When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my friends look down at reps..

rolexconfuse

so I was talking to a couple of friends who are into buying anything. So I said "hey soo why not for your next purpose get yourself a roles" and they said no, not worth the money. So then I said you can get replicas and at that moment their faces went into this ghastly expression. And they said why would they want to wear a fake for? What's the point? You can never hand it out if your boss or collegue wants to check it out. And whappens if it breaks, now you either stop wearing it or find a guy who'll be willing to work on a fake rolex. And if you do find someone like that what does that say about that person's character?

There's are really good friends of mine and they don't know that I collect reps.

so I was talking to a couple of friends who are into buying anything. So I said "hey soo why not for your next purpose get yourself a roles" and they said no, not worth the money. So then I said you can get replicas and at that moment their faces went into this ghastly expression. And they said why would they want to wear a fake for? What's the point? You can never hand it out if your boss or collegue wants to check it out. And whappens if it breaks, now you either stop wearing it or find a guy who'll be willing to work on a fake rolex. And if you do find someone like that what does that say about that person's character?

There's are really good friends of mine and they don't know that I collect reps.

Maybe if you where honest against them that you do collect reps from the start then maybe they woud be more open for you suggestion.

Cheers

So they never realised that what you are wearing a rep all the time, thier idea of a rep is proberbly a very cheep canal street rep not what we can get, Why not try to educate them, or if they have so much money that they realy dont have to worry about it maybe they will never worry, a lot of people dont "get" a lot of hobbys

I have reps and gens...and friends have understood it similar to some of the high end jewellry in that you wear the reps of both for damage and risk on a regular basis and for working on the car...and the gens for the special occasions...or a museum that keeps the real stuff in the hands of the researchers...and the reps public facing as the public will rarely be able to tell the difference.

So they never realised that what you are wearing a rep all the time, thier idea of a rep is proberbly a very cheep canal street rep not what we can get, Why not try to educate them, or if they have so much money that they realy dont have to worry about it maybe they will never worry, a lot of people dont "get" a lot of hobbys

I never wore my reps in front of them. I only wear my gen watch when I hang with them. My friends are not loaded but they can afford to our purchase a gen if they wanted to. They've ribbed me about my gen, they know that I saved for it and stuff . And they respect the fact that I earned my watch but they also think I could have done so much more with my money then the watch since I'm not loaded.

what does that say about that person's character?

good question...owning or collecting fake watches does not say much about a persons caracter but

if one was to misrepresent a replica claiming it for a genuine for the purpose of selling it.....then one has crossed the "bad" line and become a criminal 8)

I have a wealthy friend who also used to look down on my reps. I showed him a few and he was impressed with the quality. Some time later he told me he was going to buy a Panerai. I told him that there are good quality Pan reps and he took the gamble and bought one from DSN. Needless to say he was bowled over, wears the watch all the time and is very pleased at having saved himself a few thousand pounds.

PS He now wants me to source a JLC rep.

Very pleasing.

The overwhelming majority of people I know (from uni, long time friends, etc) look down on reps. Even the amazingly close ones, it's just embedded into their memory 'its fake, its worthless'. They are shocked to know that some of the reps I had cost 300 dollars. Imagine their expressions if I tell them what a Big Bang rep can cost :p

Whatever, I let it go, they're the ones missing out anyway.

I have learned never to admit that a watch is a rep or telling anyone I collect reps. Its never looked at as anything positive. I have one friend who is a watch nut like me and I show him all my latest aquisitions but at the same time he has never bought one himself and he is never overly impressed. In all my years of wearing NICE watches both rep and gen only a handful of times has anyone paid notice to anything I was wearing. I leave it at that....I wear great looking watches, no one ever comments on them but if they do I never fess up that they are fake.

To many people, buying and wearing replicas (fakes) of any kind is equivalent to telling a lie and therefore casts doubt on the individuals character. Others look down at reps because it is deemed pretentious to purchase and publicly display such items that you may not be able to own otherwise. I recommend that you maintain a low profile regarding reps around others. 95% of the population will never mention your watches unless you are flaunting them, much less, be able to define them as replicas.