When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what is an acceptable price for a new genuine submariner??

artoero

Hi guys,

I want to buy a genuine new rolex submariner with date, what is a acceptable price?

I just ask the rolex dealer in Rotterdam- Holland and they offered me a price of 4080,00 euro.

He said that there is a real rush on this watch so he won't give me discount...

Does anybody know where I can save some money?

thanks

arthur

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to buy a genuine new rolex submariner with date, what is a acceptable price?

I just ask the rolex dealer in Rotterdam- Holland and they offered me a price of 4080,00 euro.

They're 4100 here in Paris. They sell as many as they get so don't ever have to discount them.

The problem is that if you aren't willing to pay list for one, there are a dozen people behind you waving fistfuls of dosh ready.

maybe it is....

I think that in many magazines they advertise more and it is a classic watch, over 20 years it is still wearable, so thats why \i go for this one!

That may be true. I was talking with a friend at my local Rolex AD recently and she said she was having problems keeping date subs in stock.

Maybe it's the summer watch?

I bought my submariner in amsterdam at "van gelder" 6 or seven years ago for 7400 guilders (3360 euro) it was brandnew and unworn.

he always has watches like this.

for example a new sea dweller for 3850 euro

http://www.polshorloges.net/polshorloges/r...r683.php?Id=477

give him a ring an see if hee still has a submariner for you.

The 2006 Two-Tone Submariner is $7200.00 here in the States and the best discount most AD's will give you is 5% for a cash purchase.

In Mexico back in December the same watch was $6000.00 and I was able to fanagle a 10% discount. I felt good about picking it up for $5400.00.

You may want to look at different countries as well as different AD's.

justmy2centsforwhatitsworthwhichaintmuch

TT

Hi Guys

Thanks for your aswers!

The point is not that I could not find it, there are a few in stock, the point is, what is acceptable to pay?

Once i,ve heard that juwelaries buy this model in for around 1600-1800 euro. rest is profit!!! So I was wondering what a reasenable price is to pay... what do you think??

greetz arthur

I was in Hong Kong 4 months ago and the AD dealer would not discount either.

like others said, the demand outstrip supply....

Something about new Rolex that the dealers dont discount...

New meaning unworn second-hand in this case.

If it's not an AD, it's not really new.

If you can cope with nearly-new like this, try http://watches.co.uk/

I believe the other problem besides the short supply/huge demand, Rolex SA frowns on dealers discounting. I bought several genuine Rolex watches over the years, and the way some dealers got around the "NO DISCOUNT RULE" is to give you and inflated price for a trade in watch. that way the new watch is documented as sold at full price and you still get a discount. Probably is not as common now if the demand is so great.

Like someone else said, you can save a lot by buying "gently used" on forums like Timezone sales corner etc. I would try there. Also you don't have the tax issue with a private sale. There are lots of very respscted sellers on TZ with tons of refrences, some are in the EU, so no customs hassle either.

Good luck, they are great watch which as you can see hold their value probably better than most.

yeah you right.... :Jumpy:

but always know that it is not real and some friends who had genuine will tell me its a fake....so, I will invest for myself and for my son, if I may get one.... :o

If you pay over 200usd for one you're a fool. (sorry, couldn't resist) :p

Hi Guys

Thanks for your aswers!

The point is not that I could not find it, there are a few in stock, the point is, what is acceptable to pay?

Once i,ve heard that juwelaries buy this model in for around 1600-1800 euro. rest is profit!!! So I was wondering what a reasenable price is to pay... what do you think??

greetz arthur

Come on now, what do you expect they make on their watches? 10% margin plus free mugs?

The average Rolex AD has to put up a ton of money to open or buy his store . . . he has to put up a lot of [censored] from Rolex, probably the most arrogant, pain in the ass company regarding the way it treats its own dealers . . . he has to pay the rent and the employees and security guards and insure several million dollars worth of easily stealable stuff . . . a lot of these guys don't sell 50 Rolexes a day either, it's not a 7-Eleven he's running. So his margin has to reflect the cash flow he needs to generate given the lack of sales volume and the high fixed costs.

I'm not saying Rolexes are a great deal I don't think it's primarily because the dealers are greedy bastards who are ripping you off. You will be hard pressed to even find used, private-party subs for much less than $3000, nobody will sell you a genuine new one for that price unless he needs a kidney.

If you want a new Sub badly but not enough to pay $4000+ (a natural response), 1) go rep; 2) buy a Planet Ocean which is more watch for less money anyway.

Edited by kanerich

If you pay over 200usd for one you're a fool. (sorry, couldn't resist) :p

Seriously, I think that a SS Sub is a very worthwhile purchase. I've personally got a "sub fund" that I'm throwing money at when I get a little extra. There really is nothing like a genuine. I was quoted about 4700usd by my AD so my target savings is 5k. (My problem is that I keep buying reps in the mean time, and diluting my watch collection with the damned things) The extra 1k that I was going to put away actually buys an Overseas, Navitimer, and really only ends up w/ 400.00 in the bank for the real deal.

I guess it's just an occupational hazard after you've discovered reps.

Go for it! I'm sure that you will be glad you got the gen.

Come on now, what do you expect they make on their watches? 10% margin plus free mugs?

The average Rolex AD has to put up a ton of money to open or buy his store . . . he has to put up a lot of [censored] from Rolex, probably the most arrogant, pain in the ass company regarding the way it treats its own dealers . . . he has to pay the rent and the employees and security guards and insure several million dollars worth of easily stealable stuff . . . a lot of these guys don't sell 50 Rolexes a day either, it's not a 7-Eleven he's running. So his margin has to reflect the cash flow he needs to generate given the lack of sales volume and the high fixed costs.

I'm not saying Rolexes are a great deal I don't think it's primarily because the dealers are greedy bastards who are ripping you off. You will be hard pressed to even find used, private-party subs for much less than $3000, nobody will sell you a genuine new one for that price unless he needs a kidney.

If you want a new Sub badly but not enough to pay $4000+ (a natural response), 1) go rep; 2) buy a Planet Ocean which is more watch for less money anyway.

they make a sl on them or they wouldn't sell them.

A reasonable price from a Rolex AD is retail -5%. You'll not get any more as, like I said before, there's someone right behind you willing to pay full retail.

As for the 1800 euro cost, this is the same percentage mark-up as shoes, books, food, toys, lamps, cups ... Does the AD deserve less profit than a greengrocer just because he's selling something you want?

A reasonable price from a Rolex AD is retail -5%. You'll not get any more as, like I said before, there's someone right behind you willing to pay full retail.

As for the 1800 euro cost, this is the same percentage mark-up as shoes, books, food, toys, lamps, cups ... Does the AD deserve less profit than a greengrocer just because he's selling something you want?

i agree fully, i imagine 5% would be about all you would get unless there were some kind of special sale. old stock, over stock, or sudden depressed economy. i imagine somewhere in new orleans there is a new rolex cheap.