When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help with English!

ajoesmith

Right, not exactly a correct title, i can understand the meaning but its just not correct English and have no idea where it came from!

The words:

'My Bad'

For gods sake its awful English! I cant stand it when i hear it.

Where did it come from and why!

Non native English speakers PLEASE DONT USE IT AS ITS NOT CORRECT ENGLISH and GRAMMATICALLY MAKES NO SENSE!

The one that annoys me is when people say what they are doing 'on the weekend'. You do things on boats, on the couch, you are not sitting on top of a time - you do things during the weekend people!

Plice Officer - 'I saw you take the watch from his wrist'

Accused - 'I didn't do nothing'

Double negatives always get me going.

I also seem to hear a lot of people putting the word 'like' into a sentence too e.g.;

It was like a great movie like, but like the only reason I went was because like I didn't have anything better to do.

Right, not exactly a correct title, i can understand the meaning but its just not correct English and have no idea where it came from!

The words:

'My Bad'

For gods sake its awful English! I cant stand it when i hear it.

Where did it come from and why!

Non native English speakers PLEASE DONT USE IT AS ITS NOT CORRECT ENGLISH and GRAMMATICALLY MAKES NO SENSE!

Where did it come from:

The first (and most frequent) use of it, that I am aware of, is from inner-city African-Americans.

Why?:

It is a way of apologizing without having to actually say "I'm sorry..." so probably an easier admission for a someone full of machismo and 'ghetto pride' to make.

I may well be wrong, but those are my thoughts on the expression...

I shall now don my Forum5000 Flame-Proof suit, for the outcries that I am 'being racist' :ph34r:<_<

Oh, if we're discussing phrases we dislike, for me it's any middle class British kids speaking like they're dealing from a Baltimore corner. Phrases like "Playa", "Bro" or "Brah", "Don't hate" or anything similar makes me want to drag them to a crime riddled area of the US and see how long they'd last before they were jacked for their bling and left for dead.

Fo shizzle, aiight?

Ain't no thang.

This slang term originated in about 1970. At that time, i.e. pre the widespread use of the Internet, slang terms often circulated at street level for many years before being adopted by anyone who felt inclined to write them down. That's clearly not the case any longer of course and any word or phrase that is widely known is dateable quite precisely via website logs.

The first citation in print is C. Wielgus and A. Wolff's, 'Back-in-your-face Guide to Pick-up Basketball', 1986:

"My bad, an expression of contrition uttered after making a bad pass or missing an opponent."

'My bad' came into widespread popular use in the mid to late-1990s in the USA via the 1995 movie

Oh, if we're discussing phrases we dislike, for me it's any middle class British kids speaking like they're dealing from a Baltimore corner. Phrases like "Playa", "Bro" or "Brah", "Don't hate" or anything similar makes me want to drag them to a crime riddled area of the US and see how long they'd last before they were jacked for their bling and left for dead.

Fo shizzle, aiight?

Ain't no thang.

I get annoyed seeing Baltimore kids speak like some uppity Englishman.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Also on a continuation from the OP,

When using incorrect English or slang in general terms it unfortunately ends up all around the world,

and becomes bastardised even more.

More hard.......harder

more soft.......softer

more easy......easier

more smart.....smarter

Why on earth did this kind of 2 year old baby talk become popular?

Maybe because English grammar isn`t taught in the classroom , like it once was.

Or simply , fewer people " give a rat`s".

Simply a lowering of standards.

if .."ma baddd" is not acceptable then Hawaii is not the place you want to communicate ... cause ..."ainokea"... I don't care... "wat u tink" .... what you think...

"cause us got one mo betta way of talkin dan u guys"= because we actually understand each other....."an if u no like da way us guy's use mo betta slack key englishh, den dats yo problem"=If you really dont care for the way we annunciate our grammar then that is your problem...

"Wat bodda u ?" =... what's wrong?? does that bother you ?... "cause if can .. can .. if no can.. no can.." =because if you can that's fine.. and if you cannot that's fine also...

"So no make fun eh,.. cause we get our own kine pidgin english.... what ? still bodda U ? Tuff."=So don't be so condesending because we have our own english,.. I hope that doesn't bother you ? If it does .. Oh Well... :D ... B) ..."kay brah? bombye pau.."= okay sir !! because after awhile it will be over..

This is a big palnet .. and it is come together on the internet in milliseconds ... you have your culture.. we have ours and they have theirs ... it's called ... "being different" according to "History" .. 'cultures" and "social norms" the last being what is acceptable by peers and nationality ... but we all have one thing in common.. we are all "earth bound" and no one culture is above the other when it comes down to it... we all breathe and live...on one planet...

if .."ma baddd" is not acceptable then Hawaii is not the place you want to communicate ... cause ..."ainokea"... I don't care... "wat u tink" .... what you think...

"cause us got one mo betta way of talkin dan u guys"= because we actually understand each other....."an if u no like da way us guy's use mo betta slack key englishh, den dats yo problem"=If you really dont care for the way we annunciate our grammar then that is your problem...

"Wat bodda u ?" =... what's wrong?? does that bother you ?... "cause if can .. can .. if no can.. no can.." =because if you can that's fine.. and if you cannot that's fine also...

"So no make fun eh,.. cause we get our own kine pidgin english.... what ? still bodda U ? Tuff."=So don't be so condesending because we have our own english,.. I hope that doesn't bother you ? If it does .. Oh Well... :D ... B) ..."kay brah? bombye pau.."= okay sir !! because after awhile it will be over..

This is a big palnet .. and it is come together on the internet in milliseconds ... you have your culture.. we have ours and they have theirs ... it's called ... "being different" according to "History" .. 'cultures" and "social norms" the last being what is acceptable by peers and nationality ... but we all have one thing in common.. we are all "earth bound" and no one culture is above the other when it comes down to it... we all breathe and live...on one planet...

AMEN to dat, Brah!

AMEN to dat, Brah!

bruddah H... Cuz,.... us guy's say Amene... same... Amen

Aloha Ke Akua.....God is Love..." Akua". different but same ... Ohana ..=Family,.. different but same...but I wouldn't speak the pidgin if I went to Cali.. no one would understand,,.... cept U brah... :lol:

I don't like it when people spontaneously change the meaning of words. For example "random". All the kids these days, everything is random. You see a sports car driving fast, it's random. You get a telemarketer call you, it's random. You get Hamburger Helper for lunch, oh you better believe it is RANDOM. Damn it all to hell.

Another one I hate is "gonna." I have heard very intelligent, successful people ramble on with "gonna" "wanna" "shoulda" etc. and it burns my biscuits like there's no tomorrow.

But the last, and most horrible thing that annoys me when I'm conversing with people is when they repeat the last few words of every sentence I say in an effort to look like they're listening. Now, if you're careful and know what you're doing, this can work. But if you just nod your damn head and repeat the last few words of each sentence you're not going to fool me. It especially does NOT help when you're clearly distracted looking at something else BLARGH.

Second most annoying thing is when I've just spent 5 minutes explaining something and I get a two word reply like "oh yea" and then SILENCE. Like I'm your goddam story teller or what? What is this a radio show? Conversation = participation.

Arg blarg ugh grrr.

I don't like it when people spontaneously change the meaning of words. For example "random". All the kids these days, everything is random. You see a sports car driving fast, it's random. You get a telemarketer call you, it's random. You get Hamburger Helper for lunch, oh you better believe it is RANDOM. Damn it all to hell.

Another one I hate is "gonna." I have heard very intelligent, successful people ramble on with "gonna" "wanna" "shoulda" etc. and it burns my biscuits like there's no tomorrow.

But the last, and most horrible thing that annoys me when I'm conversing with people is when they repeat the last few words of every sentence I say in an effort to look like they're listening. Now, if you're careful and know what you're doing, this can work. But if you just nod your damn head and repeat the last few words of each sentence you're not going to fool me. It especially does NOT help when you're clearly distracted looking at something else BLARGH.

Second most annoying thing is when I've just spent 5 minutes explaining something and I get a two word reply like "oh yea" and then SILENCE. Like I'm your goddam story teller or what? What is this a radio show? Conversation = participation.

Arg blarg ugh grrr.

ah yeah. very true.

(sorry 'couldnt' resist)

I come across the same thing in my line of work. Mostly my managers have been non techy and feel that they have to repeat the last line of my statement to try and express their understanding thus authority. here is an example conversation..

ME: "our MySQL server been hitting load average of 3. this is possibly due to the cron-jobs not running on the server."

BOSS: "load average 3... load average 3 eh? yeah i need you to look at those cronjobs " (clueless facial expression)

me: "since the server is quad core xeon/pheon/(made up word), load average 3 is not as bad"

boss: "yeah just what i thought.. phew"

btw: any of you follow BOFH?

Follow it? It's my job!

Luckily, I only manage servers these days. No more IT Support, yay!

yaaaay, a fellow "geek".. lol. you dont happen to work for rackspace by any chance do you?

sorry if this drifting off-topic

I loved BOFH, it was good in its hayday. the new ones are a little less funny and very unrealistic.

btw: you might already know of these geek ones:

http://xkcd.com/

http://bash.org/