When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Got Called Out On My Tw Classic Today...

purspeed

Went into the watch store for some pins for my TW Classic (that i finished working on).

I asked for the pins only. The asian sales rep asked if I wanted them to install the bracelet. I said, "yes."

It took them about 20 minutes to install the bracelet, as the factory holes aren't lined up perfectly (I'm calling Folex on Monday about this...).

I was talking to the hot other sales rep when the original sales lady came back and said they were almost done.

The hottie asked what kind of what it was and the asian said, "it's a Rolex replica," in a polite, low voice.

She did not want to embarrass me, but I was not embarrassed. I asked them how much they think I paid. The hottie said 20 bucks. Now, that offended me (not really). I said that I paid 200 bucks but that it was a damn good watch.

I asked how they knew it was fake. The asian said that they could just tell it ain't real b/c they work with watches (including higher end) all day.

The hottie (who was married...of course, I had to ask) asked if I wear it to impress the babes. I said that I wear it to impress upon people that real Rolex's are overrated. I use my charm to impress the babes, and fortunately for everyone here, charm can be replicated at no cost (for a limited time only).

:)

(Btw, my watch is so badass now...me happy)

Oh, and the total price for all work + cost of pins? 4.00 dollars US

Most of the rollie reps will fool even and AD when on the arm. But if you hand ti to them it will take them about a nano-second to realize it is fake.

Especially if they have to force pics to line up. I PROMISE you that on a gen sub, everything is machined to where it falls into place, tightly falls into place but without forcing it.

I would agree with your assertion speedy1. Tight is good, not lining up is bad.

I polished the parts to gen and the watch, rep or not, simply looks great.

Problems with wobbly shafts, you ask? Right now, my problem is too many wobbly shafts...it's a jugling act. :/

I had a TW classic (lug holes, solid midlinks) sub from River, which I've since given away. At the time it was sold as a TW best so I'm a bit confused there apparently are two different such watches now.

The thing is the watch does look great as a watch qua watch and is very well made. But also it's pretty easy to tell it's fake. My TW best had solid middle links and was thus actually TOO heavy to be a gen Sub. The SEL's also do not match the gen and people who know what the gen three piece SEL's should look like will easily pick this out. Also, the anthill hour markers and too-light dial print (under certain light) that is characteristic of the TW sub are dead giveaways. That's assuming that the so-so pearl was replaced and the CG's cut down, which are otherwise also easy to spot.

The TW is a quality piece and this is not intended as a criticism of the watch. But it's not going to fool anybody familiar with a gen sub. Only an amateur would think "this just seems too nice to be fake," a pro should be able to pick out the actual differences.

Edited by kanerich

She did not want to embarrass me, but I was not embarrassed. I asked them how much they think I paid. The hottie said 20 bucks. Now, that offended me (not really). I said that I paid 200 bucks but that it was a damn good watch.

That's the spirit :victory::yeah::victory::yeah:

First off, she was married. If she wasn't married, then I still would not have gone for her due my oath of celibacy (i took an oath never to be celebate and since I am not physically attracked, it would be a celibate relationship). :D

@V: that's right b/c it's pathetic trying to impress a chick with a watch. But, if it works, then all the more power to you!

If you want a great rep to fool an AD (as long as they don't open it up) there's the IWC GST Chrono or possibly PAM036.

A great one is also the Franck Muller Conquistador with black dial.

If you want a great rep to fool an AD (as long as they don't open it up) there's the IWC GST Chrono

I can concurr that this works. The IWC is the watch I wear when I go into ADs now. I'd not dare my Sub or 111h, to be honest, as it's just too embarassing to be caught out. The IWC, however, passed the most intense of closed-case inspections as the AD pointed out how identical the font on the date wheel was to the 7750-based Hamiltons.

He appeared to know his stuff too, as he pushed the other sales people aside as he judged me a potential customer. The sales team wasn't subtle at all in checking out what I was wearing.