When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about Tag HEUER "Link" and "Link Chronograph"

infinitime

Alright, I've poured over all the postings on this site, and the consensus seems to be that that LINK and the LINK Chronograph reps are VERY close to the original, particularly in terms of dial text, case and bracelet. In fact, the only noticeable flaws I've found are 1) a slighted non-centered date display; and 2) one of the three o'clock baton markers seem to be crooked (ironically, the only crooked one was on a dealer's website!) :)

Now, I know that the original comes in 2824 and 2892 ETA variants, so the 2824 is correct for this watch, the only concern I have is that the movement spacer in the LINK and the LINK Chronograph reps seem to be rather cheap looking. If you review the pictures, they seem to show a simple brass movement "ring", which surrounds the movement. I have not seem a picture of an genuine with its back off, but i suspect (based on past experience with genuine Tag Heuer watches) that the spacer would more likely be a well-machined piece of steel, as opposed to the cheap stamped brass ring found in the rep....

Does anyone have a picture of the genuine item with the caseback off?

As for those who say that it doesn't matter, as it is hidden behind a solid caseback, I would say that it would be a shame to cut corners on such a simple part, when everything else is so close to being perfect. Judging by the more intricately shaped movement spacer in my Franck Muller Conquistador 8005 rep, I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to produce a "proper" looking spacer for the LINK models.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait for it.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..whilst you're waiting...everyone else is enjoyingh theirs......woops.....wot's that.....no more production......!

Wait for it.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..whilst you're waiting...everyone else is enjoyingh theirs......woops.....wot's that.....no more production......!

Spoken like a true sales guy... trying to build up the hype for a less-than-perfect product... Unlike you, most of us here are enthusists who are interested in seeing constant improvement in the product, rather than trying to fleece the consumer

Unlike you, most of us here are enthusists who are interested in seeing constant improvement in the product, rather than trying to fleece the consumer

:lol::lol::lol: ..Spoken like a true noobie.....altho' with 156 posts.....you must have made them all in the GGG section.......you're just being anal.....if you want the correct spacer.....go buy an original...... :bangin:

Edited by TTK

:lol::lol::lol: ..Spoken like a true noobie.....altho' with 156 posts.....you must have made them all in the GGG section.......you're just being anal.....if you want the correct spacer.....go buy an original...... :bangin:

Maybe still a novice, but that certainly doesn't detract from my posting.... In fact, I've purchased five reps so far, from three different dealers on this board... somehow, i doubt that i would buy from an ass like you anytime soon, maybe i'm just "anal" in expecting a mature response to a reasonable question.

btw, good response "...go buy an original..." guess that is basically your standard answer when your customers complain about defects in products purchased from you?

Wow....5x reps....you're really up to speed...huh sport....watch out for the curves......!

i doubt that i would buy from an ass like you anytime soon,

Hey honey ...call up MB and cancel that Maybach......and cancel the annual trip to the Hamptons......infinitime ain't placing any orders with me......how are we gonna get the kids thru' college.....woe is me......:lol

As a novice you'll soon learn that if you dont strike while the iron is hot.....your shirts ain't gonna get pressed......whilst it's all very well to have wishful thinking.....it's probably better if it's directed at areas that REALLY matter......like the cosmetics of a watch.....the spacer is about as important as your opinion.......not very.....!

Wow....5x reps....you're really up to speed...huh sport....watch out for the curves......!

Hey honey ...call up MB and cancel that Maybach......and cancel the annual trip to the Hamptons......infinitime ain't placing any orders with me......how are we gonna get the kids thru' college.....woe is me......:lol

As a novice you'll soon learn that if you dont strike while the iron is hot.....your shirts ain't gonna get pressed......whilst it's all very well to have wishful thinking.....it's probably better if it's directed at areas that REALLY matter......like the cosmetics of a watch.....the spacer is about as important as your opinion.......not very.....!

fortunately, i am not the only one who feels that way about your customer service skills... better quit now, before you take over from Paul as the least credible of dealers...

as for the Hamptons and Maybach, i would venture to guess that since you are hawking reps, a more realistic goal for you would be Compton and a Pinto. Good luck with that.

Although I do agree that the spacer is not a big issue at all, come on TTK, there has to be a politer way of saying that.

That being said, I don't think that this is enough of a concern such that manufactuers will change it. I don't think it affects sales too much.

If it really bugs you, you can ask The Zigmeister or somebody else who works on watches if it's possible to retrofit a spacer.

as for the Hamptons and Maybach, i would venture to guess that since you are hawking reps, a more realistic goal for you would be Compton and a Pinto. Good luck with that.

Well....you keep sending those GENUINE $$$$...and we dealers might make it to the Hamptons......whilst you're serving the Margaritas ...pretending you've arrived...because hey.....you got a TAG Link on your wrist.....WHOAA....no you haven't ...'cos you're waiting for a GOOD LOOKING spacer.....you never know.....one of those rich kids might just out ya..... :lol:

BTW.....you've been here since March 06 and you've bought 5x reps......I've been on for 4 hours and sold 8 Po's and a couple of other niceties.....Hamptons here I come....! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by TTK

Well....you keep sending those GENUINE $$$$...and we dealers might make it to the Hamptons......whilst you're serving the Margaritas ...pretending you've arrived...because hey.....you got a TAG Link on your wrist.....WHOAA....no you haven't ...'cos you're waiting for a GOOD LOOKING spacer.....you never know.....one of those rich kids might just out ya..... :lol:

As I have stated time and again, for some of us, the attraction in collecting reps is based on an appreciation of the forger's craft, and how close one is able to replicate another item. For other's, it is simply about squeezing money out of customers. To each his own I guess... I am just thankful that the dealers which I deal with are more reputable, and at least care to treat their customers with civility.

Edited by infinitime

And of course I don't have the capacity to appreciate the forger's art...but you do..20 years of collecting reps wasted.....what could I have been thinking.......guess I'll just have to stick to originals then.....:D

BTW.....you're not a customer....so I don't have to treat you with civility.....!

Edited by TTK

Actually the only real surprise to me about the spacer is that it's brass, I would have thought plastic. :blink:

Ken

Yeah actually I looked at Andrew's pictures of the caseback, that's a very high quality spacer compared to the plastic ones we typically see.

Am now really curious about the spacer on the original... :)

I was considering getting one myself but I'm really concerned about the spacer quality keeping the ultra reliable asian 7750b1 in place!! Seriously it has a solid case back.

@infinitime......!

Let me apologise to you......I maybe kicked off on you...uneccesesarily......it just seems that you are fretting over something which isn't really that important.....whilst I understand that it would be great if the rep manufacturers would take ALL of the factors into consideration when they make a rep.....they won't...especially when it's a closed back model.....I mean.....how many times would you open the caseback......especially on a mainstream item like a TAG Link......so as long as the spacer doesn't affect the functioning of the watch.....it's of absolutely no real importance......I was trying to point that out in a jocular fashion....but at the same time trying to point out that it is sometimes a case of 'he who hesitates is lost'....ask some of the members who wish they had bought an MBW when Maria was selling them....but held off for a rainy day.....or some of the guys who held off on the good 007's......they disappeared......so when I say 'strike while the iron is hot'....I mean it....not the least of which is the fact that it's getting harder and harder to trade reps.....the day WILL come when PP crashes on all of us...and we won't be left with many viable options.....and that also applies to the crackdown that is happening worldwide at present......you've not been around long enough to notice much change......others have.....!

So once again....I offer you an apology......I was just ragging on you.....and you took up the cudgel.....and I responded......!

Edited by TTK

I think the recent releases (TAG Link, Breitling Navi, PO 4th and 45mm, VC Overseas, Rlx ExpII, etc. etc.) have been exceptionally good. They are actually so good that these might start SERIOUSLY disturbing Swatch, Rolex, Richmont group... and other high end watch manufacturers very soon. Also the possible changes in China/EU/USA customs policy might affect the rep availability in the future.

A bit over a year ago I bought a fully modded 16610 and paid premium for it. It was arguably the best one available. Now we get MUCH more accurate rep (out of box, without any mods) for $150 with ETA movement. Year ago people would have paid $500 for those reps without blinking an eye.

Yes, the new TAG Link Chronograph rep is amazing. I suggest you buy it before it's too late. Sometimes we get improved versions, but it rarely happens when the rep is so close as the current one available. Just a while ago there were ZERO 7750-based TAG reps available. You either live with the miniscule flaws for 1/15 of the price or buy the genuine. I mean, how much better we except them to be, realistically? People were happily buying day/date faux chrono versions of Breilting Bentleys just 12 months ago...and now we suddenly need absolute 100% perfection for $250? Come on!!!

Reps are usually improving but not always. New versions of Omega Seamaster/007, Rolex GMT Master II and some other models have been worse than the old batch. I don't know how long those MBW vintage models have been in production, but after all these years the rep factories haven't been able to produce better 1680 or DRSD... or something that's even remotely like the MBW in quality. I suspect PO 4th gen becomes similar "cult watch" here, eventually.

We have discussed this before... but I agree that we might be living the golden age of reps. That's probably what Neil was trying to tell you (he definitely could use some charming lessons though). :lol: By the way, that reminds me... I need to buy a new watch before it's too late. (good excuse for a watch addict) ;)

Edited by By-Tor

Oh well....looks like my apology wasn't accepted......he's spat his dummy out of the pram......and run away with his ball......nobody gets to play now.......looks like the truth hurt......!

@BT.....hurry....hurry....hurry.......wait till you see what I have coming......:D

I have ben trying to start a new company the past 6 months and havn't been able to particpate on this board since the "switch". I have a question for TTK and By-tor, I hear you guys mentioning get them now before it is too late. Can you please explain this to me better. Do they just stop making the watches of a certain model, or are you talking about stoping the rep trade all together? I'm just curious, becuase I have read many times about a certain model that is no longer available, one that was a good rep, why is this? Thanks in adavnce for your reply.

BTW Neil, on this subject are you going to be selling any more Links in the near future. i have been holding out to buy yours cause your pictures are so damn nice. Any chance of getting the blue dialed ones? and by the way you gotta remember there arent any stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions.

Dustin

Edited by ToothDoc

I have ben trying to start a new company the past 6 months and havn't been able to particpate on this board since the "switch". I have a question for TTK and By-tor, I hear you guys mentioning get them now before it is too late. Can you please explain this to me better. Do they just stop making the watches of a certain model, or are you talking about stoping the rep trade all together? I'm just curious, becuase I have read many times about a certain model that is no longer available, one that was a good rep, why is this? Thanks in adavnce for your reply.

It's probably an exaggeration to say "buy it now before it's too late" in most cases. But like we said... it's impossible to buy the "old factory" Omegas anymore. Those were superb reps: the white & black Seamaster GMT's, 007 and the 2255.80. Rumor has it that this particular rep factory got busted.

For some strange reason only select few dealers can source the MBW's...thus the high price tag on them. Most popular brands like Omegas, PAMs and Rollies usually improve constantly because they're very easy to sell. Some nice brands, like TAG, Zenith, Ebel and IWC are rare to see in the "high end" replica catalogs. If some particular model won't sell they probably just vanish from the market and never reappear... except in cheap faux chrono/quartz incarnations. That's why sometimes it can be wise to buy "before it's too late".

Some older models are better and more accurate reps than the ones that's currently available. Like this Seamaster. They still make very good and solid rep version of this watch but I doubt they'll ever make it as good as it once was. The 007 model was even better. It was virtually indistinguishable, even the movement was decorated like the genuine.

Maybe the factory that did these just sold all their stock and stopped producing it... and the new ones come from another factory? Just speculation from my part, the dealers can probably answer this better.

82017-30191.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

You're right on Bytor. I was fortunate enough to buy the Omega 007 a few years ago. I purchased another version six months ago and it doesn't compare.

They make a batch, sell 'em and move on. Same with the Pam 196. the original cases are much more accurate than the ones now. And MBW's are still much better than other vintage rolex reps (which have gotten MUCH better).

Who knows how long this party will last. So enjoy it now.

Exactly what I said in my post to "infiniMINI-ME"......but "infiniMINI-ME".. took it too seriously.....I mean if I look at his response...!

Spoken like a true sales guy...

I've never ever seen myself as a true sales guy.....if I were...I'd be a damn sight more civil to buffoons like this...!

trying to build up the hype..!

Trying to build up hype.....and here was me thinking that it was all the work I did in the studio.....I could have saved myself hundreds of man hours....simply by telling everyone...Buy Now...Buy Now....!.

for a less-than-perfect product...!

Well......I've always thought they were less than perfect......even the genuines are less than perfect....!

Unlike you, most of us here are enthusists who are interested in seeing constant improvement in the product

And here was I thinking that the 20+ years I've spent collecting reps......kinda entitled me to the epithet 'enthusiast'......how cruel of "infiniMINI-ME".. to bring me crashing to earth with such a bang....I'll never be the same again....!

rather than trying to fleece the consumer

I suppose at $99.00 with free shipping........ prices that are way below most others....I must still be perceived as fleecing my customers.......perhaps I should abandon the small margin that I make to cover my costs and just give them away in future....!

But what do I know......I'm just a lowlife no-culture klassless scrape off his shoe kinda guy that 'hawks' watches to connoisuer afficionado enthusiasts like "infiniMINI-ME".......and of course I know 'nussing' (spoken schulzy style )......about ze world of uhrenwerken......genyoowine or moody...... :wounded1:

Edited by TTK

.......wait till you see what I have coming......:D

Please tell me it's the 7750 based Carrera! Or better yet, the auto aquaracer! Whatever it is, I am sure it will be awesome if you're alreday building us up.

@infintime - I doubt the Gen uses a spacer at all. The purpose of a spacer is to allow enough extra space to modify a design by changing movement without redmachining existing parts, or redesigning.

In the rep world, generally a plastic spacer is considered less desirable and a brass ring is considered to be more robust (more desirable). If it's the look you don't like, take it and get it plated. Then, the few times you remove the caseback to gaze at the movement you'll be satisfied.

Rarely do reps get as good as the current TAG link. It is much closer to Gen than the latest Rolex and Omega reps. It's even closer than the famous 4th gen PO. If you like the design you should definitely get one now. I think TTK is right in suggesting that it won't always be available. TAG already takes a back seat in the rep world. When the Carreras start to surface I imagine the Links will get scarce. You can even interchage the vracelet with the gen for crying out loud. I doubt you will ever see better in a rep.