When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Show your favourite DJ/DD combination

DemonSlayer

That rhodium dial is a beauty, but the Romans always make wrist watch dials look too busy to me.

My favorite DJ/DD dials have always been the black onyx 'Mystery' (no index markers) & silver 'Linen' dials

16014and1601012a1.jpg

I have also always liked the Tapestry dials. But after locating 1 for another project, I am not so sure I would call it a favorite anymore. Still pondering.

cttimekeepers_dial0091.jpg

On the Mystery.

Why not?

Just kind of tapering things down before school starts. Don't want to be building watches on the desk that I should be doing homework on. I was going to make a 16013 with this one, with solid 18kt/ss band. Maybe I still will, but not right now. Haven't been to school for 10yrs and I want to focus.

Why do they call it the mystery?

What rep case fits a gen dial? I thought all the rep cases fit bigger dials?

This one came from Trusty / Andrew... here is the watch. The movement is a 2832-2 ... I glued the dial to the movement holder ring after removing the dial feet. The advantage of gluing the dial to the ring is that it can be set in place and perfectly aligned and then the movement clamps lock the dial and movement together in place. I have done this on more than one occasion with a gen Datejust dial mounted to a 2836-2 movement in a modern rep case. I just completed a purchase of another silver dial with Roman markers and am going to build an all stainless with white gold bezel franken in a gen case. I have obtained a movement holder ring that will mount a 2836-2 movement into a Rolex 16014 case. When completed I will post photos.

Datejust from Andrew

Here is another Datejust modern rep case I put a Genuine Datejust dial into.... I no longer have this watch as I have 2 gen Two Tone Datejusts and found I was not wearing this two tone at all.... I passed it on to DaveNYC. It also originally came from Trusty / Andrew. The movement is also s 2836-2 and also I glued the dial to the movement holder ring after removing the dial feet.

DSCN0424.jpg

So you see a gen Datejust dial can be mounted to a 2836-3 movement into a rep case and it will fit perfectly. Good luck if you decide to try it and if you do please share your experience and pictures. Cheers

Owners often find themselves mystified as to the exact time (since the dial contains no markers).

I see....and as for the other watch, posted by fallin, on my other moniter his markers looked gold. Not on this one though. So would it be wrong/incorrect to put my dial into a SS case with a all stainless jubilee?

This one came from Trusty / Andrew... here is the watch. The movement is a 2832-2 ... I glued the dial to the movement holder ring after removing the dial feet. The advantage of gluing the dial to the ring is that it can be set in place and perfectly aligned and then the movement clamps lock the dial and movement together in place. I have done this on more than one occasion with a gen Datejust dial mounted to a 2836-2 movement in a modern rep case. I just completed a purchase of another silver dial with Roman markers and am going to build an all stainless with white gold bezel franken in a gen case. I have obtained a movement holder ring that will mount a 2836-2 movement into a Rolex 16014 case. When completed I will post photos.

Datejust from Andrew

Here is another Datejust modern rep case I put a Genuine Datejust dial into.... I no longer have this watch as I have 2 gen Two Tone Datejusts and found I was not wearing this two tone at all.... I passed it on to DaveNYC. It also originally came from Trusty / Andrew. The movement is also s 2836-2 and also I glued the dial to the movement holder ring after removing the dial feet.

DSCN0424.jpg

So you see a gen Datejust dial can be mounted to a 2836-3 movement into a rep case and it will fit perfectly. Good luck if you decide to try it and if you do please share your experience and pictures. Cheers

Thanks, all the ones I had contained bigger than gen dials. I actually have a rep 16233 case but my dial wont fit, it goes all the way in to the glass. Unless I could find a rep case by itself that fits, it would be about the same cost to buy a whole rep as it would to buy a gen case. Of course, I would have a movement with DW attatched already.....Something to think about in the future, thats for sure.

I love datejusts....so simple and elegant. Here is a pic of my first, from before I found the forum. Long gone now, parted out and such, and this is not a pic of the completed project, just all I have left on this machine. 16014 case with gen base refinished MOP/diamond ebay dial (I'm assuming all those are refinished on the bay) Eventually, I switched to a polished center link oyster:

dial1.jpg

I see....and as for the other watch, posted by fallin, on my other moniter his markers looked gold. Not on this one though. So would it be wrong/incorrect to put my dial into a SS case with a all stainless jubilee?

I do not subscribe to the by the book approach. If you have a case / dial combo you like go for it. I used to have an early 1960's Rolex Oysterdate Precision manual wind that came with all stainless case, bezel and crown and had a black dial with gold markers and gold hands. Rolex sold this watch this way. Pictures are plenty on the internet which can give you an idea of how yellow gold markers and hands look on a all stainless Datejust. My favorite Datejust models are the acrylic crystal versions. Having owned several versions of Datejust I have finally settled on the kind I like best.

Here are my two gens:

18_1_b.jpg

OysterDateRolexWatch.jpg

And a couple I used to own but have since sold:

PyramidDJY.jpg

RhodiumdialdaTJUST.jpg

And a couple of Tudors I once owned:

63_1_b.jpg

EBAYwatchesd005.jpg

So this kind of CN reps with engraved rehaut actually accepts gen dials? :o

Interesting... B)

Very very interesting :D

Yes the all stainless with the silver gen dial I posted and that I linked to on Andrew's site does have the engraved rehaut. I can not remember if the two tone with the gen Rolex anniversary dial definately did or did not. However, I do not think it did.

osworked002.jpg

As a point of interest I tried to put a gen Rolex Daydate dial on a Daydate rep I purchased from Ruby but the day window at the top would not align correctly. The date at three aligned but the day was way off and I just could not get the dial to work.

I also tried to put a gen Rolex dial on a Datejust I purchased from Wackobirdkeeper that came with an cheap Asian movement but the dial would not align with the date at three at all. It was like the Daydate.

What does all this mean to anybody wanting to go the gen dial route with a Datejust rep. Avoid Asian movements. Stick to the 2836-2 movement Datejust in a modern case from Andrew or Josh. Also, a Gen Rolex Daydate dial will not fit an ETA movement.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

I've slightly changed the original title of the post to now ask to post your favourite DJ/DD combination. I have a couple of Datejusts on the way. What do you guys think about a Oyster bracelet on the riveted bezel?

02_03_007_rolex_steel_datejust_blac.jpg

I think the two go really well, with the oyster balancing out the shinyness of the riveted bezel. I've tried to like the Jubilee bracelet but I'm not really feeling it yet. I personally think it looks more older style, but perhaps it might suit me if it were put on a DJ with a smooth bezel:

s10794_rolex_datejust_116200_c.jpg