar and Mercedes went to smaller more gas economical cars.. to get a piee of the pie that they would be missing otherwise..

the new design and models may be around for a very short time .. or they may prove to be the next part of Rolexes evolution ..

why did Porsche turn to water cooled engines when their whole history had been steeped in tradition in the air cooled engine.. because they could not keep up with the horsepower of the other lluxury sports models..

the Japanes Nationals.. (young kids) are buying up the 116710 .. in the AD's here.. why ?.. Japans youth sets trends... some companies "give" new release items to these fashionable "trend setters" .. all of the country follows suit.... so it would seem rolex needs to fashion for the "current generation".. the Baby Boomers are fading out.. they are just adjusting to the current market IMO..

Who knows how the "bean counters" think.. are they missing out on specific "size watches".. to the other luxury brands???.. Like any business they need to grow with the demand of the public .. Tradition to them is to keep making a sizable profit !!! that is the tradition that motivates all ..

Guest Carl

"I believe that Rolex is well aware of the played out nature of their watches....it is something that they have been struggling with for a long time....and now they are making a change...."

I would certainly agree with that.....

Carl

Don't know but I heard they hired Jim Skelton as an artistic advisor

• 2 weeks later...

daytona is not doing that great in asia except for JAPAN (at least for now) - panerai is way ahead of rolex in leaps and bounds. still some collectors believe that the daytona in high demand is 16520 the A series. the ppl who love daytona, are not buying any new model. the people who dnot have daytona, are not getting the new daytona.

having said that, the market for pam is still ahead of rolex. pubilch only see daytona as a limited production, they think most pam is limited edition . i heard that pam 127 is approaching to almost triple in second hand market. nowwadys people dont ask for discount, but its availablity. but 127 is only an asian thng or so i was told.

Most of the classic Rolex models still sell like crazy, and I think that the next generation sports models and Day-Date will be the new standard for a long time to come. With the strongly noted exception of the Deep Sea and Yachty II, which I find over-the-top, the new models are improving on a tradition, not abandoning it. Nearly everyone believes the case, bracelet, bezel insert and dial are improvements in the new Sub and GMT, and what's not to love about a 40+ mm Day-Date and Milgaus? I have always liked day dates but for their diminutive size. Now its just the price that keeps from getting one

Rolex is trying to design watches they feel will sell well in new markets, they have very little concern about the US market... US sales will continue on pace regardles if they redesign all their watches to look like swatches. There is much stiffer competition for brand dominance in euro/asian markets for watch sales.

My great uncle owned a junk yard (now dead), and guess what he wore an all gold rolex president... but if you would have told him he should have bought an ap roo, he would have said something along the lines of automobile poo go, who would want a queer watch like that. He would have no problem buying a blinged out rolex or the leapard print daytona for his for former "trailer trash" wife (and im sure she would have loved it, it would go well with their collection of velvet lion prints).