When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New camera... Testing out some new pics...

ubiquitous

Hey gang,

I just rec'd my first D-SLR, so I'm a bit excited about my new toy (prior cameras, both Canon Powershots were destroyed by my darling 2 year old daughter). Thought I'd try a few pics; bear with me as I'm still figuring out the learning curve, but so far I'm having some fun!

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Currently, my only lens is an 18 - 55mm; I figure once I start figuring this thing out, I'll start looking into other lenses.

I'd love to hear some thoughts or comments on improvement...

:)

All the best and much appreciated!

R

Great photos Ubi... and what watches!!! :wub: Is that 16610 a gen?

Technically the pics are very good. Personally, I would probably use a bit more light (to bring up things like bracelet brushing details, etc). But nothing wrong with darker pics, either. I guess it's more like a taste thing. The granite is your trademark, but sometimes colorful surfaces can also make wonders.

Keep 'em coming, always love your pics mate! They're very artistic and you have developed your own "style".

Looks good for a first go at it, R! Which body did you get?

Recommendations include the 100/2.8 macro lens (incredible for these shots), a good sturdy tripod (gitzo is a personal favorite) and cable shutter release, shooting in aperture priority mode and setting a small aperture (big F stop number) so as to give large depth of field, and above all else have fun!

PS Didn't know you still had a 16610?

Looking good Ubi. I still have a lot to learn myself and I have not even ventured into the SLR's yet. Prolly don't need to either. lol

Children, sometimes you love them so much you want to rip their little heads off.

I kid because I too have been on the receiving end of their mishaps. :)

These are beautiful photos! But I think the camera type is irrelevant because the previous ones you took looked phenomenal as well. This is a mix of quality equipment and talent... you need both to get results like this.

Thanks for the post and how about some wrist shots?

Ubi -- Looks good so far. But my guess is that the camera is capable of some highly detailed macros. So I would love to see some really close-ups of the hand stack or bezel grain or the depth of the bezel engraving on the 16520.

I would also love to know the model of the camera & MP rating?

These are beautiful photos! But I think the camera type is irrelevant because the previous ones you took looked phenomenal as well. This is a mix of quality equipment and talent... you need both to get results like this.

I second Corgi's comment Ubi.

Your photos have allways been great anyway :rolleyes:

Ubi -- Looks good so far. But my guess is that the camera is capable of some highly detailed macros. So I would love to see some really close-ups of the hand stack or bezel grain or the depth of the bezel engraving on the 16520.

I would also love to know the model of the camera & MP rating?

Exif:

# Camera Make = Canon

# Camera Model = Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT

The 18-55mm lens can be reversed to be used as a Macro: Photo Tutorial - DSLR reverse Macro

Nice pics Ubi!

I've been kicking around purchasing a DSLR for a while too (and still). I thought I had it down to a Nikon D80, but now I'm considering waiting for the new Canon G10. Up to now, all of my pics struggle with an old Canon 2mp Elph!

I'd love to see some new detailed macros of your beautiful Daytonas :)

Thanks, gang! Appreciate the advice, and I'll check out those reverse adaptors for the lens! Think my next addition will be a polarizing filter... And, eventually a new lens.

BTW... The Camera is a Canon Rebel XT EOS. Price was right, and after being camera-less for a few days, I've really come to realize how much I love having one! Even more so with the D-SLR... Pics are so much easier to take, and best of all, far less noise with this one vs. my last two. In the short time span that I've had this one, I can say that my interest is renewed...

Thanks again, and cheers,

R