When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Intimidating Rep - does it exist?

Gil

I was in Las vegas over the weekend and had a conversation with a guy wearing a Rolex all gold Pres/Day Date. or at least it appeared to be a gen Rolex. He was talk-active, very confident, and the president of a large furniture manufacturing company. This was their convention. I was wearing a gen Panerai 127. It seemed as if he was flashing his Rolex during our conversation in line at the hotel's check-in. I was tempted to ask to look at his watch further to see if it was real. But, I must admit, I was a bit hesitant to ask - I didn't want to offend him. It seemed as if he could afford a gen all gold/solid gold Rolex but you never know, particularly after seeing some great reps here. I own gens as well as reps and am always looking for the best rep so i was curious. I did not ask. The thing is in Las vegas I see sooooo many Rolex watches that I rarely take notice.

This leads to my question: Are there some watches that you see in the wild that you do not question whether or not they are gen? I guess I'm at a point where I question all watches now.

Thanks!!!

This leads to my question: Are there some watches that you see in the wild that you do not question whether or not they are gen? I guess I'm at a point where I question all watches now.

Thanks!!!

Because it's part of the fun and I don't know every watch that has ever been repped, I question every decent watch I lay my eyes on. However I never question the wearer; picking up on your point above, I don't believe it's in good taste.

Edited by Greystash

This leads to my question: Are there some watches that you see in the wild that you do not question whether or not they are gen?

Never question the unrepped special stuff. :)

Stuff like the UN Freak or any clever tourbillon, if it's too unusual to rep, it's gen.

I may think about it but I dont come out and ask. Most of the time you only get glimpses of peoples watch, so its usually hard to tell.

People couldn't care less about watches, generally it seems watchtalk is best left alone unfortunately.

I saw a guy where I work the other day with a chronomat evo on a rubber B strap. We were standing in line waiting for the ATM. I said "nice Breitling", and got "thanks". Sure, I wanted to know more, but I just got the blow-off reply.. To me thats more of a tell then anything. :)

its rare to get a good watch conversation going "in the wild", which is why this forum is so enjoyable for a lot of us.

Here, we could talk about watches all day........outside, we look/see, make good comments! But that's about it! I think asking someone if their watch is a rep is down right wrong, offensive and insulting and you deserve a blackeye :boxing::vava: if you do!

I guess was not clear in my comment. I was not going to ask the guy if his watch was real or a rep. i was just going to ask to get a closer look. I have never asked someone if their watch was real and never will ask. I just wanted a closer look as i have always flirted with the idea of buying a gen all gold President some day.

I guess was not clear in my comment. I was not going to ask the guy if his watch was real or a rep. i was just going to ask to get a closer look. I have never asked someone if their watch was real and never will ask. I just wanted a closer look as i have always flirted with the idea of buying a gen all gold President some day.

Actually sorry Gil. I knew that's what you meant and I tried to touch on that when I wrote "picking up on your point" but I think I should have written that response more clearly.

I know what you are saying... Are there watches out there that when you see them, you don't think (for even a second) that they are reps. My answer is I can't really think of any...like you I assume most of the classics have been repped at some stage in SS or Gold. I like checking the net to find out though. :)

Thanks!!!

Yes, Casio and timex watch, I'm sure they are GEN, always ;)

Seriously, that depend who wore the watch. A president of a big company, I can be sure he wore a GEN Rolex or a GEN HBB when he's in public. Imagine if he is caugh with a rep in a meeting or a cocktail, imagine his "reputation" and his image !!! He is burned :shocking:

i question all rollies i see. most counterfieted watch right... i can never get close enough to see the fine details to figure it out, which i guess gives me some relief against being called out myself in an every day situation...

last one i saw i swear was a SSD but like i said, couldnt get close enough to tell.

you can be rich and still not be able to justify spending $20K on a watch. i mean 20grand is 20grand and there are a lot of other things that can buy even if you are a millionaire. a rep is a fraction of that.

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

People like compliments, so stick with that. I saw a trucker at the truck stop by my house last weekend with a TT Sub on....I said awesome watch dude....He said "Hey thanks, man" and beamed. Don't really see a need to question authenticity besides curiousity. Not that I don't give every watch a twice over every chance I get.

Agreed. Asking if a watch is gen seems like the worst manners, especially if the thing is a blatant fake. Who am I to spoil somebody's fun ?

I wear some great reps to work and I've only been complimented twice. One was my Beginmariner and I told the guy it was a fake. The other was my white SOSF. I said, " Thanks. It's a Breitling." I felt kind of bad about doing that.

I recently had a couple appointments with an MD.

The first time he had the cheeziest of faded gold plated Navitimers on. I said " Nice Breitling !"

Last time I saw him he had on a breathtakingly beautiful TT Rolex with the blue dial.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a fantasy watch or else it was made for a limited Japanese market.

Either it was gen or it was one of the top of the line triple plated jobs that TTK was selling at one time.

At any rate, it was an intimidating watch.

I've seen someone wearing a freak at my workplace, very cool watch (and cool dude wearing it). I've also seen a guy hairdresser in my building wearing a fully diamond encrusted Santos 100 that I'm certain is a rep. Got a closer look at the freak, and way more than an eyeful of the diamond santos.

Even though I live in a fairly watch-barren part of the world, I've now seen two tourbys in the wild... one the B&R and the other a Piaget. Both were breathtaking and both wearers were happy to have a quick discussion.

I even got to handle the B&R... talk about a spectacular watch. I never thought that a tourby would go well with that "tool" watch look.... I was wrong.

And I'd be willing to guess that rep timex and casio's do exist.... anything that a repmaker can make money on will be repped by someone. I'd be willing to guess they can be found at your local flea-market.

I'm pretty sure that is the exact same picture twice. Shadows and image noise can't be %100 identical in two different pictures. I mean even the stitching in the leather bands are exactly the same...

Yeah, I wish they could rep the Sub that well!