When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

By FAR the biggest flaw in Rolecs reps!

dabom

.. the friggin laser etched crown on the crystal!

I mean why on earth do they put it there? The gen etching can't be seen with the naked eye, and can only be seen at certain angles with a x20 loupe. Unfortunately, this flaw can't be fixed unlike other flaws.

Luckily, out of the hundreds of ADs I've ever walked into, I've never had a salesperson examine my watch when I took it off. I guess it's bad etiquette.

>:-(

I mean why on earth do they put it there? The gen etching can't be seen with the naked eye, and can only be seen at certain angles with a x20 loupe. Unfortunately, this flaw can't be fixed unlike other flaws.

Luckily, out of the hundreds of ADs I've ever walked into, I've never had a salesperson examine my watch when I took it off. I guess it's bad etiquette.

>:-(

I agree and along with the etched crown at 6 is the poor lume. SL is SL

etched crown IS too large but not noticable from a distance, lume never really bothered me. Its that pearl and date magnification which was always the worst for me. date mags are now A LOT better but still not perfected...crown gaurds are better but still not perfect... luckily its all modable.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Yeah, and those CG's... I mean come on, what are these people thinking!

Lets start a thread and list everything we hate about Rolex replicas.

I will go first.

Lets start with the name. R....o....l....e....x....

The name SUCKS, it doesnt mean anything and it doesnt roll of the tongue nicely.

And whats with the crown??? Who made them rolalty anyway!

OK, who's next?

You guys didn't see the gens, did you?... The holo crown on the recent reps is dead on accurate, it just loooks "more foreground" in photos because of teh different tech. In gens it is holographically lasered into the glass, on reps it is lasered on the back of the glass.

Awful rehaut shape (no thickness and lack of correct cylindrical shape on this area) is the biggest flaw on 90% of the Rolex reps. Good example of this is the "Super" SeaDweller.

I know this doesn't bother some, but that kills a Rolex rep completely from me.

When the fundamental and characteristic "look" of the watch is all wrong the whole rep is f*cked. After that, I don't care how nice the HE valve or dial are.

That's just me though.

PS: On the new GMTIIc this was done spot on.

Agree 200%! I hate that stupid laser etch all the time! I rather prefer the factory not to make this mark on the crystal. They just waste whole watch!

Best Regards,

Raymond

IMHO the last batch of C GMT II had an improved laser etch @ 6 which is, obviously, more discrete !

Almost invisible without loupe !

Xel

IMHO the last batch of C GMT II had an improved laser etch @ 6 which is, obviously, more discrete !

Almost invisible without loupe !

Xel

Yes, because it comes from the only factory that can make the decent 'uns.

The noobfactory Rolex reps have used decent etched crowns for years. The standard CN Rolex reps are all half assed efforts... I mean not just bad, but utter garbage.

come on guys! i think some of you are over-exaggerating.... I am surprised to hear by By-Tor that he does not care how good a rlx rep dila is as long as some other things seem f***d.... I bet that this is because the rep rlx dials are nowadays very very good and i think that if the ''other f***d thinkgs'' were fine and the dial sucked then By-Tor would complain about how bad the dial is.... :boxing: No offence , i think we tend to forget all the good and accurate thinkgs and we exaggerate by saying that we don't care much about them...

Well... what i really hate is... bad CGs'... and the rehaut issue :( Still preventing me from beginning a new project on SSD

Yeah, and those CG's... I mean come on, what are these people thinking!

Lets start a thread and list everything we hate about Rolex replicas.

I will go first.

Lets start with the name. R....o....l....e....x....

The name SUCKS, it doesnt mean anything ......

, who's next?

According to official Rolex statements the name is a deduction of "horlogerie exquise"

and appears first in 1908 .

WHY exactly are you wearing your rep into ADs pray tell????!!!!

WHY exactly are you wearing your rep into ADs pray tell????!!!!

That was my first thought also when I read the post. I ALWAYS take my watch off when I go into any AD store.

Its not only a rule here, it is common sense!!

I've got a massive watch "scar", so I think it would be pretty obvious that I am a hardcore watch wearer and pretty suspicious that I don't happen to be wearing one.

In the N.American stores I've been to, salespeople generally don't care what watch you wear because generally they themselves don't care what watch they wear, and it's "just a job" to them. In Asia, I've never seen a salesperson wear a cheap watch who worked at a high-end store. So they ALWAYS scope what watch you wear, and wearing a nice watch gets you better service.

Furthermore, I have a relationship with some salespeople in Asia, and I have bought many gens from them over the years. I don't want to HAVE to wear a gen every time I visit those countries, and yet I want to wear a respectable watch when I chat with them.

I really thought the SSD would be the one, and who knows - maybe it will be after I change out the pearl, get the CGs and dial/hand lume modded. But the more I look at that ridiculously large crown etching, the sicker I get. I can see it from a foot away. I don't like to feel paranoid when I walk into a watch store, even though no-one has ever inspected my watches before - but still - that etching is so huge it makes me feel a little paranoid. I would just like to walk in the store and enjoy myself, not be self-conscious about the etching. I think what I will do is "practice" first by going to a local Rolex AD, and feel comfortable wearing it before I bring it overseas and risk tarnishing my image in front of my friends.

I've got a massive watch "scar", so I think it would be pretty obvious that I am a hardcore watch wearer and pretty suspicious that I don't happen to be wearing one.

In the N.American stores I've been to, salespeople generally don't care what watch you wear because generally they themselves don't care what watch they wear, and it's "just a job" to them. In Asia, I've never seen a salesperson wear a cheap watch who worked at a high-end store. So they ALWAYS scope what watch you wear, and wearing a nice watch gets you better service.

Furthermore, I have a relationship with some salespeople in Asia, and I have bought many gens from them over the years. I don't want to HAVE to wear a gen every time I visit those countries, and yet I want to wear a respectable watch when I chat with them.

I really thought the SSD would be the one, and who knows - maybe it will be after I change out the pearl, get the CGs and dial/hand lume modded. But the more I look at that ridiculously large crown etching, the sicker I get. I can see it from a foot away. I don't like to feel paranoid when I walk into a watch store, even though no-one has ever inspected my watches before - but still - that etching is so huge it makes me feel a little paranoid. I would just like to walk in the store and enjoy myself, not be self-conscious about the etching. I think what I will do is "practice" first by going to a local Rolex AD, and feel comfortable wearing it before I bring it overseas and risk tarnishing my image in front of my friends.

there will always exist a plethora of things to be called out on. why risk it at all?

and then there are some people who have never seen a rolex before or even know what it costs

Seems like a very good answer to why you would wear a Fake to an AD how else could you know if your masterpeice was the perfect rep. maybe we should encourage this as it seems a fool proof way of testing the mods out.

Alternatively if like most people you use a little common sense you would see that maybe this is not a good idea in 90% of cases the sales clerk will be no more of an expert than your next door neighbor so why not show it to him.

The other thing is of course you may get lucky and find the 10% that know a little bit about it and they can highlight the flaws for you one thing is for sure to date there has never been a rep that would fool anyone who knows what they are looking for.

But hey just keep on doing mods and returning to the AD I am sure in the end you will get it right

Worse that can happen is you will be asked to leave the shop with your Fake and the good part is you will have shown the AD just how good the reps are now and that Rolex need to do something about all these super reps from Asia

[25] - Do not visit an AD (Authentic Dealer) with your replica watch and show it of as the real thing. If you do so, we are not interested in hearing about it. Such post will be deleted.

I am not sure how much more clear it could be. I understand that you are not 'showing it off as the real thing', but I do believe that it is unnecessary to flaunt our goods in the gen realm. just my opinion..

as for a watch scar... I have a very distinct tan line the size of a hockey puck o nmy wrist as well as a crown callus from my rolexs and I still take off my watch and put it in my pocket.

and yes more than one observant sales person has noticed my tan line and asked if I like larger watches...

anyway... I hate the etched crown on my ssd, I also hate the sels... oh and the mis-shapped crystal....

If every facet of a Rolex could be duplicated exactly for $300, then a gen Rolex would be overpriced garbage, and then no one would want to buy a Rolex rep. :p

How much do you think it cost Rolex to produce a watch? Precious metals aside, the raw materials in a watch cost about $50. Then you have to factor in quality control, advertising and research and development.

.....oh and the huge salaries the executives pull in every year.

Garbage...maybe not. Over-priced: DEFINITELY!!!

The fact remains that EXACT replicas, down to the micron, can be made if there was the need or desire to do so.

EDIT: If you factor in the cost of gold, in say an 18K president, the total value of the gold in that watch at current price of gold/oz would be around $2,232.

Rolex's price tag: $20K +. Now you tell me, over-priced or not? ;)

For me the case shape is off on most of the reps. the new rolexes have the

wider lugs making the watch appear quite a bit bigger.

most of the reps seem too small, the only accurate case now seems to be the new GMT ceramic.

Come on... Apart from the excellent old member posts here, we see a lot of ignorant replies. Please restrain from saying something if you dont know what are you talking about, you are confusing new(er) members. ALL rolexes until the new GMT you are talking about (and the Yaghtmaster II) have smaller cases... it is not wrong ..it is the fact since decades!! Please if you are going to post on a rolex section , post something you know !!! :nea:

For me the case shape is off on most of the reps. the new rolexes have the

wider lugs making the watch appear quite a bit bigger.

most of the reps seem too small, the only accurate case now seems to be the new GMT ceramic.

I am confused by this post. The Sea-Dweller until less than a year ago was based on the sub case and was small. Other than that I can